M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" 1/35 - RFM

Patrykd

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Patrykd said:

Ok guys. Painting proces in progress. Shadows laid. Then base coat and two highlights.

09835d90a1b8c75bcbff3754d2ddbc4b.jpg

a7f642b9cee61913802674bf8edbee10.jpg

176e8347e850c3645062689e8f3b347d.jpg

65260cb437a80c8cddd41bbeff7722fc.jpg

fb994e471eca496bb7f78ad7f4cc5734.jpg

That looks awesome! Great painting skills.

Apologies for bringing these up at this stage but I haven't looked in for a while.  Easy 8's don't really interest me because of their very limited combat use in WW2.  But there are a few little problems, all correctable at this stage before final paint. 

Your commander's vane sight is back to front: taller end to the front.

The commander's hatch handle wouldn't protrude beyond the hatch rim like that.  It moved entirely within the hatch diameter.

The blanket rack is mounted too far out.  The front portion of the top brackets up to the hinge line should be on top of the upper rear hull so that the upright part of the rack is roughly parallel with the rear hull angle.  Picture courtesy of Sherman Minutia.

spacer.png

You can get away with the greener 1944 shade of OD No9 on this one as it is a very late configuration.  That probably didn't reach theatres until 1945.  Most Shermans in WW2 would have been the earlier browner shade and you can only really use the later shade on HVSS tanks, whose production did not begin until Sept 44.

Edited by Das Abteilung
Saved too soon

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Apologies for bringing these up at this stage but I haven't looked in for a while.  Easy 8's don't really interest me because of their very limited combat use in WW2.  But there are a few little problems, all correctable at this stage before final paint. 

Your commander's vane sight is back to front: taller end to the front.

The commander's hatch handle wouldn't protrude beyond the hatch rim like that.  It moved entirely within the hatch diameter.

The blanket rack is mounted too far out.  The front portion of the top brackets up to the hinge line should be on top of the upper rear hull so that the upright part of the rack is roughly parallel with the rear hull angle.  Picture courtesy of Sherman Minutia.

spacer.png

You can get away with the greener 1944 shade of OD No9 on this one as it is a very late configuration.  That probably didn't reach theatres until 1945.  Most Shermans in WW2 would have been the earlier browner shade and you can only really use the later shade on HVSS tanks, whose production did not begin until Sept 44.

Thank you fort your comment. For me it's too late to make corrections in this stage. I have just laid another paint coat. In the future I'm going to build another sherman easy eight with interior. So I'm able to make some minor corrections (handle, blanket rack, etc.)

Commander's vane sight is in correct position. Please check this foto. Taller part is on the back.

669f3753ba80eb5dba7a68f248bfb3fe.jpg

Edited by Patrykd

42 minutes ago, Patrykd said:

Commander's vane sight is in correct position. Please check this foto. Taller part is on the back.

Yes of course it is.  My apologies.  Next lesson is telling front from back.........🤔

13 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

Love your build - in particular all the details.

If you like the details you should also check my last Nashorn build. 

Edited by Patrykd

• 4 weeks later...

Superb build, just caught up on your E8, the detail and paint work is excellent!

Particularly like the effect you've achieved with the tools too.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1