Greetings from Finland

kapteenipirk

Hello to all you wonderful folk.

Im a 25 year old guy from Finland. Been doing models of all sorts for about 18 to 19 years actively...or semi obsessively to be more accurate.

Like no joke, i think the amount of models ive done im my entire career, would have to be in the low hundreds...tough it's pretty safe to say, younger me liked to "get er done" to sort of speak. So majority of that work was pretty lazy.

It's only in recent years that i made a promise to myself to stop doing that, and paint all the models i make.

For some reason, from the beginning i have insisted on doing/learning everything myself, so i haven't watched/read any tutorials/guides relating to modelling during all this time.

You can probably imagine improvement's have been a little slow, but it's getting there.

Part of this, doing it all by myself ethos also means my tools have been, and still are pretty basic.

I know i could expand on that front, but i have decided to stick with the basic tools i have and try and create the best possible results with them.

The types of models i like to do range from WWI all the way to present day and from the army, to the air-force and navy. My main focus being WWII German stuff in 1/72 and 1/35 scales, as well as 1/700 warships and 1/72 war-birds of different sizes and nations. But there's plenty of other stuff as-well.

Also the types of modelling i do vary, my main focus is traditional model-kits, as-well as 3D-papercrafts and 3D-modelled/printed ones.

In case you are wondering what some of my first modelling experiences where, well... i still have them hanging around as sort of prized family heirlooms.

My first touch with this hobby was when my dad and big-brother built this Revell/Monogram 1/48 Catalina

NTGCM7q.jpg

I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old when that happened. Needless to say, when it was complete, i was definitely the most exited person in the room.

I wanted the Catalina for my own as a toy for years after that. When i finally got it, i pretty-much immediately handled it with silk-gloves.

The model became so important to me, that when the opportunity arose, i picked up and built my own Revell/Monogram 1/48 Catalina, the search and rescue version this time.

cg9vLQy.jpg

9wcAzSU.jpg

Some time after that i got my first model ever, it was going to be built by my mom however.

kx5H1Jz.jpg

Ive also done a little homage to this particural model, but ill show that on a dedicated post.

And then there is the first model i ever built myself, with decals added by my dad.

lxVfZeZ.jpg

The Revell 1/144 Foxhound. My dad bought it for me one day with some glue to put it together and basically said to me "here's a hobby im sure you'll enjoy". And yea, boy have i loved it.

I plan on one day getting the Revell 1/72 Foxhound to pay homage to this model as-well.

As you can imagine, there have been a more than a few comments from my parents about the barely organized and cluttered mess that was my room.

The barely organized chaos definitely still continues, the difference is im living on my own now, so no need to worry about complaints.

As for why i joined the these forums and why now.

I have shown of some of my modelling work to people in the KSP (Kerbal space program) forums, and got some lovely feedback, but let's just say it wasn't really the right place, and there's the fact i sort of just...vanished from there about 3 years ago...whoops..

So, i taught id finally bring this stuff to where it belongs, especially now when i finally feel like my work is worth something.

And this is the forum i always check first when i want to see reviews of kits i might buy, so im sort of familiar with this place already.

Im definitely exited to see what you folks think of my work.

Oh, and word of warning, there is a chance this could go like it did for me on the KSP forums, where at some point my motivation just dies completely... so if i just sort of vanish... 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

so if i just sort of vanish... 

Where's he gone? :shrug:

:welcome: to the forums.  Hopefully, the bunch of misfits that inhabit this here forum will help with your motivation.  I started back to the hobby on a whim because I wanted a larger scale model of a Mosquito, ooh! and an A-10, oh! and so on, ad infinitum.  What can you do? :D

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Greetings from way, way off to your west, and welcome to the forum!

Chris

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Where's he gone? :shrug:

:welcome: to the forums.  Hopefully, the bunch of misfits that inhabit this here forum will help with your motivation.  I started back to the hobby on a whim because I wanted a larger scale model of a Mosquito, ooh! and an A-10, oh! and so on, ad infinitum.  What can you do? :D

Probably buried under a mountain of modelling projects :frantic:

Thanks. Im sure i'll find plenty of like-minded individuals and interesting conversations to keep me hooked.

You get me talking about WWII or aerospace history, especially when im visiting a museum...well...

lXMHgrj.png

Mmm, A large scale A-10, that would be lovely. Was about to make a papermodel of one, but went with an papercraft 1/35 SU-27 Flanker instead. If only they didn't take up so much room...

I'll probably continue building models till i kick the bucket, it's just the "documentation" side of the build that bores the pants out of me, but oh well, gotta at-least try.

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Terve and  … :post1: from across the Atlantic in the city of Chicago USA. Im mostly into military aircraft myself and I do like your builds. 

Dennis

Lämpimät terveiset sinnekin. Thanks.

Well, you'll be happy to know i have plenty of those ready to show and on the pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

I'll probably continue building models till i kick the bucket, it's just the "documentation" side of the build that bores the pants out of me, but oh well, gotta at-least try.

Fully documented builds aren't mandatory, fortunately, so if you feel more comfortable with just the RFI post for the finished article, that's fine too.

Is there a CPP Potkustartti in the future? :P

54 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Fully documented builds aren't mandatory, fortunately, so if you feel more comfortable with just the RFI post for the finished article, that's fine too.

Is there a CPP Potkustartti in the future? :P

Thankfully...:phew: But don't worry, im sure once i get in to the groove of things, there's going to be plenty of fully documented builds as-well ;). It's just chaos right now as there's so much to show and so much on the works :wacko:.

Well, i certainly have the tools and know-how to do it... we shall see... (should really watch that movie again)

• Like 1

Gidday @kapteenipirk, welcome aboard. As said above, it's not mandatory to document your builds in progress but the advantage of doing so is the transfer of ideas between members. I learned of an idea about removable gun turrets on ships simply by seeing a model that had a turret fitted, then removed for the next photo.

Regards and welcome again, Jeff.

20 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @kapteenipirk, welcome aboard. As said above, it's not mandatory to document your builds in progress but the advantage of doing so is the transfer of ideas between members. I learned of an idea about removable gun turrets on ships simply by seeing a model that had a turret fitted, then removed for the next photo.

Regards and welcome again, Jeff.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Just noticed this. Welcome, here is never too many northern modellers.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

A welcome from me too!!!

Martin

Cheers.

And thank you to everyone for the warm welcome... just warms the heart :heart:.

It's also nice to finally feel like there is a purpose of some-kind to all this.

One of the things i was hoping to happen, and which has already happened, is i have started to pay a little more attention to the end product and have started to think of ways to improve the quality of my models. When it was just me endlessly staring at my collection :blink:, there wasn't too much of an incentive to improve.

This was exactly the shot in the arm i needed.

5 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Cheers.

And thank you to everyone for the warm welcome... just warms the heart :heart:.

It's also nice to finally feel like there is a purpose of some-kind to all this.

One of the things i was hoping to happen, and which has already happened, is i have started to pay a little more attention to the end product and have started to think of ways to improve the quality of my models. When it was just me endlessly staring at my collection :blink:, there wasn't too much of an incentive to improve.

This was exactly the shot in the arm i needed.

And I am certain that you will find the inspiration nd encouragement that you are seeking right here on BM :)

19 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

And I am certain that you will find the inspiration nd encouragement that you are seeking right here on BM :)

That's for sure ;).

Let's just hope i don't get so inspired i end up living under model boxes, cause someone bought too many Spitfires :whistle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

"You can never have too many spitfires!" (H. Dowding) 😉

Not related to Captain Kaarlonen by any chance? 😂

True... until you run out of pilots to fly them :pilot:

Nah.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story !

I will also look forward to hearing about (in short or long form) your future ventures :) 

Cheers

7 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie :welcome: hope you enjoy your time here. 

Regards Matt

Cheers.

Definitely already enjoying it here. Just need to remember to pace myself and make sure my documentation and builds go more or less hand in hand.

• Like 1