Bismarck ! Her last voyage.

I based the colour scheme on the one I found in the book “Bismarck and Tirpitz” by Steve Backer. #10 in the Shipcraft Series.

He showed Bismarck with the swastika at bow and stern and with the turret tops painted yellow, he also showed the vestiges of a black and white stripe pattern on the hull and superstructure.
This I didn’t include.

Whether Bismarck had these bow and stern symbols and the yellow turret tops, appears to open to conjecture. 

And honestly, does it matter ?
I build this model for my enjoyment and hopefully the entertainment of those who followed the build, I never expected it to be 100% historically accurate, although I did try to get the colours correct, thanks to Colourcoats.
But I think it turned out ok, it was certainly a challenge to build in thIs scale and one I doubt I’ll repeat, but never say never.

Jon

Hello Faraway, thanks for your response. let me start repeating, that your model does not looks OK, it looks superb. Historically: "On the 22 May 1941, in Korsfjord the swastikas and the top of the main and secondary turrets were painted over." Areal identification was of most importance during the operations near Germany and the Norwegian coastal areas. On departing for the operation "Rhineübung in the Mid-Atlantic this aerial identification for "own troops" was no concern anymore. So on the 21 or 22nd of May 1941 the swastika's and top turrets of main and secondary armament were painted over, while anchored in the Korsfjord. It could be very well, that overtime, on the sea bed the top layer of this hastily done job, has become undone. Is this important, for me personally it is. But at the end, I agree fully with you. Modelling is a hobby that gives us all a lot of joy. I am looking forward to your next project.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hello Faraway, thanks for your response. let me start repeating, that your model does not looks OK, it looks superb. Historically: "On the 22 May 1941, in Korsfjord the swastikas and the top of the main and secondary turrets were painted over." Areal identification was of most importance during the operations near Germany and the Norwegian coastal areas. On departing for the operation "Rhineübung in the Mid-Atlantic this aerial identification for "own troops" was no concern anymore. So on the 21 or 22nd of May 1941 the swastika's and top turrets of main and secondary armament were painted over, while anchored in the Korsfjord. It could be very well, that overtime, on the sea bed the top layer of this hastily done job, has become undone. Is this important, for me personally it is. But at the end, I agree fully with you. Modelling is a hobby that gives us all a lot of joy. I am looking forward to your next project.

I thank you for your praise.

Perhaps my depiction of Bismarck can be from 18th May 1941 ?
My primary reason for this colour scheme was one of ‘I like this look’. So many warships are just grey, probably why I cause myself much work having to try to paint Royal Navy ships, with Western Approach’s camouflage.

After what you have said, it did cross my mind to give the offending areas a very thin coat of grey, through which you can still see the colours. 

Hello Faraway,

Thanks for your kind response.

Highest Regards from The Netherlands.

• Like 1