1/48 MiG-21PF - VPAF, No. 4326, 921th Fighter Regiment, Noi Bai AB - ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

Another great model Ray.

The cockpit really is superb and I know it's been said before, but it's hard to believe the pilot could see much in front.

23 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I have used oils for colour variation on some panels

What an excellent idea! Works brilliantly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

but it's hard to believe the pilot could see much in front.

Thanks for the kind remarks Charlie. As to the cockpit, yes, not much to see forward or rearward for that matter. I suppose MiG-21 theory would be climb fast , hit from behind, disappear.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks to have a head/helmet protector mounted on top ? 

Thanks Dennis. The flap at the top armed the ejection seat when the front canopy closed thereby forming a capsule to protect the pilot on ejection.

BM MiG-21 NVAF WIP78

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just posted to the gallery here:

Thanks to the hosts for another most enjoyable and well supported GB. Thanks also to everyone who came by to offer encouragement and advice. 

I'll sign off with a photo that did not make the gallery:

BM MiG-21 NVAF G1

Ray 

• Like 9

@modelling minion @coneheadff @Wings unlevel

Thanks guys for the kind remarks. A very enjoyable GB, as usual. Very busy time over the past months so I was really pleased to finally post something in a gallery within the time. The Eduard kit goes together quick so it was a good subject to achieve this. 

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The photography against the black background

I played around with different coloured backgrounds and in the end the charcoal colour seem to work best. It might be a good choice for most builds. We will also see on the next one. I also found natural diffuse light seemed to give the best effect with the silver finish. 

Ray 

• Like 3

Great work Ray, it looks fantastic in the gallery. This MiG-21 (or at least one that purports to be this one - I have to take it with a pinch of salt after I somehow saw the same MiG-17 in two different museums on the same day!) is on display at the Vietnam Air Force museum in Hanoi, sadly looking slightly shabbier than your beautiful finish.

• Thanks 1

@zebra Glad you like it. Thank you.

I agree, the usual caveats on museum aircraft (unless you want to portray one that way). In this case, I had more confidence with this subject through the likes of images such as this. 

BM MiG-21 NVAF WIP39

Ray

• Like 2

An interesting photo Ray. Probably wouldn't have had the MiGs parked like that if the Americans had been allowed to attack the NV bases. And an interesting camo scheme on the 6th MiG in the line-up.

I'd say the finish and amount of weathering you applied is spot-on. They would have been new aircraft and well looked after, probably by Russian technicians, hence the ban on US attacks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Johnson said:

An interesting photo Ray.

I think it is interesting that the victory stars went with the aircraft and not the pilot. Osprey's MiG-21 Aces of the Vietnam War says:

MiG-21PFL ‘Fishbed-D’ 4326 of Nguyen Van Coc, 921st FR, Kep, 18 November 1967 Nguyen Van Coc added a further aerial victory to the 13 indicated by the red stars displayed on this aircraft when he shot down an F-105D of the 469th TFS/388th TFW on 18 November 1967. The MiG-21 pilots of the 921st FR claimed a total of 14 victories while flying this aircraft during 1967. ‘4326’ is displayed at the ADF-VPAF Museum in Hanoi.

Toperczer, István. MiG-21 Aces of the Vietnam War: 135 (Aircraft of the Aces) (pp. 157-158). Bloomsbury Publishing. 

Ray

• Like 1