1/12th Scale Farm Vehicles

This is a transient diorama, in that it only exists for each photo session. I have a three board set consisting of the clad wall with roller shutter door, white end wall and tarmac base, which I use as a backdrop for everything from 1/6th bikes to 1/18th diecast cars.

This bunch of tractors and ploughs are all Franklin Mint diecasts which I’ve bought mostly as ‘for spares or repair’, and then given the rust treatment. I made the blue and red tip cart when I was sixteen, which was forty-eight years ago - the other tip cart and Essex wagon are Ebay finds. They were made by a retired cabinet maker and are superbly crafted. More photos can be found in this Flickr album:  1/12th Scale Farm Equipment

P3263122.jpg

P3263119.jpg

P3263113.jpg

P3263106.jpg

P3263104.jpg

P3263102.jpg

P3263086.jpg

P3262978.jpg

P3262984.jpg

P3262992.jpg

P3263004.jpg

P3263008.jpg

P3263010.jpg

P3263016.jpg

P3263025.jpg

P3263046.jpg

P3263052.jpg

P3263053.jpg

P3263061.jpg

P3263065.jpg

• Like 27

This one gets a huge WOW! from me. The carts are indeed beautiful builds. While the tractors etc are beautifully weathered.

The setting and general detritus look great too, very natural and a typical farmyard.

• Like 1

Agreed, tractors etc are not my thing but this looks so incredible, very hard to tell you are looking at a model in many cases.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. When I initially set this up the object of the exercise was to get some photos of the plough and harrow which are my most recently rusted items, and some general rusty tractor pictures. Putting the carts and wagon in the mix was a spur of the moment idea which worked out quite well. The carts and wagon are now back in their display case and everything else is cleared away - just need to put the boards away and I can have my bench back. The great thing about a set-up like this is that I can create a variety of dioramas, not of which take up any space.

IMG-20220328-093518.jpg
IMG-20220328-093343.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Stunning craftsmanship! :worthy:

There are some photos in there that strongly contradict any explanation that they're models.

dnl43 - You should be aware that any of the models in that album that are mint and shiny are as Franklin Mint made them - it's only the weathered and rusty ones that I have put some modelling effort in to.

23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Good work on that weathering. 

The carts are lovely, are they kits?

Bertie, The blue and red tip cart was made from a kit, though that was really just a pack of wood and the plans, plus turned hubs. I made that one back in the mid '70s. The other two were made from plans by the late Michael Bennett of Malden, Essex. I have three of his models, some of which won prizes at the Model Engineering Exhibition.

Edited by Camwader

1 hour ago, Camwader said:

Bertie, The blue and red tip cart was made from a kit, though that was really just a pack of wood and the plans, plus turned hubs. I made that one back in the mid '70s. The other two were made from plans by the late Michael Bennett of Maulden, Essex. I have three of his models, some of which won prizes at the Model Engineering Exhibition.

I think they are really beautiful, like wooden ship models. Maybe not absolutely realistic as the wood grain must always be somewhat out of scale, but beautiful objects. They combine the functional elegance of the original with the organic materials and a great deal of your craftsmanship, into something approaching art. Marvellous stuff. I never saw this sort of model before.

• Like 1

Bertie, One of the things, in my opinion, that sets Michael Bennett's models above a lot of the other large scale horse drawn vehicle models that you see is the fact that they are models and not ornaments. So many other builders leave the metal fittings in brass, and even polish it up to highlight it, which looks plain wrong on farm vehicles. It's OK in some cases if that was what the real thing was like, but more often than not it isn't. I bought these models from Michael Bennet's son who was having to declutter his mother's house. When I first got them I took a load of studio pictures which I loaded to my Flickr account as I thought they deserved to be seen by a wider audience. I sent the links to him so he could pass them round his family - he was very pleased.

The links are here if you'd like to see them: Essex Wagon     Dorset Wagon    Tip Cart

I have a couple of Model Trailways 1/12th scale HDVs in my pile - the cowboy chuck wagon, and the Conestoga wagon (aka the prairie schooner) which I intend to do detailed 'in progress' posts of when I get round to them.

Apart from canoes and kayaks, another of my recent forays into wooden models was this scratch built 1/6th scale Greenland dog sled: Dog Sled

Edited by Camwader

1 hour ago, Camwader said:

my Flickr account

I will definitely have a look when I have the time, thanks. 

Im just about to indulge my interest in wooden models by building a boat. Currently, I’m researching and preparing myself but as soon as I find a window between group builds, I’ll have a go. 

• Like 1