Falklands War 40th Anniversary GB - Welcome and Rules

Welcome to the Falklands War 40th Anniversary GB.

The groupbuild will run from Saturday 2nd April to midnight UK time on Sunday 24 July 2022.  I will be your host.

The groupbuild is open to any subjects which operated in the South Atlantic area during the conflict.  This includes the Falkland Islands themselves, South Georgia and the Argentinian mainland.  The timescale runs from 2 April till the end of 1982. This will allow subjects from the post-war reinforcements to be modelled.

Also eligible are support elements such as those based at Wideawake airfirld and on the Argentinian mainland.  Although the Argentinian navy ships played little part in the hostilities, they were always a threat and gave the British forces concern so they should be eligible.

Any civilian equipment used in the area is also eligible.

If you are not certain about the eligibility of your build, please post a question in the chat thread.

All the usual GB rules apply here. 

• All builds should be less than 25% complete at the start of the GB.  If you are not sure about this, please post a question in the chat thread.
  • All entries should have their own build thread to document the build.  Similar subjects may be combined into a single build thread but each subject should have its own entry in the gallery.
  • No buying and selling in the GB area please. 

It should be noted that this GB is intended as a respectful remembrance of the conflict forty years ago.  It seems that the subject can still evoke some strong opinions even four decades later so let me respectfully remind everyone that Britmodeller is an apolitical forum.

And finally, the most important rule.   You must have fun in this groupbuild.  It's The Law!  :D  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Welcome to the Falklands War 40th Anniversary GB.

It should be noted that this GB is intended as a respectful remembrance of the conflict forty years ago.  It seems that the subject can still evoke some strong opinions even four decades later so let me respectfully remind everyone that Britmodeller is an apolitical forum.

Thanks Enzo,

After historic and sadly recent activity on the forum in regards to this, it disappointingly needs reinforcing.

Any disrespectful, jingoistic, antagonistic or just plain rude performances on here surrounding the politics and feelings surrounding the conflict will not be tolerated.  

To confirm the interest the MOD team will take in this:

One of the reviewers here is a Falklands Veteran.

There are veterans on both sides as users and members here.

My father is also a Falklands Veteran, he lost one of his best mates there. My Godfathers were there, my training staff were there, and lots of the people I grew up around were also there. In them I see pride and a lot of sadness. But also respect for the soldiers, sailors and airman on both sides, together with the families of the fallen. 

My father a few years back was on business in Argentina running a training course and actually ran into a few of the crew of the ship that tried very hard to kill him. Every time he returns there now, he meets up, they go fishing, eat really good Argentinian beef, drink a lot of wine and they have put it behind themselves. I now have a really nice Argentinian Puma's rugby jersey that they bought for, and sent to me when they found out that I was in Afghanistan. They call it the Malvinas, and its no more than their traditional name for it in their language. Just like Deutschland, Nederlands etc. It's just a name. You can still call it something else. 

I don't think that I or my colleagues will be doing anything similar with the people that we have fought with in recent conflicts. 

Leave the arguments with the politicians. Leave the unnecessary jingoistic claptrap off the board, and be like Rick Jolley, Julio Aro or Geoffrey Cardozo in the respect given and shown for both sides' wounded and dead. Because to be honest, they and their families are the ones that really matter. We are just making plastic kits...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4