Finished !!! 1/48 Revell Blackbird - SR-71

I live in the U.S. I purchased my kit on ebay in January from an on-line hobby store in England called  Jumblies Models I paid $90.00 for the kit. I am not sure if this kit has been officially released in the U.S.

spacer.png

This is one big model. The kit is composed of 207 parts and it takes a while to build this puppy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wanted this aircraft model to look like a weathered Blackbird. The model was painted with Tamyia Rubber Black and weathered with Aqualine weathering products. My opinion is that Rubber Black is a closer match to the actual weathered aircraft color than straight black paint. 

spacer.png

After the Rubber Black paint dried, I coated the model with a couple coats of Model Master Gloss Clear as a base for the decals. I used Tamyia Mark Fit decal setting solution. The result was minimal silvering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After appling the decals I painted the model with Tamyia Clear Matt. The actual planes became very weathered, so I weathered the model with Aqualine weathering products to enhance the molded in details.  These products are water based and are easy to use. Unfortunately, they are no longer available.

spacer.png

Unlike previous Blackbird kits, this kit's landing gears and wheel wells have a nice amount of detail. 

spacer.png

I didn't like the appearance of the seats that were included in the kit, so I purchased seats from Aires. They look nice when the canopies are off, but when the canopies are installed the seats are barely visible (see photo above).

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Blackbird makes a nice companion to the B-58 Hustler which is finished in Bare Metal Foil. The engines on the Blackbird are quite impressive when compared to the engines on the Hustler.

This is a very well done kit with outstanding molded in details. It has some glitches, but all model kits do. The final result is an outstanding looking and unique model aircraft. I highly recommend this kit.

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

What a fabulous pair! Your SR-71 is superb....but the star for me is your B-58...my favourite plane of all time (see my avatar!)

Works of art!

21 minutes ago, t15dja said:

What a fabulous pair! Your SR-71 is superb....but the star for me is your B-58...my favourite plane of all time (see my avatar!)

Works of art!

The Blackbird looks like something from a different planet. The B-58 is a great looking airplane. I love the delta wing and the four large engines hanging from the wings. Then there is the huge bomb/fuel tank hanging from under the fuselage. 

Ya you are right, they were weathered quite a bit. Never thought of it that much, thought it was just the old photographs. I also never saw one in person. Is there a replacement to the weathering products used? Also why are the canopies a darker shade? Very nicely done.

Superb! You really captured the varied tones of the black finish better that I have seen before. :like:  Got to see and hear one fly at the Randolph AB airshow where I live back in the nineties...Incredibly loud! What they say about the skin panels being loose when cool is right; after shutdown and cooling off, fuel began leaking all over the place!! As soon as the Blackbird parked on the ramp, the ground crew placed large fans in front of the main wheels to cool them off. Spectators were not allowed close to the airplane until it had cooled down. (This one came to use direct from Beale AB, CA to San Antonio, TX- took less than 45 minutes to fly the 1,476 miles, as they piped the crew's radio transmissions into the airshow loudspeakers! from wheels up at Beale to wheels down at Randolph)

Mike

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Greatly appreciated.

Here is how I weathered the model

spacer.png

The Aqualine products are about as thick as Greek yogurt. I used three colors, rust, dry earth and mud. I dipped just the tip of a damp, wide, stiff paintbrush into the Aqualine weathering product and applied it to the model in a random manner. This looks like a giant mess.

spacer.png

Next I used the same damp brush and smeared around the weathering products.

spacer.png

Next I used a lightly damp paper towel and started to remove the excess weathering products by lightly rubbing the model's part. Aqualine is a water based product, so even when it is dry it can be removed by rubbing it with a damp paper towel.

spacer.png

I kept wiping off the weathering product until I was satisfied with the result. This model has a lot of molded-in panel lines. The weathering highlights those lines and adds a nice texture to the painted surfaces.

spacer.png

Prior to weathering those panel lines are pretty much invisible. 

Aqualine was made by a Russian company. It was distributed  via a website called Wilder.su. Wilder stopped selling Aqualine during the recent pandemic. Currently it is still no longer available. I have been looking for a replacement product, but so far no luck. I am open to suggestions.

Edited by Johnny_K
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

I am not sure if this kit has been officially released in the U.S.

The kit is available in the US as the Revell Germany edition. I understand there will be a Revell USA edition without the stand and engines. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Excellent model! Glad it turned out so well and you seem to have no trouble with the landing gear 👍

Great to see it finished, and the interesting, black surface effect is really good :worthy:

• Like 1