Sav m/43

Orso

um-sav_00.JPG
I have bought a Sav m/43 from UM. The Swedish 

um-sav_01.JPG
But I'm not entirely happy of the resin superstructure. The model on the left is Fujimi that I bought second hand. It look more correct even with the shorter chassis when you compare with the original.

sav_m43-2.jpg
(the picture comes from http://www.ointres.se/sav_m43-2.jpg)

um-sav_10.JPG
Apart from the fact that it all looks too low, the resin part had some other problems. The bottom on the right side wasn't flat, it was curved and didn't sit right on the fender.
The front has an fault to. It doesn't end up in a 90 deg angle to the sides.

um-sav_05.JPG
I tried to raise it with a little plastic at the bottom, but then everything ends up too far ahead. At the time I was testing things on a Strv m/41 chassis I was building at the time.

um-sav_04.JPG
I had an earlier attempt to build a Sav on a chassis from Attack that had failed so I tried my superstructure on the UM chassis.

um-sav_15.JPG
There are small differences in dimensions between Attack and UM kits so it does not fit completely but I think I will build a new superstructure. I'll use a slightly thicker plastic this time.

um-sav_13.JPG
I have now started on the UM model and noticed that they made a new plate above the transmission. It is thicker at the rear to increase the angle and fit against the new resin part. Unfortunately, it is too short for my construction. The plate is made to fit against the resin superstructure and therefore the distance from the transmission hatch and the front edge of the superstructure is too short.

um-sav_14.JPG
If I use the plate for the tank instead, things works  better.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...