M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" 1/35 - RFM

Patrykd

Hello again. The Nashorn tank destroyer is finished, so I started another project. This time my choice fell on my favorite Sherman "Easy eight" version with 76mm gun. The vehicle has a very beautiful shape in my opinion. I would like very much to recreate vehicle which belonged to 6th Armored Division 68th Tank Battalion. The vehicle fought in company A. Its charming name is "A PAPER DOLL". The only photo I have found of it is the one below.

e970b46a4703ec1874b55056ec406d98.jpg

As for the model itself it will be a 1:35 scale RFM model, valorized with Voyager PE parts. Probably there will be some more valorization, but for now I am looking for additional inspiration.

dd7934b3175c912c4821b78ba11eca87.jpgf19b40371397a7f7067c131d18efcaa1.jpg

As for the build itself, I started with the most monotonous part of this model, the tracks. They are fully movable. And one track consists of 418 elements. It was a lot of fun. But the effect is worth the effort.

c2e8c4280acfd8fd5167a4d247205e9d.jpg

Edited by Patrykd
  • Like 14

11 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

This looks very good, would like to get one of these in the future, so will follow along... are the tracks RFM?  they look brilliant...

Ed

Yes,  the tracks are from RFM

• Thanks 1

These tracks are available separately for those of us who don't like vinyl, the nasty Dragon non-workable indy HVSS links or the old poor AFV Club "workable" offering.  I bought enough to replace all the HVSS tracks I needed (which might explain any supply shortage 😁).  You get a natty little assembly jig and the parts are supposed to click-fit without glue, but it seems you do really need to glue the guide horns.  They do seem to be hard to find in the UK.  I had to special order mine.

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

I had my eyes set on this one for some time now..... i'll follow along if you don't mind. 

Thanks. I've Just finished browning cradle. The update will be tomorrow. 

Edited by Patrykd
  • Like 1

That browning looks incredilble! I'm still new to PE parts. Verry curious how you fold all the little parts to fit. 

Also, love the welding marks on the turret. 

A real inspiration this build. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That browning looks incredilble! I'm still new to PE parts. Verry curious how you fold all the little parts to fit. 

Also, love the welding marks on the turret. 

A real inspiration this build. 

For precision bending of the smalest things  I use good quality twizeers with very sharp end. Good recomendation is also Tamiya 74117 with rectaangular end. Ofcourse bending jig is also crucial for larger parts. And the most important thing is to practice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, vytautas said:

Really great job. Every detail looks amazing!

Your welds look very precise, what material do you use for that?

Vytautas

I use for that  Tamiya 87052 Epoxy Putty Smooth

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The penultimate stage of construction. I've added support bogies for road wheels, towing cable holders, I've finished rear of the vehicle, i.e. exhaust covers and I've joined the turret with hull. In addition, I made a box for first aid kit, which is not in the built version of this Sherman, but I decided to add it.. At the moment I am making wheels. I will wait for painting until almost July, because I ordered some more things for the hull and I have to place them before I start painting. In the meantime I think I will start building another vehicle. The final construction stage gallery will wait.

6bdc45f4ca9dc322014079917cf79153.jpg

da7d6a91b91deb30f9e6e72837839347.jpg

1b5afbd32810754bd71d24b4f893843b.jpg

5eebc7a9862c5c25bb1e2994dc011a37.jpg

e06376e291566ce8f45a7912a76dc34a.jpg

Edited by Patrykd
  • Like 10

Great work, very clean! I'm not a Sherman expert so I have some doubt about that circle: is correct or is simply a leftover from plastic injection?.

hHEkZqd.jpg

Ciao

Filippo  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil1960 said:

Great work, very clean! I'm not a Sherman expert so I have some doubt about that circle: is correct or is simply a leftover from plastic injection?.

hHEkZqd.jpg

Ciao

Filippo  

Acc. to RFM this circle is OK. But acc. to historical pictures it should not be there. I will chceck tommorow it and then I will make a decision. Probably I should removed it.

• Like 1