Ukrainan Su-27UB Flanker C, 1/48 GWH

Slava Ukraini!

With the Gigant Viggen on hold I wanted to build something that showed my support for the Ukrainian fight for freedom and sovereignty.

I am full of admiration for the men and women of Ukraine who stand up to the Russian invaders and I want to honor them by building a Su-27UB Flanker C in Ukrainian livré.

As it happens I have one in my stash and I even have masks for that trendy digital cammo they are dressed in nowdays. I got it from a friend once upon a time and now is a good time to put it to use!

This is the GWH boxing of the Flanker C....and it is juicy! I have oogled it many times and the moldings are exquisite!

IMG_6275.JPG

Upon opening the box it contains sprues.....many many many many sprues...45 sprues big and small in total!!!

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

A gazillion parts and all look amazing!

Look at the precision of the molding of this fender for instance...it's beyond words almost!

IMG_6284.JPG

This is the back side of the ejection seat...simply amazing!

IMG_6285.JPG

Here are the masks and you see how it will look ...nice, eh?

IMG_6283.JPG

And this will be a premier using Quinta Studios resin printed instruments!

IMG_6286.JPG

There you have it, the next project! :D

Cheers!

• Like 22

If you haven't built any of the GWH Flankers before you are in for a treat. I too have the Foxbot decals/mask set and the kit and have been planning on doing this combo for quite a while (before the GWH kit came out in fact) so will tag along to see how they work.

My only (slight) criticism of the GWH Flankers are the 4 part exhaust nozzle rings that have the potential to cause issues if you get a bit heavy handed with the sanding off of the sprue gates (ask me how I know). I am intending getting a set of the ResKit exhaust nozzles for the Su-27 (and support a Ukraine Company in the process).

Duncan B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arnobiz said:

This will be cool to watch and learn, I have a similar (albeit single seater) project :)

Arnaud

Take a seat and welcome :D

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

If you haven't built any of the GWH Flankers before you are in for a treat. I too have the Foxbot decals/mask set and the kit and have been planning on doing this combo for quite a while (before the GWH kit came out in fact) so will tag along to see how they work.

My only (slight) criticism of the GWH Flankers are the 4 part exhaust nozzle rings that have the potential to cause issues if you get a bit heavy handed with the sanding off of the sprue gates (ask me how I know). I am intending getting a set of the ResKit exhaust nozzles for the Su-27 (and support a Ukraine Company in the process).

Duncan B

I have the Fulcrum under my belt, it was good but this is an entirely different beast. The details are exquisite and Tamiya-ish and I have already come a bit underway...

So take a seat and enjoy :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

I will be taking a seat on this one as well. I have a GWH Su-35 to do so i will be taking pointers especially on the Quinta Studios stuff as i have lots of it but been too scared to take the plung with it.

Nothing to be scared of....you shall see when I do the pit :)

5 hours ago, LanceR21 said:

Nice! I'm planning single seater but post-Soviet camouflage and markings...

Sweet... looking forward to that :)

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Love the flanker, looks like a great kit I’ll enjoy watching.

4-EC1-A99-C-850-A-4-F93-9-A53-49898250-DIn a similar vein I reworked my Flagon to Ukrainian markings.

Welcome :)

2 hours ago, 45DegreesModelling said:

I’m looking forward to this, can’t wait to see how the digi cam comes out.

Mee too! :D

well guys keep your eyes peeled.....tomorrow is the first build update :)

• Like 1

Time for the build to start!

Nice cockpit you got there...too bad if something happened to it!

As you saw in the presentation the box is full of parts and to put the seats together you have this break up of parts :P

Pretty insane, right? But as long as every thing fits...

IMG_6289.JPG

I glued the seats together... almost as good as resin aftermarket!

I'll see if I need to spice them up more or if this is good enough.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

The next question will be to use the molded belts or the quinta studio ones...

IMG_6292.JPG

Talking about Quinta Studio.... this is the cockpit parts....sheeesh there´s even a clear layer over the gauges! It is impossible to achieve this  with painting alone..kind of sad since I love painting cockpits but this is too good to pass!  Much much much better than printed PE wich I've never liked really and rarely used.

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

The heart breaking thing is that I have to remove all these gorgeous details in the molded GWH cockpit! I a ctually really sad to have to remove all...I wish there was a plain cockpit without details to use for the Quinta Studio stuff.

Just look at all those details!! :(

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

But I have to do it...

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

At least some details will survive...

IMG_6298.JPG

Well then, the cockpit is ready for primer and this build is officially started!

IMG_6302.JPG

Cheers!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Aigore said:

Time for the build to start!

Nice cockpit you got there...too bad if something happened to it!

As you saw in the presentation the box is full of parts and to put the seats together you have this break up of parts :P

Pretty insane, right? But as long as every thing fits...

IMG_6289.JPG

I glued the seats together... almost as good as resin aftermarket!

I'll see if I need to spice them up more or if this is good enough.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

The next question will be to use the molded belts or the quinta studio ones...

IMG_6292.JPG

Talking about Quinta Studio.... this is the cockpit parts....sheeesh there´s even a clear layer over the gauges! It is impossible to achieve this  with painting alone..kind of sad since I love painting cockpits but this is too good to pass!  Much much much better than printed PE wich I've never liked really and rarely used.

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

The heart breaking thing is that I have to remove all these gorgeous details in the molded GWH cockpit! I a ctually really sad to have to remove all...I wish there was a plain cockpit without details to use for the Quinta Studio stuff.

Just look at all those details!! :(

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

But I have to do it...

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

At least some details will survive...

IMG_6298.JPG

Well then, the cockpit is ready for primer and this build is officially started!

IMG_6302.JPG

Cheers!

I know the feeling.......I recently had to do the same with all of the cockpit detail in the new Tamiya 1:48 F-4B Phantom. I used an Eduard SPACE cockpit detail set (same principle as the Quinta set) and found the experience to be very worthwhile but it did necessitate taking a leap of faith !

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Does seem like an act of vandalism but those printed displays should look fantastic once installed.

Indeed.... those details are lovely!

5 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I know the feeling.......I recently had to do the same with all of the cockpit detail in the new Tamiya 1:48 F-4B Phantom. I used an Eduard SPACE cockpit detail set (same principle as the Quinta set) and found the experience to be very worthwhile but it did necessitate taking a leap of faith !

It's painful...but I can't paint as good and detailed as the Quinta studio stuff, however as my next update on Friday will show you that you can really make the cockpit pop with the QS stuff. :D

I have the same kit and markings combo planned for a build.

When I purchased the decals the seller sent me a nice note thanking me for my business and he added some Ukrainian candies to the package. Which I gave to my co-worker Zoia, as she is from Kyiv, the same city the seller is from. Zoia’s mom, brother and brother-in-law are still in Kyiv. Her sister and sister-in-law were able to get out with their children to Poland.

Last I heard this seller was still safe. Sadly the artist for Roden’s boxart was killed in an attack.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

I have the same kit and markings combo planned for a build.

When I purchased the decals the seller sent me a nice note thanking me for my business and he added some Ukrainian candies to the package. Which I gave to my co-worker Zoia, as she is from Kyiv, the same city the seller is from. Zoia’s mom, brother and brother-in-law are still in Kyiv. Her sister and sister-in-law were able to get out with their children to Poland.

Last I heard this seller was still safe. Sadly the artist for Roden’s boxart was killed in an attack.

So very very sad  :(

So it's Friday and as promised a little update on the Flanker

I learn something new

Looking at the Quinta studio prints  I need to find a matching colour...

I have both Akan Sukhoi interior and MRP Sukhoi interior...wich is best? That is matching best.

Akan is a darker hue...

IMG_6323.JPG

and MRP lighter...

IMG_6324.JPG

And this is what I have to relate to... Well neither brand of paint is a perfect match but wich is less unperfect?

IMG_6322.JPG

First I primed the cockpit parts in black...

IMG_6325.JPG

Then I painted one tub in Akan and one in MRP...both look off.

IMG_6326.JPG

I decided to go with Akan...

IMG_6327.JPG

I did as instructed and dipped the QS stuff in water and I used diluted white glue to help them stick.

I'm not sure if to call them parts or decals....I'm leaning towards parts.

It was very easy to apply and manuouver into place.

IMG_6328.JPG

They really make the cockpit pop...a bit of flat coat to remove the shine and a little wash and this will look smashing.

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

Even the buttons on the control stick fit perfectly....I guess QS stuff will be as important as turned pitot tubes in the future...the hobby just got more expensive :P

IMG_6336(1).JPG

Cheers!

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

THe QS stuff does look amazing and simple to use. I guess i just have to get over my nerves and just use them.

It's really forgiving stuff, first I got worried because when it's off the backing paper it has the rigidity of wet kitchen towel mixed with something you sneeze out of your nose :P

But as I said it's forgiving and you can place ande replace as you wish  :)

• Haha 1

And Sunday is here and that means another update is released :D

Getting the office in order

Alright, on we go...

Done some more detail painting...and a bit of scaving on the floor by the pedals. After looking at refs there is a great mix of different bluegrays in the cockpit so I picked off different hues to bring out details and make it more lived in.

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

Started on the IP shroud and the sills...

IMG_6341.JPG

I then added the small stuff into the pits...controlsticks and stuff and covered all with a gloss coat.

IMG_6342.JPG

Then a light wash to enhance the gorgeous details

IMG_6343.JPG

The ejection rails had a funny yellow color I had to make my own mix of 1 part yellow, 1 part desert yellow and 2 parts white. That matched closer :D

IMG_6344.JPG

Next a flat coat and a light drybrush with light blue.

IMG_6345.JPG

Then I put the last parts of the cockpit in place

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

Now I had made a slight mistake early on in the build and I was paying for it now, I hade the two pits mixed up and put the QS stuff for the forward pit in the rear pit and vice verse 😕 They looked almost totallly alike so I didn't think it would matter much. BUT when I was about to glue the pitis into the fuselage there was some differences and I had to adjust for that...like glueing the IP into the fuselage and not in the cockpit as instructed by the manual.... oh well I got it done anyways :P

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

Well that was fun and it looks really good!, those Quita Studio thingies really made a huge difference!

Let's dryfit the seats too...

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

Well then, guess I'll be doing the seats next time :D

Cheers!

• Like 4

Ah, Friday again and here is the weekly update.

Bang Seat Duette

Time for those K36's....

First a little something I picked up from figure painters.

It's really good to have a good handle to hold while working on a small thing with lots of details. I CA glue the seats to old medicin cans as hand holds.  Believ e me it's much nicer than holding on to a toothpick or a stick.

IMG_6354.JPG

Alright, step one remove the ejection rails...kind of glued them on prematurely.

IMG_6355.JPG

Then detail painting as close to refs as possible. The GWH seats are really nice but not really on par with resin seats if you wan't them insane details. But good enough.

IMG_6357.JPG

After the detail paint I drybrushed in dark gray and clear coated the seats and put on all the decals...this is really good of GWH to supply decals to the seats. They really make a diference.

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6361.JPG

Time to add the Quinta Studio belts... first dipped in water.

IMG_6362.JPG

They really add that special touch. They are like thin rubberbands and conforms well to the different surfaces, just be sure that you use white glue to fasten them.

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

Both done...

IMG_6367.JPG

Then a clear coat and a thin dark wash....flat coat and done. Added the ejection rails again.

IMG_6370.JPG

I used white glue to glue the seats in place....this looks great! The cockpit is almost done just lacks the HUDs but I'll wait with installing them until the end of the build since I have a habit of knocking stuff off.

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

Cheers!

• Like 8

Great work so far, this has been the prompt I needed to get on with my one so I’ll be following along in trail with my build.

Your question about matching the QS colour with your paints has been one of the questions I have been asking myself too. I have been gathering images of 71 and the other digital camp’s Ukrainian Flankers for a while and the photos I have seen of 71’s cockpit have me questioning WS’s colour choice.

IMG_9820-600x381.jpg

These are supposedly photos of 71’s cockpit and the colours look more like MRP’s Sukhoi cockpit colour to my eye. I believe the Ukrainian Flankers had been through an update program so wonder if the cockpit colour changed? Food for thought anyway.

Keep up the good work, I’ll be right behind you 😆 

Duncan B

37 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Great work so far, this has been the prompt I needed to get on with my one so I’ll be following along in trail with my build.

Your question about matching the QS colour with your paints has been one of the questions I have been asking myself too. I have been gathering images of 71 and the other digital camp’s Ukrainian Flankers for a while and the photos I have seen of 71’s cockpit have me questioning WS’s colour choice.

IMG_9820-600x381.jpg

These are supposedly photos of 71’s cockpit and the colours look more like MRP’s Sukhoi cockpit colour to my eye. I believe the Ukrainian Flankers had been through an update program so wonder if the cockpit colour changed? Food for thought anyway.

Keep up the good work, I’ll be right behind you 😆 

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan :D

As I noticed there isn't just one blue-gray colour in the cockpit, the plethora of nuances made me confident in that there is leeway :P

• Like 1

Sunday is upon us again and thus an update too.

Up where the wheels go

Yup wheel bays!

In the old days wheelbays just where places you attached the wheels on models, they were just squareish holes where the lugg of the strut fit now days it's something entirely different!

As GWH shows with this kit, the wheelsbays are an important moment in a buld, just as important as the cockpit and GWH made them lovely small models in their own right.

Usually the wheelbays are just something you have to do...but GWH brought the fun to building wheelbays! Youy don't need expensive resin that you have to mess with until they fit and by then you have CA glue everywhere and hav e glued your left eye shut. 

This is magnificient!

Ok, enough of praising GWH and put some styrene together!

I cleaned the parts and made them ready for primer.

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

I primed the parts in black except the tubes, they were primed in white. Then I shot MRP-49 russian wheelbay gray.

IMG_6380.JPG

Painted all the tubes and cables, that are separate pieces!

IMG_6379.JPG

THen I detail painted the walls in the nose wheel bay.

IMG_6381.JPG

Glued the to the bay....

IMG_6382.JPG

And glued the bay to the fuselage.

IMG_6383.JPG

Then I detail painted the stuff for the main bays....

IMG_6384.JPG

OMG, the clutter is spreading! I don't know why I do this...I always end up with a workspace of about 10 x 10 cm!

IMG_6385.JPG

Anyways, I put down a thin wash in the bays to bring out the details.

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

Thought to myself that it probably is a good ideato paint the  bay parts of the fuselage before I install the boxes....said and done!

IMG_6389.JPG

Then I glued all the pipes, cables and plumbings into place in the bays and wow! that is simply awesome! and it was fun!

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

So with the bays done I glued them into the fuselage.

IMG_6394.JPG

Ah they look great!

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6396.JPG

Cheers!

• Like 8