SAS Caravelle III in 1/144

This is the fourth Caravelle I've built and this time around the beauty is in the livery of SAS. It seems that I can't get rid of my love affair with Caravelles. It's possible (or even probable) that this won't be my last Caravelle build. IMHO it's simply the most elegant jet airliner ever built and the nostalgic 1960-70's liveries suit the contours of the plane perfectly. 

As before I built the model from an Authentic Airliners' excellent resin kit with laser printed SAS decals from F-DCAL. Each SAS Caravelle was christened with a viking name and the decal sheet gave choices for 21 different Swedish, Danish and Norwegian names and registrations. Well I just couldn't resist the temptation and I decided to build LN-KLI or "Einar Viking" 🙂 For the livelier cockpit and cabin windows I ordered decals from AA decals. The assembly of the plane was straightforward without any problems. Detaching some smaller parts from the resin molding blocks can be tricky, though. The most difficult are probably the small and fragile jet intake blades.

I primed the model with Mr.Hobby's 1200 surfacer and painted first the wings and stabs with Tamiya gloss black from rattle can. The white areas were then painted with Tamiya's Fine surface primer coated with Tamiya's gloss varnish spray. For the metal areas I used Alclad aluminium. I also added some details of my own to the model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!

I certainly said it before but in my opinion the Caravelle is one of the most elegant passenger aircraft.

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Einar

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

She is a beauty. 

Could you really build anything else?

Thank you!

That was the most obvious choice 🤣

Einar

Wonderful Caravelle.

The first picture looks like a photograph of the real thing

Who could resist to have his"own" aircraft...😉

I missed most of the Caravelle's service time due to my age but I was lucky enough to see the last passenger transporting Caravelle in 1992-94 in the livery of the Swiss charter airline Air City.

They operated one Caravelle 10,I believe until 1994/95 and then ceased operations because the Swiss aviation authority didnt extend the air wortyness certificate for the aircraft and Air City did not find or want to have any other type that suited them.

Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!

I certainly said it before but in my opinion the Caravelle is one of the most elegant passenger aircraft.

Saluti

Giampiero

You certainly won't hear me argue, especially when you're talking about the Caravelle 10s and 12s. The Comet is, in my mind, in the same league as the Caravelle for elegance.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Wonderful Caravelle.

The first picture looks like a photograph of the real thing

Who could resist to have his"own" aircraft...😉

I missed most of the Caravelle's service time due to my age but I was lucky enough to see the last passenger transporting Caravelle in 1992-94 in the livery of the Swiss charter airline Air City.

They operated one Caravelle 10,I believe until 1994/95 and then ceased operations because the Swiss aviation authority didnt extend the air wortyness certificate for the aircraft and Air City did not find or want to have any other type that suited them.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you for your comments Alex!

I was lucky enough to fly the Finnair Caravelles a couple of times.

Cheers

Einar

5 minutes ago, junglierating said:

She certainly looks a beauty although for majesty perhaps a VC10?

BZ to you

VC10 is a very good choice👍😀

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

A suberb tribute to one of the last airliner designs that can immediately be identified by old fashioned eyeballing. Possibly with the exception of the clumsy 747 and the ugly DC10. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings there. 😉

To me, moderna airliners are just an endless row of anonymous white tour buses. 🥱

Btw, my first ever flight was around 1965 from Arlanda to Rome in an SAS Caravelle.

Beautiful modelling as always, Einar. You're spoiling us.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

A suberb tribute to one of the last airliner designs that can immediately be identified by old fashioned eyeballing. Possibly with the exception of the clumsy 747 and the ugly DC10. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings there. 😉

To me, moderna airliners are just an endless row of anonymous white tour buses. 🥱

Btw, my first ever flight was around 1965 from Arlanda to Rome in an SAS Caravelle.

Beautiful modelling as always, Einar. You're spoiling us.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you very much Joachim,

I share your opinion on the current airliners. They are impersonal and they all look like Airbuses or 737s. Boooring!!🥱

Cheers

Einar

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Gratulere Einar 👍

Being a former employee of Scandinavian Airlines for 24 years, it did put a big smile on my face :) 

Tusen takk !!

I've got so good memories of SAS Caravelles and DC-9's. As a teenager in the 1960's I was a keen plane spotter and visited often the Helsinki airport. Apart from Finnair planes SAS airliners were a frequent sight there.

Einar

• Like 1

A superb model of a very lovely airliner. which I too thought was one of the finest early short range jets. When I was in Brussels some years back there was a Caravelle hanging from the roof of the air museum there. Amazed how small it looked !

John B

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

A superb model of a very lovely airliner. which I too thought was one of the finest early short range jets. When I was in Brussels some years back there was a Caravelle hanging from the roof of the air museum there. Amazed how small it looked !

John B

Thanks John!

You quite right. Caravelle really looks small compared to current airliners. The same scale models on my shelf show clearly the small size of this iconic beauty.

Cheers 

Einar