13 Jun 82, Mt Tumbledown. XZ997 ***Finished***

Everyone has their first childhood memories of the News, the Taskforce returning to Port is mine. I was 4 years old when the Falklands campaign happened. 

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Harrier GR3, so thought I’d give on a bash for this GB and there was a rear link Sgt in one of my units that had transferred from the Scots Guards who was  on Mt Tumbledown during the battle as a GPMG gunner which gave me sortie profile.

I was able to get a copy of a crib that was put together by Nick Greenall of the Harrier SIG for the Kinetic kit.

i picked up a couple of Paveway II’s that were used on the sortie, smart munitions weren’t used extensively in the conflict mainly due to battery reliability for the ground designation kit so I’ve been told.

I will get some pictures of the kit over the weekend as it’s currently in the loft, a first view of the kit it looks very nice and even I should make a reasonable job of it.

7195-C8-FA-C438-4-C28-B3-AB-91710622-E34

A40-C7-DF8-947-C-44-F6-971-D-D24649-B979

• Like 12

The obligatory proof of life picture, really looking forward to starting this one. I went through the instructions last night, scrubbing out the bits I didn’t need and add the part numbers of those I do.

BF073-B2-D-61-F2-480-B-8718-D4274310-FBB

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Top choice ozzy, i look forward to this

Thanks Glynn,

hopefully I can do her justice, it looks a fantastic kit and the first Harrier I will have built since the Matchbox kit in the early 90’s.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Glynn,

hopefully I can do her justice, it looks a fantastic kit and the first Harrier I will have built since the Matchbox kit in the early 90’s.

ozzy, a difficult kit from what I've heard but still its a 48th scale  gr3 ,awsome !  I'm  searching for an airfix 72nd gr3 atm, i have the airfix sar and the new mold v bomber , it would be nice to do them all in 72nd in propper @Enzo Matrix style

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hewy said:

ozzy, a difficult kit from what I've heard but still its a 48th scale  gr3 ,awsome !  I'm  searching for an airfix 72nd gr3 atm, i have the airfix sar and the new mold v bomber , it would be nice to do them all in 72nd in propper @Enzo Matrix style

Glynn, Good luck with your search for an Airfix 1/72 kit, I’ve been finding the older kits are going for inflated prices as they seem to be an investment commodity rather that enjoyment. I have read a few articles and someone kindly sent me a crib of the best way to put the internals together, it will make a nice change from Armour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Glynn, Good luck with your search for an Airfix 1/72 kit, I’ve been finding the older kits are going for inflated prices as they seem to be an investment commodity rather that enjoyment. I have read a few articles and someone kindly sent me a crib of the best way to put the internals together, it will make a nice change from Armour.

Yes everything seems to be going up in price,   I know this build is out of your comfort zone Ozzy but you'll manage it with some to spare I'm sure. , apparently the 72nd airfix gr3 is being re realeased, but as a gift set I believe, and not for another couple of months yet 😔

Good luck with yours Ozzy 👍,Hopefully there's a 72nd gr3 for auction soon to complete my trio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes everything seems to be going up in price,   I know this build is out of your comfort zone Ozzy but you'll manage it with some to spare I'm sure. , apparently the 72nd airfix gr3 is being re realeased, but as a gift set I believe, and not for another couple of months yet 😔

Good luck with yours Ozzy 👍,Hopefully there's a 72nd gr3 for auction soon to complete my trio

Thanks Glynn, 

good luck with your quest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

building the same kit and airframe over in ground attack Gb Ozzy

good luck with yours👍

the kit seems ok so far

Thanks Dansk,

I shall be following your build closely. Looks like your making good progress.

An interesting subject. I had a friend at the time was on board Hermes serving in 899 NAS Sea Harriers. He said it was cold down in those latitudes and Hermes wasn't equipped to deal with it, nor sufficiently well armed. Most of the time, they slept in their working gear with respirators at the ready!

I'll follow with interest.

Colin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heloman1 said:

An interesting subject. I had a friend at the time was on board Hermes serving in 899 NAS Sea Harriers. He said it was cold down in those latitudes and Hermes wasn't equipped to deal with it, nor sufficiently well armed. Most of the time, they slept in their working gear with respirators at the ready!

I'll follow with interest.

Colin

thanks Colin,

I can’t imagine being stuck out in the south Atlantic the warmest, I sat here shivering thinking about it. 

I’ve got a bit started today, 

95-D6-E545-1-A9-E-4-EE0-8863-F3-A46-F0-C

• Like 3

Hi Ozzy, neat start. Not the warmest yesterday, we had a cold front swept in from the Ant-Arctic, cold and damp. Me think an early onset of winter is on the cards!!!

Not my favourite time of the year!

Colin

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 11:11, heloman1 said:

Hi Ozzy, neat start. Not the warmest yesterday, we had a cold front swept in from the Ant-Arctic, cold and damp. Me think an early onset of winter is on the cards!!!

Not my favourite time of the year!

Colin

Thanks Colin,

im shivering at the thought of winter coming, I think we had our summer in the UK a few weeks ago as we had some sunshine.

I had a look at the seat straps in the kit and thought I’d treat myself to this nice set from Eduard.

74-C57344-5037-4134-B285-B2094-F1236-B2.

i’m also thinking of another treat of the camouflage paint mask set.

• Like 1

really enjoying this build, I painted the cockpit dials and the fan intake as well as getting things all stuck in. I then took the plunge and got the fuselage halves together, the wings and tail fin are just dry fitted at the moment.

15-D671-CB-AED8-41-C1-8925-BF44606139-EA

80-BB21-DD-5358-4-D07-9545-152-BEC134-A1

E0-A4-B947-972-C-4-FF5-92-F9-895-CC6-FA8

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Pappy said:

😒 No images for me 

Pappy

I sometimes get that pappy, I find reloading the page works.

Oz

after a bit of fettling on the fuselage, I thought I’d move the locating holes a little further back. After reading @NG899 notes. I also moved the outer pylons to a more correct position.

For the inner pylons I dry fitted the wings and made up a fuel tank and position by eye roughly where it should be, the outer ones I used a pylon to workout the correct distance and position form the leading edge.

HVTb1J4W]5-A318522-D64-E-4-E5-F-AE1-B-5-CA2-FCA79[/url]

• Like 2

Are you going to correct the step at the wing tips and the dogtooth as well?

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 22:54, Pappy said:

Are you going to correct the step at the wing tips and the dogtooth as well?

Pappy

I initially used the underwing from sprue I, then I looked and the parts from sprue B a better fit. Sprue B was from the sea harrier variant so has lashing rings on the outer wheel bays, but I won’t tell anyone if you won’t.

On 15/04/2022 at 00:24, exdraken said:

Nice and interesting work!

:thumbsup:

cheers exdraken,

she’s coming along.

today I got the main landing gear built and put the wings on. The fit of the wings needed a slight bit of fettling and looks good.

007-C65-F7-16-ED-42-E3-AAC3-D4-BE75-A47-

0-AD2779-F-B7-A6-4-A21-9-F25-7765-F20639

316-C0-AFF-4009-4-D31-B59-E-F70087-CA684

• Like 6

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks great already!!

Are you going to arm her appropriately?

Rocket pods for the South Atlantic are a bit complicated to come by if I remember correctly...

cheers,

there are rockets in the kit, I’m going for Laser guided bombs. They weren’t used extensively in the conflict, as they were fairly new to the UK either due to forward air controllers being in the wrong place or the batteries in the ground designator’s being low. Having read various bits there were 3 or 4 missions using them.

• Like 1