PE Newbie seeks advice!

Hairy Stickler

Having been back in the modelling game for a while now, I am considering incorporating some photo-etched parts in some of my up and coming builds (I focus on 1/72 fighter aircraft).

What are the basic tools that I'm going to need to do this (I don't want to spend a packet) and are there PE elements that I shouldn't bother with in 1/72?.

Any advice,  tips or warnings gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance 

Peter 

Not the easiest scale or subject to get started on PE

I would say rear view mirrors,seatbealts,gunsights,cockpit levers,are usually what you see in kits.

Personally for me that stuff is pretty small on 1/72  aircraft.

Personally I don't bother with some of the very, very tiny pieces as I find them too fiddly but concentrate on those which will add the most effect and appeal, such as instrument panels, seat belts and some of the cockpit switches, plus some exterior parts such as radiator grilles and u/c linkages.

I use either medium or thin CA to fix them in place and I find that a cocktail stick with a bit of white/blu tack at the end serves as a really useful tool for picking up the pieces and also holding them in place whilst the ca sets. This works particularly well with very small pieces such as gun sights but as with most things it's a case of having a go and discovering the limits of your patience, dexterity and eyesight. I certainly feel more confident about using pe now than I did a few months ago so after using them in a couple of recent builds.

Regards

Colin.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Any advice,  tips or warnings gratefully received.

Just because the PE is there, doesn't mean you need to use it! 

In 72nd, unless you like looking at your model with a magnifier and penlight, a lot wont be seen.   in the case of WW2 era, with an open canopy, seat straps are the most obvious upgrade. 

this is a 72nd Hurricane set an IP, from Arma Hobby, built OOB

50395618356_8014d0b171_b.jpg

No special tools, scalpels, tweezers superglue, bright light.  and patience.    Especially on the seats straps.... It's impressive when done, and look fab on a modelling site in macro pic....  so if you like documenting builds and sharing them, it has it's own rewards. Note, you maybe better off with a resin seat with moulded in straps carefully painted.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/

I used nearly all the supplied PE,  and most is basically invisible without said penlight and magnifier...  

14 minutes ago, Hairy Stickler said:

and are there PE elements that I shouldn't bother with in 1/72?.

if not making canopy open, dry fit the main bits, including the canopy, and see what can be seen....

Really, it's on a case by case basis,  for example, there are a fair few PE sets by Airwaves for older kits,  that by and large are not very good, and from builds one here, often don't fit...

if there is a key point on, PE, or any upgrades, or kit for that matter,  it's RESEARCH.   Some searches and if you don't get answers you want, questions on here may well reveal how much bother you want to go to,   but that is subject specific I said.   Be aware, it can also turn in paralysis....  my Hurricane linked above is stalled as I went down a paint colour rabbit hole....

HTH

• Like 2

In this scale seat straps are the only thing I usually bother with. You can buy generic sets that will suit various aircraft. With closed canopies, a decal or even masking tape belts can look OK. 

Depends on the kit of course. The latest Arma and Eduard kits offer lots more options, and I might be tempted to use some of them - a decent, ready painted instrument panel is worth having. But definitely no rudder pedal straps!

I think Peter was asking what he needed to begin dealing with PE, not why he shouldn't :shrug:

Also, I've moved this into the correct area, as PE isn't a WWII aircraft ;)

The bare minimum would be:

• A pair of PE bending pliers, of which there are a few available, including Meng, Tamiya and Xuron. Small flat-bladed pliers would work reasonably well too.
  • A tough flat non-marking surface to cut the parts off the frets.  A tile, piece of metal or something else resilient will do.
  • Something to cut the parts off the fret.  I use a #15 blade in a Swann-Morton #3 handle.
  • Super glue & an applicator, such as a cocktail stick, old #11 blade or a tiny loop of wire.
  • Super glue de-bonder is useful to have around for cleaning up excess glue with a cotton bud.
  • Tape to put on the back of the fret to prevent small parts from ricochetting into the jaws of the carpet monster.

After you decide whether it's for you, you could avail yourself of the following:

• PE folding jig.  Mission Models, RP Toolz and others make them in varying sizes.
  • single-sided razor blades to use with the folder.
  • Extended blades for folding long parts.
  • Soldering paste and gas torch or soldering iron to permanently attach complex structures together.

There are bound to be other tools such as holding jigs, engineer squares to hold things at right-angles, amongst other things, but those are the kinds of things that you pick up along the way to make things easier for yourself. :)

Thanks very much everyone.  Some great comments/advice (as I would have expected). I completely agree that there is no point in wrestling with microscopic parts that disappear from view as soon as the fuselage goes together.  Perhaps I might be better splashing the cash on some resin parts (pucker wheels for that Hellcat or more detailed cannons for that Hurricane) or aftermarket decals (which will certainly be on show).

Once again,  thanks to everyone who's taken the time to respond.