KV-85, SOVIET HEAVY TANK, 1/35 TRUMPETER, THE LAST OF A LINE

Hi Pals,

A bit of history...(source Wikipedia):

"A stopgap upgrade to the KV series was the short-lived KV-85 or Objekt 239. This was a KV-1S with the new turret from the Object 237 (IS-85) still in development, mounting the same 85 mm D-5T gun as the SU-85 and early versions of the T-34-85 (not yet in production at the time). The 85 mm proved capable of penetrating the Tiger I from 1000 m and the demand for it slowed production of the KV-85 tremendously, only 148 were built between August and October 1943.[18] Soviet industry was therefore able to produce a heavy tank as well armed as the Tiger I before the end of 1943. Although the KV-85 was an excellent opponent to the Tigers and Panthers, it was a stopgap and thus was built in small numbers.[15] The complete Object 237 was accepted into service as the IS-85 and was produced in the autumn and winter of 1943-44; they were sent to the front as of October 1943 and production of the IS-85/IS-1 was stopped by the spring of 1944 once the IS-122/IS-2 entered full-scale production."

A new model, already finished, I'm sorry I don't have photos of the assembly and painting for a WIP, but everything was lost...
I think that this tank can be considered a "lesser type", since the JS-2 Stalin, the most valid model, won the game, so it seems that in the field of modeling it is also little seen.
I wanted to make one of these, because it is still a KV-1, but with a very T34/85 turret (in fact I have changed the turrets of my T34/85 and the KV85 and they could pass for a "real" model). ..LOL

I saw that there was a test version with the 122mm gun, which is very similar to the JS-2 in appearance, so, not having any KV-1, I preferred to make one with the 85mm gun.

The kit is pretty good in my opinion, and I don't recall any significant problems with assembly. It includes some very good vinyl tracks and others made of rigid plastic, also very good, with already preformed segments...

Still, since I had some Friuls that I could use, I decided to use them in this kit.
They were already mounted on an ISU-152 that I made a long time ago, but, with the intended improvement in the models,
I saw that I had "left something that could be improved" (it was not in vain that it was my first purchase when I returned to the hobby)....
I had to clean them well, because they had a lot of pigment and snow in some points that made their handling and reassembly difficult, and add a few more links (I had spare parts)...

I also added the aluminum barrel, although once painted...there is no difference.

The towing cables are from the Eureka brand, which I had prepared long ago for some Soviet vehicle.

An antenna, which was exchanged for the stump from the kit, and the muzzles of the machine gun that I managed to pierce.

I'm still trying the shade of green, although this one, with the idea of a subsequent weathering in mind that doesn't get too dark, was a little lighter than I would have liked, but I was satisfied.

I have tried to show a used vehicle, in the last months of the war, I imagine that in a very chaotic and dangerous environment (with the big German cats and their Paks getting bigger and bigger).

I have used pigments in the "belly", sides and some wheels, to simulate dry mud.

Weathering, as always, with occasional washes to get details, chipping at "contact" points and use of oils to simulate rust, grease, and wear at points of use.

I hope you like it, it is not a popular model, but it is part of history, and it helps to understand models from the same period and later developments...
I attach some real photos for comparison with the kit.

Thank you very much as always for watching and commenting

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

wvVd6AD.jpg

0pVQXjE.jpg

jQxOHm7.jpg

E5JWzLM.jpg

5NImfb6.jpg

lVD5htv.jpg

2Wq38BC.jpg

NXVJodi.jpg

3pAAQoW.jpg

GMUdArq.jpg

smFZ19v.jpg

p0yiw9l.jpg

8A8uEuT.jpg

1LNrStK.jpg

wzJGMvu.jpg

M3xG8cK.jpg

iVULstJ.jpg

myZ9qM6.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 40

For vehicles on KV/IS chassis there should always be metallic abrasions of the tracks at contact with the wheels (the wheels are all steel with no rubber). The rust on the exhaust pipes is also debatable - this was a pretty thick piece of metal" and it would be hard for them to corrode that badly. But this is a common treatment on many models, which increases the aesthetic value but is debatable in terms of content. All the rest of the KV is very nicely done and overall it is an attractive model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrykd said:

Why the tracks are Pink. Is this Hello Kitty edition? 😉

Hi,

Pink tracks?...it could be that they are not too dark, but I assure you that I have not used "Pink color" for their appearance, perhaps the white balance or saturation of the photos themselves or the calibration of your monitor or smartphone makes you see that effect?
cheers

57 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

For vehicles on KV/IS chassis there should always be metallic abrasions of the tracks at contact with the wheels (the wheels are all steel with no rubber). The rust on the exhaust pipes is also debatable - this was a pretty thick piece of metal" and it would be hard for them to corrode that badly. But this is a common treatment on many models, which increases the aesthetic value but is debatable in terms of content. All the rest of the KV is very nicely done and overall it is an attractive model.

Hi Tom.

Many thanks for your comments, 

These are the first and only metal tracks that I have worked on, so their technique is still very new to me, simply by having polished the contact points a bit, it would have the effect you say... next time it will be like this. ..
The rust that you mention is true, on the one hand it helps to break the monotony of a single color (green), and it is, for my taste, "cool", although it may not fit 100% with reality.
Chers and TC
Francis.👍

That beastie looks like it's still rolling around looking for a fresh German target.  Very nice work!  I like a heavily weathered tank; any monkey can paint a model, but the weathering is what sets the experienced builders apart from the novices.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2022 at 22:25, KAYELL said:

Excellent build and finish there Francis

Love the green tones and battered look

Spot on

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

On 27/03/2022 at 21:42, Carius said:

Hi my friend, you have done a superb work.

Cheers :cheers:

Cesar

Hi Cesar,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

• FrancisGL changed the title to KV-85, SOVIET HEAVY TANK, 1/35 TRUMPETER, THE LAST OF A LINE,
  • FrancisGL changed the title to KV-85, SOVIET HEAVY TANK, 1/35 TRUMPETER, THE LAST OF A LINE
On 30/03/2022 at 21:47, ErikT said:

That beastie looks like it's still rolling around looking for a fresh German target.  Very nice work!  I like a heavily weathered tank; any monkey can paint a model, but the weathering is what sets the experienced builders apart from the novices.

Hi ErikT,

Many thanks for your kind comments, I love what you think about the model, it transcends the "plastic pile"...lol
The painting for "monkeys"...lol, I'm dying of laughter...but hey, before running you have to know how to walk, and it's true that for better or for worse, a weathering process does indicate that you are someone who has been making models for a long time... for me, the most fun and interesting part of modeling (and that can make or break all the previous work)
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 31/03/2022 at 13:58, Bertie Psmith said:

Beautiful weathering! I love it. You obviously have great skills in this area, the rust and most especially the chipping is superb.

You are a natural for this GB which we are proposing for next year. 

Hi Bertie,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, and say I'm talented with "this"...lol, much appreciated, believe me when I tell you that I try...

I thank you for the kind invitation to the GB that you propose, a different and original theme and a very appropriate title.
I have already participated in two GBs, "Sherman" and "PzIV", and I was not very convinced by the theme, a certain time to finish (obviously), and a very unfortunate result for my work (the first places were very deservedly obtained), so that "pressure" does not convince me at all.
It's not every day you can dedicate some time to your hobby, or if you can, or you're not inspired, or you feel like doing something else...that's great when you don't have a deadline to finish...lol.
On the other hand, I don't have any "rust to death" models, all the kits in the stash are new and basically the best and most difficult (and expensive), so I'd have to "ruin" some... which I try not to do at all costs...lol.
And finally, it's been almost two years since I've done anything new, just photos of the last ones that I finished before that time... I hope to be able to make more models again soon...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

A really very nice build. I'm not a fan of "chipping" on models, I often think that the end result looks more like a well played with die cast toy than a representation of a real life vehicle, You have got the balance perfectly right for me. I love the staining from rust spots running down the vehicle and the use of colour is superb. 

Bravo, sirrah! Hat duly tipped. Jolly good show old chap!:worthy:

• Thanks 1

On 05/04/2022 at 23:27, Maddoxx77 said:

Excellent build as always! The chipping and weathering is top of the bill. 

Hi Maddoxx, 

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1