Fujimi 1/12th motorcycles

Kiwidave4

Although I have modelled most things in my life it is fifty odd years since I last built a motorcycle - the Protar Manx.

These days I am very much an armour modeller but whilst browsing our local online auction site I spotted a Honda CB1300 which just happens to be the beast my son-in-law rides. 

Thought I might get one and build it for his birthday, but have no experience of the Fujimi kits and wonder if any bike builders have an opinion?

The specific kit is #141565 - the faired version of the CB.

Thanks in advance and anticipation!

I've done a couple of their racers and have enjoyed them. A little bit fiddly in parts but nothing too stressful. Can be built nicely straight from the box although, as Gamblor says, a bit of aftermarket would boost some of the details.

• Thanks 1

It’s not a particularly great kit from memory the engine is melded with some of the frame etc it’s not a patch on their later stuff. It should make a reasonable representation but due to how it is molded I sold my one on.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 1:23 AM, veg said:

It’s not a particularly great kit from memory the engine is melded with some of the frame etc it’s not a patch on their later stuff. It should make a reasonable representation but due to how it is molded I sold my one on.

Thanks, sorry I missed your reply earlier.

Yes I managed to find sprue shots and instruction sheets online and it looked pretty crude. If I was looking for a big project I might be inclined to tackle it but I was wanting a simple quickie in time for my son-in-laws birthday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a quick, relatively simple kit to put together I really, really, can't recommend this for the aforementioned reason. I had one also and very quickly realised that I'd never build it. Engine needs to be painted and built first before putting it inside the frame but for some reason they decided to mold fuel tank and rear cowlings as part of the frame which means there will be at least a line between the parts when put together. And this is if you can mask everything off well enough to paint the frame and tank/cowling after putting the engine in.

Of course it can all be separated and painted/assembled individually but this will very likely require at least some scratchbuilding to make it clean.

Sad to say as it looked like somewhat well detailed so it probably would build into a nice bike if it had been given a little more thought when engineering it. Or still would build into a nice one if treated with enough skill and time.

• Thanks 1