PK-119 Saab AJ-37 Viggen

Here's the only remaining hole in the Orange Series aircraft line. I've been sitting on this for a week or so since it arrived, hoping to surprise @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY in a good way.

My favourite Saab of all time is the Draken, but the Viggen is a worthy successor and I can't believe nobody else was able to sign up for it.

It wasn't easy or cheap to find, but well worth it, I think. The instructions look like they've been left out in the sun at Benidorm far a few years, but the decals look OK. As with the (P-38) Lightning, this won't get started until some other items are further along but it will be under way soon and I wanted to get the build thread up and running.

spacer.png

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

Here's the only remaining hole in the Orange Series aircraft line. I've been sitting on this for a week or so since it arrived, hoping to surprise @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY in a good way

Now this Viggen is a very pleasant surprise, so I’m absolutely wrapped to see this kit and with it tick off our last remaining Orange series Aircraft kit. Honestly, this is just amazing stuff, with just two Green series aircraft remaining to complete the whole set. 

Great call and many thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

tick off our last remaining Orange series Aircraft kit

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't @George Norman already build one of these? I'm sure I've seen one in the gallery... :hmmm:

Edited by Galligraphics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but didn't @George Norman already build one of these? I'm sure I've seen one in the gallery... :hmmm:

That was the two-seat Viggen

PK-131 : Saab SK-37 Viggen ...Re-Tooled from PK-119 (1987) - George Norman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Galligraphics said:

Ah okay - I wasn’t paying proper attention :oops:

No worries. I was surprised the two-seater was picked up very quickly and already finished, while the single seater was pretty hard to come by.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised that it almost didn't get into this GB. It is hard to find and the price tends to be much to high. It was released 1978 and reworked into the two seater 1986 so it wasn't on the market for very long.

Of my 17 Viggens built over the years only one of them was the Matchbox single seater. With the better Heller kit on the market I didn't think the Matchbox kit was worth it. When I finally built one, it was only because it was very cheap.

Looking forward to see this built though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Got a bit of a start on the Viggen.

spacer.png

Did a minor bit of scratch building on the cockpit - side consoles and instrument panel extension.

Giant gap down the instrument panel, though...

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @drdjp11

It's only just occurring to me how many parallel builds you have on at the same time :surprised:

You might need to decide which you can finish before the deadline and which will be finished afterwards.

Either way I'm looking forward to following them all  :popcorn:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @drdjp11

It's only just occurring to me how many parallel builds you have on at the same time :surprised:

You might need to decide which you can finish before the deadline and which will be finished afterwards.

Either way I'm looking forward to following them all  :popcorn:

Cheers Pat

A couple of them are more or less done, just waiting to do photos. Another couple are pretty close and will make it by the weekend, including this one. 

• Like 1