CA Glue Recommendation

45DegreesModelling

Hello everyone,

I see a lot of modellers on YouTube use some form of CA glue for painted parts on model cars. My next build is the Honda RA272 and wondered what CA glue people would recommend? My only experience with CA glue is the VMS Flexy 5k for photo etch (being mainly an armour builder) and I understand that different glues have different properties etc and this may not cut it. 

Where possible I’ll be using Tamiya Extra Thin cement for adhering the plastic and if it’s possible I’ll scrape away any paint to expose the plastic to make a stronger bond. 

Im after something available in the U.K. as I’ve seen Bob Smith Industries being mentioned but isn’t readily available over here. 

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Tom

I'll probably get shouted at for this but the ca glue I've used over the last couple of years is Loctite - which I get from the local hardware shop.

Put a very small drop on a piece of card and apply with a cocktail stick or a needle.

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

I'll probably get shouted at for this but the ca glue I've used over the last couple of years is Loctite - which I get from the local hardware shop.

Put a very small drop on a piece of card and apply with a cocktail stick or a needle.

Mark

That's all I do and use a cocktail stick, which has had both ends removed, one end then drilled and a pin then pushed in the resulting hole, to apply the glue!

Tony C

• Like 1

Poundland for me!  7x3g tubes or 3x6.5g bottles for...yes, you guessed it...a pahnd to you, guvnor.

At least when it's found to be dried up the third time you use it (exactly the same as loctite etc in my experience) the wastage is far cheaper.

Not to be used near clear parts though, I think there is a BoB Smith Industries .CA specially for this, if you can get it in UK?.  I use Microscale Kristal Klear or woodglue for this.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Poundland for me!  7x3g tubes or 3x6.5g bottles for...yes, you guessed it...a pahnd to you, guvnor.

At least when it's found to be dried up the third time you use it (exactly the same as loctite etc in my experience) the wastage is far cheaper.

Not to be used near clear parts though, I think there is a BoB Smith Industries .CA specially for this, if you can get it in UK?.  I use Microscale Kristal Klear or woodglue for this.

Another vote for Poundland's especially if a thin glue is needed.

If I need a medium or high viscosity version I turn more to 'trade' pack versions such as those available through toolfix, https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=super glue.

Similar might be available at your LMS, if you stll have one, branded a Javis.

Don't forget the accelerator too, although use with care as it can 'bloom' during evaporation & need a gentle polish to remove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too use the cheapo tubes when (Poundland, Wilko etc.) for ultra thin glue, Gorilla Superglue for general purpose and Gorilla Superglue Gel when longer drying time is required.

The regular Gorilla glue works well with talcum powder to make a quick drying filler.

13 hours ago, malpaso said:

Not to be used near clear parts though

True it will fog clear ... but if you first coat the parts with Future/Klear, they won't fog.

21 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Put a very small drop on a piece of card and apply with a cocktail stick or a needle

I use the plastic lid from a box of cheapo cotton buds as a glue tray - the type of plastic doesn't react with the glue and a drop of glue stays usable for a surprisingly long time.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1