1/48 Eduard Bristol F2b Fighter 'Profipack' Edition

Dear all -

Just completed Eduard's Bristol Fighter kit which I found quite a demanding model to get together so has been built from the box.

I don't pretend it's perfect (what model ever is?) compared to what others could or have done with this; but overall I am very happy with how it has turned out.

Markings are for 35 squadron, RFC February 1918.

hM6JFz9.jpg

rbkvDrR.jpg

OYNpAtg.jpg

e1Swl9q.jpg

eKlA48X.jpg

QfUfien.jpg

4oPP8ey.jpg

rAombHO.jpg

57fMfJA.jpg

22XpkSl.jpg

oyzOruz.jpg

CqM15EW.jpg

D3uhzmo.jpg

C8T47Ro.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 52
  • Thanks 3

I’ve only built a couple of biplanes, so I’m no expert by any means, but I’d say yours looks mighty fine, especially the rigging. What was your technique and what did you use for the rigging line?

• Thanks 1

Looks like a cracker to me Dave, you have done a fantastic job and should be pleased with your lovely model.   Got one of these in the stash too.  If it turns out like this one , I will be chuffed. Nice brushwork too.

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Very handsome model! I guess I would have messed up all those rigging wires. This makes your work particularly impressive!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, billn53 said:

I’ve only built a couple of biplanes, so I’m no expert by any means, but I’d say yours looks mighty fine, especially the rigging. What was your technique and what did you use for the rigging line?

Thank you!  

The technique for rigging is pre-drilling through the top wing and partial drill in lower wing.  A rigging diagram is therefore a must to understand where all the wires run from.  I used the WNW rigging diagram (from the website) as there diagrams are very accurate.  The kit instructions do feature one but is simplified.

Once I have the rigging holes drilled, you simply thread the rigging material through and CA glue to bottom first.   Once set, pull wire tight (not taunt) and also glue in place.   Patience is required here and it took me a couple of days to rig the main wing.

The material I used for this one was combination of elastic threads (I often use fishing line as well) these being Oschi standard thread for control cables and flat knitting elastic (to simulate RAF aerodynamic wires) for bracing cables.   I then painted the knitting elastic dark grey to match the colour of the Oschi thread.  This was done once all the rigging had been added to the model.

I hope this makes sense?

Regards

Dave

It might have been a fight, but the results are well worth it. The rigging is excellent.

Intriguingly, I do the opposite to you when rigging by partially drilling the top wing and going all the way through the lower one! My rationale for this is that very few people are going to look under the model if I don't quite get things right... Glue the thread or elastic to the top wing, thread it through the lower one, clip a peg or small clamp to the loose end for tensioning under gravity, then a pinhead drop of superglue at the point of entry to seal the deal. There are some nice marker pens, supposedly for model railways, that include a nice steel for colouring the rigging in advance.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, Epeeman said:

I don't pretend it's perfect (what model ever is?) compared to what others could or have done with this; but overall I am very happy with how it has turned out.

I'd be very happy with the results you've achieved, especially with all the rigging and struts and those spindly gun mounts.

The only fault I could find is the translucent fuselage roundel, and that could be fixed by doubling up the decals.

It's a beautiful model.

• Thanks 1

Only just found this Dave: splendid job all round. The rigging and wood finish on the prop are just two outstanding features, the paintwork being another. I know that you had a bit of a problem with this one, but you won through in the end and the result is well worth the effort.

P

• Thanks 1