Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ451, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible. Finished 20/06.

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Kinetic's 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1. A subject I've been wanting to do for a while, it'll be marked as XZ451 of 801 Naval Air Squadron (formally of 899 NAS), which was credited with downing an Argentine Dagger and Hercules.

Kit:

51962351574_e14ef6a623_b.jpg

51961071232_fca84fc10c_b.jpg

Extras:

51962631840_10cc4744ef_b.jpg

I'll be using Eduard's Big Ed set that has interior/exterior etch and masks, along with Neomega resin Martin Baker MK.12 ejection seat and Flightpath FOD inserts.

The excellent decal sheet:

51961070682_62369ebe3e_b.jpg

Some references:

51961070932_484633f094_b.jpg

51961070797_b8e03e4d53_b.jpg

Will be armed with a pair each of AIM-9Ls, fuel tanks and gun pods. I might go with a 1000lb bomb on centre pylon too but I'll need to re-read Commander Wards book in the run up to the build to refresh my memory on load outs. Still have a Mig-21 and F-14 to get built!

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

• Like 14

Oooh, you got me interested, I had a friend at the time served on 899 aboard Hermes. Nice selection of goodies to go with the kit and I do like the squadron patch.

Colin

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Oooh, you got me interested, I had a friend at the time served on 899 aboard Hermes. Nice selection of goodies to go with the kit and I do like the squadron patch.

Colin

Hope I do it justice Colin! As i've said, I've been wanting to do this kit for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, DaveJL said:

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Kinetic's 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1. A subject I've been wanting to do for a while, it'll be marked as XZ451 of 801 Naval Air Squadron (formally of 899 NAS), which was credited with downing an Argentine Dagger and Hercules.

Kit:

51962351574_e14ef6a623_b.jpg

51961071232_fca84fc10c_b.jpg

Extras:

51962631840_10cc4744ef_b.jpg

I'll be using Eduard's Big Ed set that has interior/exterior etch and masks, along with Neomega resin Martin Baker MK.12 ejection seat and Flightpath FOD inserts.

The excellent decal sheet:

51961070682_62369ebe3e_b.jpg

Some references:

51961070932_484633f094_b.jpg

51961070797_b8e03e4d53_b.jpg

Will be armed with a pair each of AIM-9Ls, fuel tanks and gun pods. I might go with a 1000lb bomb on centre pylon too but I'll need to re-read Commander Wards book in the run up to the build to refresh my memory on load outs. Still have a Mig-21 and F-14 to get built!

Cheers and stay safe

Dave

The 801 NAS did offen carry a single 1000 lbs bomb on the centerline pylon when going on CAP, they would start the mission by flying close to Stanley and kind of  toss bombing with it, then they continued with the cap.

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen
  • Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 7:33 AM, Bo hermansen said:

The 801 NAS did offen carry a single 1000 lbs bomb on the centerline pylon when going on CAP, they would start the mission by flying close to Stanley and kind of  toss bombing with it, then they continued with the cap.

Bo

Was this for targets of opportunity, or more like a message to keep heads down?

Reminds me s bit of the ballistic rocket firing Russian helicopters did recently...

On 4/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, Bo hermansen said:

Bo

Thanks Bo, just finished Cdr Ward's book again and seems they carried them on most sorties to bomb Stanley airport. Looks like there's only a BL755 cluster bomb in the kit so that will have to suffice. There is mention of these weapons being carried too.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:41 AM, exdraken said:

Reminds me s bit of the ballistic rocket firing Russian helicopters did recently...

Think it was a mixture of both Werner, to strike the airfield to continually deny it and to also keep the Argentinians on their toes. That's my interpretation of course!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 7:41 AM, exdraken said:

it was harresment,  keeping the Argies on their toes and practical, because it was done on the way to their CAP stations,.

After the war it was found to be surprisingly accurate due to the NAVHAR.

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:59 PM, DaveJL said:

Thanks Bo, just finished Cdr Ward's book again and seems they carried them on most sorties to bomb Stanley airport. Looks like there's only a BL755 cluster bomb in the kit so that will have to suffice. There is mention of these weapons being carried too.

Think it was a mixture of both Werner, to strike the airfield to continually deny it and to also keep the Argentinians on their toes. That's my interpretation of course!

I have many 1000 lbs bombs, I will be happy to donate one to your kit Dave 

send me your adress in a pm.

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, Bo hermansen said:

I have many 1000 lbs bombs, I will be happy to donate one to your kit Dave 

send me your adress in a pm.

Bo

Thanks Bo, I'll drop you a PM!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made a start on this; need to get a move on to get it finished within the GB timeframe! Compressor fan and front landing gear section was assembled. I'm not bothered about painting it as I'll be fitting the etch FOD covers. The pylons were also built up. The fit was iffy and I found that chopping off the locating tabs helped with getting each side to sit more evenly. Still not great though:

52082724150_aa7d25b260_b.jpg

Cannon pods were then built, again the fit wasn't great. Some tidy up needed. I assembled what I assume is meant to be a BL755 cluster bomb along with the drop tanks. Seams will need cleaned up on both. I also replaced the kit AIM-9s with a pair from a Tamiya F-16 as they're more crisp in detail.

52081198257_837e621b17_b.jpg

I also noticed the exhausts had a terrible seam on them:

52082250513_4a8f89c725_b.jpg

So I replaced these with a lovely set from Aires:

52082231936_29b2f4d361_b.jpg

A few more bits to read:

52082468864_4f1f59321b_b.jpg

I've a question regarding colours if anyone is able to help; what colour is the cockpit? Kinetic's instructions are clear as mud, as usual!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

• DaveJL changed the title to Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ451, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible. Update and query 18/05.

A little more done. Wings were built up. I had to sand a little of the leading edges to get a good fit:

52084959139_bc7482e443_b.jpg

Cockpit was assembled next, with some Eduard etch added. I decided not to go with the pre-painted side consoles as I prefer the kit detail here. I also had to remove the protrusion from the floor to allow the Neomega seat to fit. Rear wheel well and airbrake housing also built up:

52083681827_cfe5a8a39e_b.jpg

The aforementioned Neomega resin seat:

52083682512_dbea5459ba_b.jpg

I had to shave off some of the detail on the lower portions to allow it to fit.  AIM-9 launchers also built up:

52084958959_113005dcce_b.jpg

Fuselage halves prepped with some etch:

52085225350_44cfd54fd0_b.jpg

Hoping to prime and paint the cockpit tomorrow. Haven't quite decided on colour yet, but I'll play about to see what looks good.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 4

• DaveJL changed the title to Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ451, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible. Update 19/05.

A bit more done and boy oh boy is this going to be a tricky little build! Maybe doesn't help that I'm coming off the back of a Tamiya F-14 but we'll just gloss over that for now :lol:. Anyway, cockpit was finished off. I ended up adding the etch on the side panels. Kinetic state the cockpit is FS36375 which is just wrong so I plumped for FS35237 (US Navy Grey-Blue) as I think this looks quite similar to Dark Admiralty Grey. Not quite a match for the Eduard panels but sure we're all used to that by now!

52087226059_b8c174e52c_b.jpg

52087477655_12fd5047e4_b.jpg

A light wash also added. I didn't do too much chipping or paint wear as I know these jets were all fairly new at the time of the Falklands conflict. Now this is where I ran into a few issues. Firstly, I tested the fit of the cockpit and intake. Interesting to say the least! I found removing the raised lugs at the back of part C5 gave me a much better fit. 

52087483275_0e32f4c221_b.jpg

I installed the tub and intake separately and then I ran into my second problem. A rather warped front fuselage!

52087002658_738ef6c25a_b.jpg

Oh dear says I. Some superglue was used to join the front fuselage as far back as the intakes, which in turn needed a fiddle with to get sitting somewhat normally.  Once dry, I then worked my way back, closing up the rest of the fuselage. Another problem arose with the airbrake/rear U/C well. One side just wouldn't sit flush so I had to improvise with 2 clothes pegs to give me a sort of ballast that pressed the wonky side nicely into the fuselage.

52087003278_833f83085e_b.jpg

52086978836_d4d81120a7_b.jpg

There'll be a good bit of clean up needed on this one!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

• DaveJL changed the title to Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ451, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible. Update 20/05.
6 hours ago, coneheadff said:

"Unfortunately" you can clearly see Kinetics improvement over the years.

The four years between the Harrier family and the Starfighter show huge steps

Glad to hear that Alex as I've a Straighter to enter for the upcoming Century Fighters GB!!

I think this kit just needs some tender care and attention. The instructions are terrible though! I've wanted to build a SHAR for a long time so I'm determined to (try) and do a good job :lol:

26 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Glad to hear that Alex as I've a Straighter to enter for the upcoming Century Fighters GB!!

I think this kit just needs some tender care and attention. The instructions are terrible though! I've wanted to build a SHAR for a long time so I'm determined to (try) and do a good job :lol:

I know what you mean and I also have a Shar waiting for me.. a trainer and a Gr.3.

So I hope I can learn from your experience 😁

1 minute ago, coneheadff said:

I know what you mean and I also have a Shar waiting for me.. a trainer and a Gr.3.

So I hope I can learn from your experience 😁

Hopefully the thread is of some use to you!

Ps that was meant to be Starfighter, not 'straighter' :lol:

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 2:37 AM, DaveJL said:

A little more done. Wings were built up. I had to sand a little of the leading edges to get a good fit:

52084959139_bc7482e443_b.jpg

G'day Dave,

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already or perhaps I have missed something but the wing in your pic is for the later FA.2 variant (introduced much later) not the FRS.1. Both wings are supplied in the kit. boxing as there are some common parts on the sprue. The FA.2 was the first of the Kinetic Harrier family to be released.  

Regarding the cockpit colour I believe that Dark Admiralty Grey (DAG) is the correct colour and you are correct in stating that FS35231 is much closer than the FS36375 suggested by the instructions but personally I like Tamiya XF-54 (Dark Sea Grey) as a close match for DAG. Everyone will have their own personal go to for DAG. and that is mine. The prepainted PE colour is just awful and not within a bull's roar of being close.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dave,

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned already or perhaps I have missed something but the wing in your pic is for the later FA.2 variant (introduced much later) not the FRS.1. Both wings are supplied in the kit. boxing as there are some common parts on the sprue. The FA.2 was the first of the Kinetic Harrier family to be released.  

Regarding the cockpit colour I believe that Dark Admiralty Grey (DAG) is the correct colour and you are correct in stating that FS35231 is much closer than the FS36375 suggested by the instructions but personally I like Tamiya XF-54 (Dark Sea Grey) as a close match for DAG. Everyone will have their own personal go to for DAG. and that is mine. The prepainted PE colour is just awful and not within a bull's roar of being close.

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy, I misread the sprues for the wings. Luckily I kept the other set in the spares box. You're right about the Eduard etch, happens all the time! I can live with it though as once the seat etc goes in, not much can be seen.

Cheers

Dave

More done. As per the post above, I changed the wing. My own fault as I misread the instructions. Anyway, a test fit showed that the fit was poor. I also noticed that the locating holes for the aileron actuators were not open on the FRS.1 wing (they are on the FA.2). To help get a better fit, I sanded off a raised plate on the underside portion of each wing.

52098846383_6dd1a50af5_b.jpg

52098846128_0551acce88_b.jpg

The only difference on the wings that I can see is that there's an extra vortex generator on the FRS.1. I moved on and turned my attention to the fuselage. Some lovely gaps around the intakes greeted me:

52099317475_c5523966d9_b.jpg

52097791172_f056713d99_b.jpg

Not liking the prospect of sorting those out, I turned to the Flightpath set to see how far out the FOD covers came. These are very nicely done as two supporting plates are fitting from behind the intake first, with the outer part being fitted at final assembly.

52097790062_09f2fa8f42_b.jpg

To my delight, the FOD covers hide the awful gaps shown above. Happy days I thought. Not so. The fit of the intakes is iffy at best, awful at worst:

52097790342_9387f3e104_b.jpg

52099318200_edcb1d1bb4_b.jpg

One step forward, two steps back. Filler was needed on the fuselage in several places:

52099053439_1ee36113d0_b.jpg

52098818466_b14be36a6e_b.jpg

I wanted to compare the size of the SHAR and the F-14:

52099318120_1234034bde_b.jpg

Quite a difference. A dry fit of the wings shows that this area is iffy too. Great :lol:

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

• DaveJL changed the title to Sea Harrier FRS.1, XZ451, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible. Update 25/05.

Nice progress Dave,

Reference the wing differences, the FRS.1 wing also has a second dogtooth at the LE, the FA.2 faird this in. As for the size differences, if you were to compare the two seat variant with the Tomcat it would be  acloser comparison.

Regarding the intake blanks, are the the hard type or the soft type?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

7 minutes ago, Pappy said:

Nice progress Dave,

Reference the wing differences, the FRS.1 wing also has a second dogtooth at the LE, the FA.2 faird this in. As for the size differences, if you were to compare the two seat variant with the Tomcat it would be  acloser comparison.

Regarding the intake blanks, are the the hard type or the soft type?

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy. Didn't noticed the other dogtooth. Just wanted to compare the difference in size between 'fleet fighters' :lol:

I think they're hard type, I'm not really sure. They look good and make the intake issue a lot easier to bear. I'm not overly bothered if they're not correct, anything for an easy life! 😃