Another Ma.k Sternail. The Ausf F. Finished

I started this one in January, and it doesn't seem to have taken that long, though battling the Winter cold wasn't much fun.

There is a build thread, here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104485-another-mak-sternail-the-ausf-f/

The basic shape is wood which was then clad with various types and shapes of plastic. All hail the bits boxes!

The scale is 1/35th. Length of the model is around 64cm. 

TtW7OZ9.jpg

These are the first pictures of the ship with the sponsons fitted. They work as well as I'd hoped.

e9eMg0a.jpg

Detail painting has been carried out, BTW, but not too much weathering, as such.

cDhA5C6.jpg

The Kamov fuselage blended in well.

eEQsyiB.jpg

The blue and yellow are the unit/Squadron colours (would I lie to you) chosen at random (yeah, right).

The decal in the centre is a cut down car decal. Hopefully it now means, we will even see you in the dark of space.

The other two decals there would be unit citations. Sorry @voozet I forgot to add the letters you suggested. 

The round thing that looks like a button, was a button. Now side thrusters.

DXFpvXG.jpg

I found the sharks mouth in the decal boxes. It had to be done. That's another thruster ahead of it. 

9RGF3M1.jpg

Rocket pods, ex 1/24th Harrier and dressed up a bit. I forgot the connecting cable between those two holes. Doh.

NEbcMv4.jpg

Just a close up of the unit markings. Looking battered, but defiant. 

82QOcMq.jpg

The entry hatch. It was a plastic spoon. The number is so the pilot takes the correct ship! 

Many years ago I remember when a Wessex crew climbed in and started up the wrong one!

AiTNvsc.jpg

Underneath at the rear. Solar panel mountings, loco and tank bits.

6PmiMts.jpg

Centre fuselage. A couple of jet fuselage nose pieces and other bits. The Lunar Diver Stingray uses A-4 Skyhawk nose sections!

G8QQiyZ.jpg

Forward of that we have a bit of 1/24th Merlin engine.

xcXkHO6.jpg

Still moving forward. The numbers are on the top of a loco. Oh look, a tank wheel.

ge0aRxN.jpg

And then we went outside. Just to prove that I painted the other side. The pods and sponsons have their own I.D. numbers BTW.

ARUFPSs.jpg

Close up of a sponson in the sunlight. The overall colour is a mix of green and grey Tamiya drab.

cq3LRNY.jpg

The other half of the Kamov. These widen the fuselage to make the cabin wider & so more comfortable for the pilot.

SFmxTR5.jpg

The engines. Mostly car & loco wheel bits and various bits box parts. The Sponson rears are from loco tenders.

Ayu6841.jpg

Solar panels in the sunlight.

0XEbh7g.jpg

And in closeup. 

I hope you like the pictures. Any comments or questions will be welcome. Thanks for looking.

Next weekend I'm away from home, So the next build should begin in early April. Cheers, Pete

• Like 22

There is just about every mechanical vehicle ever made represented in one very tidy spaceship, even down to a canteen spoon..😃

That looks superb Pete and the colour is bang on the money, looking sharp in the sunlight and all those greeblies really bring it to life.

Great build.

• Thanks 1

Looks great to me Pete, Sadly as much as I want to Ma.K. my stash couldn't support scratch building one. I have plenty of greeblies but nothing to use as a base. Though was considering a 1/144 submarine or similar ? I was lucky to find that what amounts to a hobby shop not too far away from me carry the actual kits. They had about 1/2 dozen of various types & 2 nutrockers on discount recently. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/nitto-mak-series-19-nutrocker-pkh-103-1a--194443

• Like 1

Jebus Pete: that's one heck of a craft - a set of quotes from other vehicles put together to create a new poem. Looking especially awesome in the sunlit shots! :clap:

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the compliments, Chaps. As I say, apart from the cold it was a really enjoyable build. 

It's on a stand in the pictures, but I may hang it up in the mancave to fly in formation with my other one.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Go for it! Though it is habit forming :laugh: Discounted kreiger stuff is very rare in my experience.

It normally goes for a premium over here due to lack of stock in the shops. I do have some proper kits but seem to prefer scratch building.

If you look at the build thread I think it shows that I just used lengths of wood for this one. They were from a large picture frame found in a dumpster!

On my previous Sternail I built up the basic shape by using strips of thin wood and balsa to create something like an RC Aircraft fuselage.

Cheap superglue sticks the wood together nicely. And the plastic card to the wood. This way you can control size & shape and it's cheap too!

I get part/scrap kits from the bay, and every so often I get donations of surplus kit parts from kind fellow modellers on here. 

For inspiration  have a look at maschinenkrueger.com or some of the Sci fi blogs on tumbler.com. 

• Thanks 1

Great build with a bit of everything going on in there. That first shot, the side view, makes it look particularly huge and threatening. I like the outdoor shots as well as that harsh sunlight suits the military paint scheme, adds a touch of bleached to it as per Saving Private Ryan.

On a different subject, I think your fence needs creosoting... :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

We need more crashed and rusting spaceships over there

There might be one over here before too long.....

Committing to a group build, however, could be difficult given my limited modelling time. I'm still in the very early planning stage anyway.

Disparate model parts tend not to just fall together. I'll get back to you when I know more.

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

On a different subject, I think your fence needs creosoting... :)

Currently awaiting funds from the domestic manager of the house.... Plus time and a nice dry day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1