Finished !!! 1/48 Revell Blackbird - SR-71

18 hours ago, Alan P said:

Excellent model! Glad it turned out so well and you seem to have no trouble with the landing gear 👍

Great to see it finished, and the interesting, black surface effect is really good :worthy:

Go here to see how I felt with the landing gear issue: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235105771-revell-148-blackbird-tips-tricks-upgrades-and-problems/

On 3/25/2022 at 3:25 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

Ya you are right, they were weathered quite a bit. Never thought of it that much, thought it was just the old photographs. I also never saw one in person. Is there a replacement to the weathering products used? Also why are the canopies a darker shade? Very nicely done.

There are a few items that I painted Black instead of Rubber Black. Those items include the engines' shock cones, the wings' moveable surfaces and the painted areas of the canopies. I did that to provide some visual interest.

1 hour ago, Johnny_K said:

There are a few items that I painted Black instead of Rubber Black. Those items include the engines' shock cones, the wings' moveable surfaces and the painted areas of the canopies. I did that to provide some visual interest.

I see, helps break up a monotone look I guess.

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I see, helps break up a monotone look I guess.

spacer.png

I do the same thing when I finish a plane in BMF. The variety of shades of aluminum makes for a more realistic appearance. Just a little goes a long way. Too many different shades makes for a checkerboard appearance.

• Thanks 1

Superb. You've got such an awesome look on that aircraft with that finish. I would've previously thought it'd be very difficult trying to make

an all over Black aircraft look that interesting but you've really nailed it. 

Here's the real thing fondly remembered at Mildenhall '82. Might have to secretly get one of these put away myself now. Excellent job.

spacer.png

Thanks everyone!

Black is a really difficult color for an aircraft. The panel lines are basically invisible when an aircraft is painted black. When we modelers paint an aircraft in a NMF, light grey of a WW II color we use a dark wash to highlight the panel lines. When an aircraft is painted black, a light wash is required to highlight the panel lines.

Absolute stunner Johnny !!

Thanks for the comparison pics with the F-86 and B-58 !!

Great idea !!

By the way, congratulations for the 3 kits Man !!

Now, I start looking for a Blackbird too....

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks everyone.

I am getting ready to start my next project. It will be a step-by-step tutorial on this forum explaining how to apply Bare Metal Foil to an aircraft model. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have 10 aircraft that have been finished in BMF. The P47 was my first BMF project. The B-29 is my favorite BMF model.

• Like 1