KV-85, SOVIET HEAVY TANK, 1/35 TRUMPETER, THE LAST OF A LINE

On 16/04/2022 at 11:25, Rumblestripe said:

A really very nice build. I'm not a fan of "chipping" on models, I often think that the end result looks more like a well played with die cast toy than a representation of a real life vehicle, You have got the balance perfectly right for me. I love the staining from rust spots running down the vehicle and the use of colour is superb. 

Bravo, sirrah! Hat duly tipped. Jolly good show old chap!:worthy:

Hi Rumblestripe,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

An interesting thought about chipping, hadn't occurred to me.
I try not to overdo the chipping on the models (I like it though...sorry...lol).
I don't know to what extent it can be real or incorrect, but I often surprise myself when I go down the street or in a car, looking at a building, parked machinery, vehicles... noticing rust stains, drips, chips, and I remember of the models, trying to extrapolate reality with the models.
I think that being such a creative hobby, it is difficult to put aside your personal tastes and not allow yourself some artistic license for the sake of reality...
Personally, I like AFVs that have been used in combat a lot more, because I think it's the perfect mix to unite reality with intense weathering (which I like... lol)

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 08:30, Bertie Psmith said:

Great! A well worked old beast. Beautiful painting 

Hi Bertie,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

It really was a beast, next to my IS-2, it is as big as it, or almost bigger...the prototype with the 122, it looks as imposing as the IS-2...
although he does seem like a minor guy, as I comment in the intro, in reality and in my rendition, he seems to have been unpopular in both respects.
Let's see the next model if it "hits" more...lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 09/05/2022 at 07:16, cifenet said:

Wow, the detailing is amazing and I think I can already feel the surface texture!  So real and convincing!  Awesome, indeed. 

Hi cifenet,

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it.

I love what you say about the feel of the surface texture, it makes it look like the real thing...
It can be compared with some photo of the real model, and they look quite similar...lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis. Hope you are well. I must admit I thought I'd commented in this thread earlier, but obviously not! As usual, this build is up to your incredibly high standards! Fantastic, build, painting and weathering! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2022 at 14:45, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. Hope you are well. I must admit I thought I'd commented in this thread earlier, but obviously not! As usual, this build is up to your incredibly high standards! Fantastic, build, painting and weathering! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Many thanks for your like, follow and most kind words, i'm glad you like it. 

I'm not bad at all, thanks, I think I'll start modeling again soon, I hope I haven't lost the touch...
No problem, you ended up seeing the topic, as they say, better late than never...lol
It is a little-known model, one could say a "Cinderella", next to the IS-2, both in real life and in modeling, since it does not seem that the topic has been very popular...:think:
All the best and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

Great model. Painting, weathering, chipping. I enjoyed watching it.
But there is a nuance...
the KV-85 tower from trumpeter has the wrong geometry. The KV-85 and IS-1 should have a symmetrical tower. I'll attach a drawing.
At the same time, the gentlemen from trumpeter to IS-1 then put the right tower in the set (at least according to the upper projection) Of course, there are also enough shoals, but mostly similar.
I haven't delved deeper yet, but colleagues from different forums wrote about small nuances such as the number of bolts on the engine compartment lid and other small things.
7187995-5186516.jpg

• Thanks 1

Far too much rust for me, I'm afraid.  Armour plate doesn't rust that quickly and weld metal never rusts.  Track alloy with manganese as the Russians used did not rust to red or orange tones.  The tracks themselves are fine but the spare links wouldn't be like that. Apart from that the detail and finish are excellent.  4BO green could vary tremendously in colour.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Сергей Никитин said:

Gran modelo. Pintura, meteorización, astillado. Disfruté viéndolo.
Pero hay un matiz...
la torre KV-85 de trompetista tiene la geometría incorrecta. El KV-85 y el IS-1 deben tener una torre simétrica. Adjunto un dibujo.
Al mismo tiempo, los caballeros de trompetista a IS-1 luego colocan la torre derecha en el conjunto (al menos según la proyección superior) Por supuesto, también hay suficientes bajíos, pero en su mayoría similares.
Todavía no profundicé más, pero colegas de diferentes foros escribieron sobre pequeños matices, como la cantidad de tornillos en la tapa del compartimiento del motor y otras cosas pequeñas.
7187995-5186516.jpg

Hi Sergey,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, 

what you say is very interesting, although I haven't quite "seen" the turret...lol, I've compared my top view with the drawing you provide, and I can't see any significant differences between the two...
In any case, I'm sure your info is accurate.
On the other hand, although if it is possible, I like the kit to be close to the real model, for me it is secondary, the first thing being to get something that at first glance, you will be able to recognize as a real model, without a shadow of a doubt. , although if you look carefully, expert eyes will find inaccuracies...
I think, IMHO, that there are very few kits on the market that are 100% correct on that subject, and would need a scratch by the modeler, to a greater or lesser extent, something that is not my strong point.
I still have in the stash, a lot of Soviet material, from WW2 to the cold war... and from what I see, there will be discrepancies in accuracy... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

12 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Far too much rust for me, I'm afraid.  Armour plate doesn't rust that quickly and weld metal never rusts.  Track alloy with manganese as the Russians used did not rust to red or orange tones.  The tracks themselves are fine but the spare links wouldn't be like that. Apart from that the detail and finish are excellent.  4BO green could vary tremendously in colour.

HI Das Abteilung,

Thank you very much for the info, I'm glad that despite everything, you like it.
As for the rust, what you say is very interesting, I really try not to overdo it, but, I allow myself some artistic license....lol.
The tracks, I'm afraid the camera played a bit of dirty tricks on me, it's true, that simply by polishing the projections, I would have the metal (these are metal), and the tone, in reality it's not so orange, but I didn't feel like reassembling everything for a new photo session...
Also very successful about the tones with the 4BO, I saw a long time ago in the forum a photo of a depot of Soviet vehicles, I think they were BTRs or similar, older, in it, there were many of these, all in green, but there were groups of them in which the tone ranged from ocher to the lightest green...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 06/06/2022 at 12:17, Planes123 said:

One word sums this up…

Brilliant!

Well done! Great sense of realism. 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for your most kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Great model. You certainly have the technique.
I do concur with DAbteilung here... A bit too much wear if I would do it. Although it is a Russian tank anyway. :)  It does look convincingly like a tank that survived the war rather than serving freshly after a month off the factory line.
The KV-85 is one of my fav tanks. Perhaps the best looking ww2 Russian tanks imho.

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2022 at 19:26, Steben said:

Great model. You certainly have the technique.
I do concur with DAbteilung here... A bit too much wear if I would do it. Although it is a Russian tank anyway. :)  It does look convincingly like a tank that survived the war rather than serving freshly after a month off the factory line.
The KV-85 is one of my fav tanks. Perhaps the best looking ww2 Russian tanks imho.

Hi Steben,

Many thanks for your , like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Maybe there is a little more rust than it should be...lol, but as you say, it is exactly what I wanted to show (and what I like), a vehicle that has been / is on the battlefield, with only one essential maintenance for it to move and shoot, hence that aspect...
If we compare the real photos, we see that those vehicles also look dirty and worn, although being in black and white, it is not easy to interpret what colors they would be...
Yes, it is curious that your Soviet WW2 type is this model, and not an IS-2 or the T34, because as I mentioned, it is a smaller type, rarely seen... I am glad to have made the right choice...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

we see that those vehicles also look dirty and worn, although being in black and white, it is not easy to interpret what colors they would be...

Dirt and rust do look the same in B/W. But like I said, your model is "realistically aged" anyway.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hello Francis,

Superb model. It looks very heavy, and realistic; the weatherig is totally convincing!!

And I really love the pictures. The black background helps to highligh the tank.

Congratulations! 👏👏👏

Josep

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josep said:

Hello Francis,

Superb model. It looks very heavy, and realistic; the weatherig is totally convincing!!

And I really love the pictures. The black background helps to highligh the tank.

Congratulations! 👏👏👏

Josep

Hi Josep,

Many thanks for your like and kinf comments, i'm glad you like it.

You're right, it's a model that, due to its shapes (it really was a heavy tank), already gives a heavy-metal sensation, also when you pick it up, since it has metallic Friuls, it has an appreciable weight, so when weighing it, it feels as what it represents... a very "cool" feeling. Personally I like models with marked weathering, although I tend to moderate lately, maybe with this one I went a bit too far, but, where would the artistic license be...lol. I have discovered that with a black background, it is easier to take the photos, since white reflects the light, and it is really difficult for the tone of the model not to change much, so I tend to use only the black background. Then it's much easier (at least for me), to edit the photos (cropping, custom, background erase, and what's better, the tone is almost 100% real).

Cheers and Tc

Francis.👍

• 1 month later...