Bye Bye 100 Sqn

canberraman

On Thursday March 24th 2022, 100 Sqn disbanded at RAF Leeming after 105 years of illustrious RAF service, the final 27 of which have been at the North Yorkshire base. The ceremony was headed by AVM Ian Duguid – AOC 1 Group, who presided over a parade of squadron personnel, invited guests and RAF dignitaries, accompanied by music from the Band of the RAF College. The squadron performed a flypast of six of their black painted Hawk T.1 jets, including XX221, with a special red painted fin and commemorative markings. Also performing were the RAF Red Arrows, who did a flypast. AVM Duguid said to the assembled personnel “100 Squadron has always delivered whenever it was needed in the most professional manner. The final chapter in the Squadron’s history at RAF Leeming is one you should be very proud of. The role you have played as a first-class aggressor squadron, providing essential support to the UK frontline over the last 25 years cannot be underestimated.  The dedication you have shown to the very end epitomises the very best quality of the RAF.”

RAF Leeming Station Commander, Group Captain Gareth Prendergast added “It was an emotional moment watching the Hawk T1s return to base for the last time”. “100 Squadron is really intertwined with the station, the RAF and the region as well. Over the decades that we have spent together we have a real history. It absolutely was emotional to watch them come back. I think that coming out of lockdown and what is happening more broadly in the world, it brings home how important squadrons like 100 have been.”

On the preceding Monday, March 21st, a practice for the 100 Sqn flypast was conducted at which also there was a final photo call. This flypast involved the following  six sqn aircraft:    XX221/CO, XX202/CS, XX261/CJ, XX348/CQ, XX191/CC and XX198/CH. Whipper-in was XX339/CL. 

100 squadron’s aircraft are due to be flown to RAF Shawbury for storage, and possible future reassignment to the final remaining U.K  Hawk T.1 operating unit, the Red Arrows. 736 NAS - which provided simulated target facilities services for the Royal Navy with the Hawk T.1, is also to stand down at the end of March 2022.

100 Squadron’s primary role of providing advanced air combat training in the UK and overseas will in future be undertaken via a contractorized service and using predominantly synthetic and computer based methodology.

Here's a few images I took at the disbandment practice on March 21st.

img

The final 100 Sqn aircrew patch marking their 105 years of service.

img

The squadron's famous skull and crossbones badge adorning their HQ building at RAF Leeming.  

img

XX221, 100 Sqn's OC's mount, whose fin depicts the first ‘blood and brains’ 100 Squadron flag which was acquired during World War 1, morphed into the iconic crest depicting a skull and cross bones, and was formally approved by King George in 1937. The red of the tail represents the Squadron’s most recent role of providing ‘Red Air’ threat replication to train the Royal Air Force’s frontline combat Squadrons. The blue and yellow flashes represent the official Squadron colours.

Following squadron disbandment, XX221 is designated for the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, where it will be painted all over red.

img

100 Squadron's six aircraft involved in the farewell flypast, plus the spare 'whipper in'/photo ship aircraft.

img

Crewing up prior to departing for the practice flypast.

img

XX198/CH heads out to depart.

img

XX191/CC

img

XX202/CS

img

XX261/CJ

img

img

img

img

img

Led by XX221, the 6 display aircraft returned to the 100 Sqn dispersal

img

img

XX348/CQ

img

Opportunity was also taken to photograph the Hawk 165s of the Qatar AF 11 Sqn, based at Leeming, where Qatari fast jet pilots are trained by RAF instructors. This photo shows aircraft ZB132.

img

RAF Leeming gate guard, Tornado F.3 ZH552, wearing the fin markings of the three ADV sqns formerly based at the station - 11, 23 and 25.

Thanks for looking. Hope these photos have been of interest.

Mark

Edited by canberraman
errors noted
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 14
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, canberraman said:

RAF Leeming gate guard, Tornado F.3 ZH552, wearing the fin markings of the three ADV sqns formerly based at the station - 5, 11 and 23.

The three former RAF Leeming Tornado F.3 Squadrons were - 11, 23 and 25. (5 Sqn was at Coningsby)

Thank you for some impressive photos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The three former RAF Leeming Tornado F.3 Squadrons were - 11, 23 and 25. (5 Sqn was at Coningsby)

Thank you for some impressive photos.

Oops my mistake Bob. I'll correct straight away. Thanks for the reply!

Mark

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tweeky said:

5F sqn were never at Leeming it was 11F, 23F and 25F

Thanks for the correction and now amended. Just to be pedantic 5F was in fact 5(AC) Sqn. Never in fact had a fighter suffix.  

Mark

1 minute ago, canberraman said:

Thanks for the correction and now amended. Just to be pedantic 5F was in fact 5(AC) Sqn. Never in fact had a fighter suffix.  

Mark

Sorry but your wrong 5 Sqn was designated a fighter Sqn when operating Lightning and Tornados. When the re-equipped with the Sentinel they were designated with the AC designation. I was on 5F at Binbrook and have the Sqn badge with the F on it. 

Mark  

2 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Sorry but your wrong 5 Sqn was designated a fighter Sqn when operating Lightning and Tornados. When the re-equipped with the Sentinel they were designated with the AC designation. I was on 5F at Binbrook and have the Sqn badge with the F on it. 

Mark  

I stand corrected!

Shame to see them go, I remember the them entering service in 1976 and so they have had a good run for their money. I should imagine that fast jet training is hard on airframes and so their lives most be limited. Pity for us modellers that so much training is simulation based these days. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Mark. I hope you're well. An excellent record of a poignant day. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Hi Leigh,

I'm doing very well thanks, trust you are OK too?  Many thanks as ever for the supportive comments. I am particularly sad to see the end of 100 Sqn as I have an affinity with the sqn since moving to near Wyton some 30 years ago when the Ton's Canberras were also resident. Sadly ongoing contractorisation means another fine RAF sqn will go, likely never to return :(   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Evalman said:

Lovely set of images.  A sad week all round with 736 NAS disbanding as well.  

Hi Evalman and everyone else that has commented or 'liked'. 

Thanks for the kind words. You're right about 736.  No doubt the SW will be a lot quieter for military jets from now on. 

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, Bedders said:

Great photos. A pity that the Mk 1 Hawk is on the way out, and more squadrons head for suspended animation too.

Justin

I agree Justin.  Although the Hawk T.1 seems to have been around forever it is sad to think that the end is nigh (apart from the Red Arrows of course).  100 Sqn has a rich and varied history but like so many other casualties of RAF downsizing, I fear is unlikely to return.

Mark

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

great photos!

sad occasion....

thanks also for the F3 photo! need to build another one!

Thanks Exdraken!  You can't have too many F3s!

Mark

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Thanks Exdraken!  You can't have too many F3s!

Mark

I have only 3 built so far, all in 48th... :)

One each of the more relevant kits out there....

Italeri, Airfix ( the one with the  recessed upper fuselage.....) Revell  in Firebirds, Fighting Cocks and Falklands Defenders markings...

Plenty to do still :D

Probably I should also consider buildIng a Hawk once..... ;)

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 6:35 PM, canberraman said:

Hi Evalman and everyone else that has commented or 'liked'. 

Thanks for the kind words. You're right about 736.  No doubt the SW will be a lot quieter for military jets from now on. 

Mark

Well some one has to do it kinda difficult to simulate in a random way in bound air raid warning red in the ops room on a live gash barge .presume HHA or Draken aviation will take over.