1/32 AH-1G Cobra, C Troop 16th Cav, Vietnam 1972

Hi all,

Yes, starting another build...(shouldn't you be finishing those other GB subjects :hmmm:)

tn_Cobra 72 (1)

This time the recently released ICM HueyCobra in 1/32 scale, which is not the usual for this kind of subject...most modern helicopter releases are in 1/35.

@Julien already did a very nice in-box review of this kit here so I'm not going to repeat his efforts:

All I'll say is, very nice kit and a major upgrade of the fifty-year old Revell kit which was all we've had in this scale up to now.

tn_Cobra 72 (14)

Very nice options, loads of armament, and both types of tail enable pretty much any AH-1G model to be built from the kit.

tn_Cobra 72 (16)

I'll also be adding the Quinta cockpit decoration set, my first experience of these much-vaunted accessories. Looks very good so far.

tn_Cobra 72 (17)

Includes instrument panels, crew harnesses and other cockpit accessories. Hope it lives up to the hype!

I'll be building this alongside the MRC/Academy Whiskey Cobra for the GB, by way of a comparison of the development of this excellent and innovative airframe.

All the best,

Alan  

• Like 11

Wait... this is a different one?! 

Amazing. I struggle to finish one measly 1/48 scale model and you come in all guns blazing with TWO 1/35 \ 1/32 Choppers! 

🙇‍♂️

We are not worthy 🙇‍♂️

We are not worthy 🙇‍♂️

😂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got started on this one!

tn_Cobra 72 (19)

I know we're all getting a bit used to Quinta but this is my first attempt at using them. Some call it cheating, but it's a no-brainer for me!

tn_Cobra 72 (18)

So pleased with the easy application and superb appearance of these accessories.

For comparison here's the cockpit from the last AH-1G Cobra I did in this scale (Revell's ancient 1/32 kit):

tn_IMAG1871

This one used the Cobra Company resin cockpit and airscale decals for the instruments. It also took about two weeks, rather than ten minutes!

tn_Cobra 72 (20)

But it's not all good, they suffer from the same affliction as Eduard accessories, namely the colours of the cockpit surround are very wrong, way too light and blue. But who's going to notice with this kind of detail?

I think this all looks so good I'm not going to add any paint effects. This will be a pristine build with minimal wear and tear.

Alan

• Like 7

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

I've not used any Quinta stuff yet, but I'm impressed with what I've seen of them, including here.

James

Yeah, same. Thought they were a bit gimmicky but look superb. Also easy to work with. There's a Hungarian company called Red Fox also making similar products I've bought,  but I haven't used them yet. They look at least as good and are a bit cheaper too. 

• Like 1

Going to be lucky to get this done by the deadline (never mind two of them!) Once again, a few precious days off coincides with unseasonably freezing cold weather. As Blackadder would say, "Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more."

tn_Cobra 72 (22)

Left-tracking tailfin halves attached to the fuselage bits. This kit is very good. Detail and fit are first class. The kit provides many different features to enable virtually any period of AH-1G to be built from the one kit. What used to be a mountain of aftermarket and loads of chopping and sawing on the Revell is all in the box and fits nicely together.

tn_Cobra 72 (21)

Internal engine areas painted primer yellow. Going to have the starboard side open to display the engine parts.

tn_Cobra 72 (23)

There's some nice engine/transmission detail which you could detail further if you wanted to - the doghouse rotor cap isn't included in this kit, so you'd have to paint and detail at least the transmission part as that would be visible through the hole at the top.

tn_Cobra 72 (24)

The internals and fuselage halves fit together very nicely. Nose weight is required but can be added later as the lower belly of the fuselage isn't attached until later.

tn_Cobra 72 (25)

All looks nice and busy in there!

tn_Cobra 72 (26)

The high position of the installed cockpit shows why it's always worth investing in a detailing set when building a Cobra!

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 8

On 5/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, 81-er said:

Nice work to both you and ICM!

Thanks a lot James, this kit is lovely to build.

tn_Cobra 72 (27)

Fuselage now assembled. Fits like a glove.

tn_Cobra 72 (28)

The open underside means you can stuff loads of nose weight in there after assembly!

tn_Cobra 72 (31)

The fascia on the belly also fits really well. I might get away with zero putty, we'll see!

tn_Cobra 72 (30)

The nose also fits very well, as do the reinforcements on the cheek - these were to protect the wiring looms from the blast of the 20mm M61 cannon.

tn_Cobra 72 (32)

Cockpit almost finished with armour plates and aircon hoses into the backs of the seats.

tn_Cobra 72 (33)

That is a damn fine looking airframe. No wonder it's one of my all-time favourite aircraft.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 5

It certainly looks to be coming together well Alan. While a modern tooled kit should that isn't always the case sadly but I'm glad to see this one is proving a pleasurable build for you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Col. it's almost therapeutic after the Revell Super Hornet!

tn_Cobra 72 (35)

The main airframe components practically fell together, The nose weight appears to have done its job as well.

tn_Cobra 72 (34)

The ammo sponsons for the XM-35 fit perfectly, no seam filling required!

tn_Cobra 72 (36)

The same goes for the crossfeed underneath, this is a really well-engineered kit.

tn_Cobra 72 (37)

So far this is areal winner for me - if the canopy parts fit this well, this could be my new favourite kit. Cobra fans are extremely lucky right now, we've got this kit and the 1/35 Academy AH-1Z Viper which is also a superb build. All we need now is a 1/32 F-model and I can die happy!

Also finished the armament:

tn_Cobra 72 (38)

The barrels on the 20mm are a bit plasticky, but some creative paintwork will probably take care of it.  The 19-shot M200 is a leftover resin by Fireball Modelworks, while the excellent 7-shot M158 pieces are by CMK,

tn_Cobra 72 (39)

I mean, how good are these?! These are stolen from the Special Hobby HiTech boxing of the early AH-1G ICM kit - I won't be using them for that build.

Alan

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Still working on this! I feel like one of those Japanese soldiers who refused to believe the surrender order in 1945 and were still fighting the war into the 1960s and 70s :lol:

Well, I had something of a nightmare with the canopy...I applied vinyl self-adhesive masks in mid-July and then had to abandon my shed for about two weeks due to the unbearable temperatures. When I came back - disaster! 

tn_Cobra 72 (41)

The easy-peel glue melted in the heat to form this horrible sticky mush! I tried to peel off the masking but it left this sticky residue when I took it off :cry:

tn_Cobra 72 (42)

This was pretty upsetting.

I risked using nail polish remover and it worked. I followed up with polishing compound but it never got its shine back.

tn_Cobra 72 (40)

Better than it was, but quite annoying. Another modelling lesson learnt the hard way!

I've ordered some proper masks now so it should be ready for paint very soon.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I feel for you. I've had the same sort of problem in the past but never on a build with such a dominant greenhouse. Have you considered finding a new clear sprue?

Possibly, but near enough is good enough in this case!

4 hours ago, speedy said:

AP I’d have done that as a frosty morning canopy! although on reflection I suspect they didn’t get many frosty mornings🤔.

Yeah frosty mornings maybe, but sticky mornings probably not so much!

• Haha 2

Good to see you're still going, Alan. Not so good about the canopy, but it's a lot better than it was. Would a coat of Klear or gloss of some kind help bring the clarity back?

James

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Good to see you're still going, Alan. Not so good about the canopy, but it's a lot better than it was. Would a coat of Klear or gloss of some kind help bring the clarity back?

James

Yes I'm going to try it with Gauzy again, that stuff is like magic.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...