Hawker Siddeley/BAe 125

The biggest physical change to check for is the size if the under fuselage fairing in front of the wing, which needs shortening and the number and position of the windows. The Airfix Dominie can be converted to a Series 1, Series 3 or Series 400. For the Series 600 and Series 700 you'll need to base it on a Matchbox HS 125-600 kit and for the Series 800 and Series 1000 you'll need the Sword C-29A/BAe 125-800. I recommend "Hawker: the Story of the 125" by Bill Gunston as a reference - available on Abebooks for about £7.00 + p&p, not bad for a hardback. It includes GA drawings in one of the appendices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

I have just been on the Abebooks UK website and ordered the book at £24 with free postage, which was the cheapest copy of the 9 available.

Looks like the two which were at £7 have gone, but they were there Sunday night.

A couple of 'corrections' needed on the Dominie kit...

The undercarriage bays need the apertures and wheel assemblies moved forward by 6mm (this is a killer - having done it, I wondered if I'd have ben better using Matchbox wings, but then, the u/c appertures and doors seem to be a different shape!)

The wing fences need to be moved inward 10mm (easier to do, but again, the Matchbox wing has the correct position).

Additionally, the civil version often had some extra windows, plus, be careful aligning the starboard fuselage door, on mine it gave a badly mis-aligned window.

Hope this helps and doesn't put anyone off :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice chaps. It sounds like the Matchbox kit would be better, or the Sword BAe 125-800 and make this as it is but with civil decals, if I can find any suitable.