VVS roundel (insignia..? bit pointy to be called a roundel) Questions

Jeff G

Thinking of building a Yak-1 around mid-1943. But doing research got my mind swirling with all kinds of questions about locations of the roundels (stars) and how they were painted. I know anything to do with the VVS is complicated, and there's hardly a definitive source, but when was the switch from a plain red star to a white trimmed star? And some are outlined with a black line..? And Did Yak-1's EVER have the stars on the upper wing surfaces? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Jeff

Ever?  not really a good word when it comes to aircraft markings, but in this case we can be pretty well certain that Soviet types didn't carry red stars on their upper wings in this period.  I agree that VVS colours are pretty poorly served in English language books, but the link above will take you to the finest reference around.  They weren't actually that complicated, just earlier published accounts were ignorant and confused.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jeff G said:

And Did Yak-1's EVER have the stars on the upper wing surfaces?

First series-produced Yak-1 fighters (painted in uniform green upper-surfaces) were delivered on Sept 11th 1940.

The instructions to delete stars on wing upper surfaces (as well as introducing green/black upper cammo) were published the same day of the German attack - June 22nd 1941.

So yes, the earliest Yak-1s did have stars on wing upper surfaces (visible at the very right of image below), albeit for a very brief time.

spacer.png

img source: Table of colors utilized on Soviet warplanes June 1940 - July 1941

Regards,

Aleksandar

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1