One from the other side - 1/48 FREMS CANA Macchi 339

G'day people,

Just to be different, this will be my entry as I thought a Harrier/Sea Harrier was just too obvious

004(61).JPG

005(58).JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 13

• Pappy changed the title to One from the other side - 1/48 FREMS CANA Macchi 339

G'day people,

I have made a start today. I have started cutting holes in the fuselage

009(47).JPG

I didn't like the kit supplied seats which is a shame as I had some nice PE to dress them up but the seat buckets look too wide and squat and are  best replaced with resin. This creates a problem as replacement seats will be taller and the kit seats are designed to sit on top of raised platforms that are moulded integrally with each tub floor.. Although I could just leave the canopy open and hope nobody will notice, that would just annoy me so I decided to remove the the cockpit floor from easy assembly and add a new floor. Some additional details were added to the tubs as well.

DSCN7532.JPG

DSCN7531.JPG

Better

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9

G'day people,

I have managed to get the cockpit tubs painted up

DSCN7548.JPG

The resin ejection seats have been prepared and are waiting to be painted

DSCN7534.JPG

Finally, I have also got the wings together

DSCN8079.JPG

I only added a bit more plumbing as I don't really think it will be seen. FREMS have molded the MLG closed which is correct, these doors only open when the gear cycles although they can of course be opened for maintenance.

DSCN8080.JPG

There should be an opening looking into the MLG well instead of the solid wall. I thought about opening this up but then I would need to box this area in and the law of diminsishing returns tells me that this is just not worth the hassle so I think I will just cheat and paint it black to simulate the gap,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

Hi Pappy, good to see you in the GB. I don't know this kit but it looks well detailed and your efforts on the seats looks impressive.

How is Brisbane these days? I was there 1966 when service aboard HMS Bulwark, when we made a ten day courtesy visit. Don't think there was much beer in town when we left!

Colin

On 4/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, heloman1 said:

Hi Pappy, good to see you in the GB. I don't know this kit but it looks well detailed and your efforts on the seats looks impressive.

How is Brisbane these days? I was there 1966 when service aboard HMS Bulwark, when we made a ten day courtesy visit. Don't think there was much beer in town when we left!

Colin

G'day Colin,

Glad you popped by., you are all over this forum, like a fat kid on a smartie!

I am glad to say that although  Brizvegas is somewhat more waterlogged than your last visit the beer stocks have thankfully recovered.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

Hi Pappy, Ey, or the fat kind who lives near the chip shop! Glad to hear the beer supply is back to normal, I suppose the girls have long forgotten us.

Thought I'd spend the afternoon checking out everyone else's builds, MotoGP wasn't starting until 8pm! The AIrfix  F-4 Phantom I had purchased wasn't going to build into an RN cab, so I had little else to do!

Now I'm home, I better dig out my Wessex HAS 3.

Colin

G'day people,

I have been looking at period pictured taken during the conflict and cannot decide on what colour the underside was.

It is a very light colour, which could be something close to FS36622 which is a very light grey that can appear as almost white.

The undersides may have been white as the training scheme was all over white and it would make sense to just add a disruptive camo over the top if you were rushing to get aircraft in theatre and reduce their visual signature.

I keep turning up the same pictures and they are not great as the pictures are a little underexposed  and it is hard to decide on either a grubby white or very light grey. I am also dubious of the 'restored' example (4-A-116) as restorations while well meaning are not always accurate. The pictures I have seen of the restored aircraft show the underside in a much darker grey,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

I have managed to get the fuselage together

DSCN8085.JPG

I had read some build articles in which problems were encountered as the cockpit tubs and instrument panels were too wide to fit properly so with that info in mind, I made sure to test fit and reduce the width of these assemblies. I still needed some filler an used a sliver of plastic to fill the gaps but on balance it went well

DSCN8082.JPG

Unfortunately, the fuselage seams go straight through some under fuselage access panels. The aft ones can simply have any lost panel line detail re-scribed but the forward ones include some delicate grille details. Luckily the PE includes two replacement panels however, in order for these to look like access panels and not BDR they need to sit flush. I have cut these panels out in preparation.

DSCN8081.JPG

While I was waiting for glue and filler to harden, the seats were tarted up

DSCN8769.JPG

DSCN8768.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

G'day people,

I managed to get the wings and tail feathers on. Fit was very good with only a swipe of filler required at the wing roots

DSCN8760.JPG
DSCN8759.JPG

Pretty happy with the topside, less so with the bottom

The cutouts for the replacement PE panels are a reasonable fit

DSCN8765.JPG

The issue I am having is attempting to match the curvature of the lower fuselage. If these panels were to be left open this would not be an issue as it would be unlikely that any small differences would be noticeable but fitting them flush is proving a little problematic.

DSCN8772.JPG

I added a little filler to match the profiles

DSCN8773.JPG

I have decided to use a light grey for the underside, notice the difference between the white under fuselage and the tailplane undersides which have been sprayed grey

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

Nice work!

Other side? ;)

Not sure. .. there are always at least 2 sides, no?

And the Argentinian to this day still kind of celebrate and honor this conflict... for whatever exact reason.... :(

16 hours ago, John Masters said:

This is very fine work Pappy.  

Thanks John

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice work!

Other side? ;)

Not sure. .. there are always at least 2 sides, no?

And the Argentinian to this day still kind of celebrate and honor this conflict... for whatever exact reason.... :(

Cheers Werner. Ref the 'other side',  clearly there were two sides. The comment was not intended to be a political comment in any way, but given that this is BRIT modeller, the majority of entries would unsurprisingly  be Bitish in nature as you would expect. No offence was intended at all

G'day people,

Some colour going on. The jugs were painted

DSCN8791.JPG

My jet will be depicted in theatre. My research indicates that these were not installed during the mission flown by Teniente De Navio Crippa on 21 May '82. This was an armed recce  flight. Contemporary pictures show the tanks lying on the ground and there seem to be marked tonal differences between the upper green paint used on these and the aircraft, appearing somewhat darker than the jet. As they will be lying on the ground next to the jet, I filled their mounting holes. I will also need to add some suspension lugs and fuel/air probes to complete them.

The underside panels have finally been tidied up

DSCN8783.JPG

I have now started adding some paint to the jet. Determining colours on these jets is a black art as information is often second and third hand and does not seem to use 'conventional' colours. Some types like the A-4s and S-2s being ex-USN types are no brainers but the Macchi is not one of them. I have arrived at an approximation of the colours based on contemporary pictures taken prior to and during the conflict

DSCN8786.JPG

DSCN8785.JPG

The paint has only been roughly applied at this stage to determine colour compatibility. I will tidy up demarcation lines once satisfied with the paint matches

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 9

Great progress!!

No offence noted at all! :) it just reads as " the dark side off the moon" :D

no Defa cannon pods either?

I assume your kit also has those great turned metal ones, no?

22 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Camo looks good Pappy, I thought, those ailerons stick out a long way from the TE. Then I realised, you're dropping the flaps!

Colin

Yup, that or the trim tabs are huge!

Pappy