1:48 Airfix Hurricane MkI (naked)

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Bit late coming to this thread,

I did a "naked" hurricane myself a while back

Didn't get it quite right as the cockpit door should have been wood, not metal, @Troy Smith I think it was you that pointed this out to me? (I never did correct it...)

An interesting alternative to the usual paint finished jobs. Keep up the good work!

thanks Bigdave

I hope I get mine to look as good as yours and thanks for the pointer to the wooden door 👍

51 minutes ago, mick said:

great work, thanks for posting on the hurricane rebuild

thanks mick

I'm itching to get back to the bench and continue, I thought it prudent to "hide" her with 4 curious under 6 year olds running around and like DIY the most difficult part is getting all the required tools together rather than the "actual doing"

best rgds

John

• Like 1

51988635504_a6811918c1.jpg

So after a short break, the Grandkids have been sent back, I've had a lie down in a darkened room, and now that I'm "refreshed" I've finally had a chance to do some more work on the Hurricane.

Before I can finish the cockpit part of the build I need to add some pieces to the “underside” of the cockpit floor.

I think that this tank would have been silver however I decided to paint it black to just add a little interest.

52049856859_b04df75827_c.jpg

In a couple of reference photo’s I’ve seen show this pipe covered in asbestos? So I’ve painted it in an off-white, vellajo 70.918 ivory.

52048591457_23b7a68786_c.jpg

There are a some bulkheads and supports for the wheel wells that need to be added to the “inside” of the lower wing…

52048616437_bbf21d66d1_c.jpg

52049910154_a3b8d1884a_c.jpg

The cockpit and wing-spar sub-assembly was then glued to the lower wing.

52049754656_00417c11dc_c.jpg

52048696227_cfc1421455_c.jpg

@StevSmar suggested adding some copper colour to represent certain pieces, I agreed that this would be good so I’ve scratched a drain pipe?, and then painted it as if it was a copper tube, in “real life” it may well have been made from a different material but I think its reasonable that it could be made of copper?

Here’s reference photo I found…

52050376090_850bf92eb7_z.jpg

I made the pipe by bending some wire to shape and then paining with MrMetalColor copper…

52050376065_1a5796e528_c.jpg

…and then nailed in place.

52048823402_ea26373052_c.jpg

Next I’ll be looking to close the fuselage and attache the wing.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 11

7 hours ago, shortCummins said:

Here’s reference photo I found…

52050376090_850bf92eb7_z.jpg

Be aware that's a Mk.XII, ( or at least a Canadian radiator shape) and I know of one warbird in the US that had a water tank fitted to spray water into the radiator to cool it when ground running.  Note that this pipe seems to have an exit in the centre hole.... one for @StevSmar

as he's a nuts and bolts guy.

I'd need to dig out photos of the Finnish plane wheel wells, I don't recall it in those..

Does add some colour though ;) 

• Like 2

52048823382_96f716b4db.jpg

To “test” the fit of the wing/cockpit assembly into the fuselage I taped the fuselage halves together and did the same with the wings.

52055506937_a126ed2889_c.jpg

52057040895_61c9559c0e_c.jpg

I omitted, on @elger ’s advice 👍, the firewall bulkhead and the dry-fit of the wings and seat/armour plate* into the fuselage looks reasonable…

52056788954_6982b258fa_c.jpg

52056788899_e532bb437e_c.jpg

*The armoured plate behind the seat will be pushed back and fixed to the fuselage, the seat/armoured plate isn't fixed to the tubular frame allowing a little bit of movement.

Next I’ll be committing to fixing the fuselage and wings.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good John , great to see you back on this .   

Chris

thanks Chris

"baby-sitting" 4 Grandkids, the oldest is 6, the other 3 are 4 & 2, the 2 year old is the only girl and she rules the rest of 'em, kinda limits bench-time, however now I'm slowly remembering what I had planned to do next for the build, but I'm sure I'll have forgotten by the morning 😜 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 3

I'll admit I was a bit concerned when I read the title of the post; personally I'm always fully clothed when making models!😂🤣

Once I read the posts on it I was relieved and very interested in it, its a cracking job, amazing details and nice clean work! This will be excellent when complete; I have a Hurricane in my stash but havent built it yet, its only a 1/72 so there is a limit to the kind of detail you have put into this one! coming along rather nicely, looking forward to seeing it in its final form!😎

• Like 1

Hey John, I only just found this one, I must have missed the announcement on the BBC news.

The word naked got my attention anyway, Plus, it's a Hurricane, one of my favourites. 

And it seems to be bringing out the experts and rare reference pictures, Bonus!

I also love the idea of the unpainted finish, so bring it on, I'll pop by from time to time.

Regards, Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

thanks Chris

"baby-sitting" 4 Grandkids, the oldest is 6, the other 3 are 4 & 2, the 2 year old is the only girl and she rules the rest of 'em, kinda limits bench-time, however now I'm slowly remembering what I had planned to do next for the build, but I'm sure I'll have forgotten by the morning 😜 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

You need 'post it' notes! I do that for my builds so that I dont forget; because I WILL forget!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Markh-75 said:

You need 'post it' notes! I do that for my builds so that I dont forget; because I WILL forget!:lol:

Ha, yes, Post-Its have recently made an appearance in my build process, and for that exact reason.  Getting old is rubbish.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I'll admit I was a bit concerned when I read the title of the post; personally I'm always fully clothed when making models!😂🤣

Once I read the posts on it I was relieved and very interested in it, its a cracking job, amazing details and nice clean work! This will be excellent when complete; I have a Hurricane in my stash but havent built it yet, its only a 1/72 so there is a limit to the kind of detail you have put into this one! coming along rather nicely, looking forward to seeing it in its final form!😎

ha ha, I have to be carful with the hobby knife and pin-vice 😁
thanks for the kind words on the build, I've built a couple of "naked" aircraft before, a Mossie and more recently a Polikarpov I-16, and I like the idea of showing the materials that were used to build them

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hey John, I only just found this one, I must have missed the announcement on the BBC news.

The word naked got my attention anyway, Plus, it's a Hurricane, one of my favourites. 

And it seems to be bringing out the experts and rare reference pictures, Bonus!

I also love the idea of the unpainted finish, so bring it on, I'll pop by from time to time.

Regards, Pete

thanks Pete

reference photos are always welcome, you never know when they'll come in handy

I've some ideas for doing a couple of other "naked" builds, a Stearman Kaydet and a Mig-3, somehow I'll have to fit them in with all my other planed and started/stalled builds, I'll have to find the time from somewhere

14 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

funnily enough I used to have a note-book where I wrote my thoughts and "to-do" list, I know its been put somewhere safe but I'll be buggered if I can find it!

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Ha, yes, Post-Its have recently made an appearance in my build process, and for that exact reason.  Getting old is rubbish.

I agree getting old is rubbish however, its better than the alternative 😜

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

52055506907_fae9c7ac9f.jpg

So now that I’ve got a reasonable test fit I’ll commit to glueing everything together. First the fuselage halves.

52058753466_9aff55728c_c.jpg

Before joining the wing tops to the bottom I needed to add the wing landing lights. I’ve seen a number of photos that show these landing lights with “lamp supports”?, attached to the front of them, I assume that they could be angled?, and these supports enabled their movement?

52056503366_4a6680ed2f_w.jpg

Whatever the reason I wanted to add these and Brengun make some nice PE versions…

52056512683_e5f3a0e92e_z.jpg

…these were painted black, then glued, using VMS transpa fix 6k, onto the front of the lights…

52056798344_2e3dcb3410_c.jpg

52057127210_9a8a0e7e8a_c.jpg

…and then fixed into their recesses.

52058991059_459ed416fd_c.jpg

The top(s) of the wings were then attached to the bottom…

52059122539_6802f9d17c_c.jpg

I’d hummed and harred about leaving the landing lights until later in the build, I’m glad I opted to add them now as I think the fit would have been difficult if left until after the wing halves were together?

52058884666_b848ae31fa_c.jpg

I had planned on joining the wings to the fuselage at this point however I’ve decided to add some rivet detail to the wings and it will be easier to do this before so next I’ll be adding some rivet detail.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

18 hours ago, shortCummins said:

Before joining the wing tops to the bottom I needed to add the wing landing lights. I’ve seen a number of photos that show these landing lights with “lamp supports”?, attached to the front of them, I assume that they could be angled?, and these supports enabled their movement?

A very visible detail John and I've see @bigbadbadge use the Brengun components to great effect. Coming along nicely,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

20 hours ago, elger said:

love those landing lights!

thanks elger

following on from a previous point I'd used them when I built my Aussie Beaufighter, I've now got a serious "itch" to build another one, love the Beau'

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Great work, John :)

James

thanks James

I've decided that I'm not a "fan" of Airfix, sacrilege I know, I really don't like their soft plastic, having said that they've some of the best kits for some of their subjects, if Eduard ever decides to produce a 1:48 Hurricane I'll be at the front of the queue 

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

A very visible detail John and I've see @bigbadbadge use the Brengun components to great effect. Coming along nicely,

Cheers,

Roger

thanks Roger

I had to re-order these Brengun PE lamp supports as I managed to put my previous set "in a safe place" I know they'll turn up eventually probably once I pack away this build when its finished, they didn't reappear when the "new" set arrived which is what normally happens to me.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 2

52057860767_f23b7f6b67.jpg

So I decided to add the rivet detail to the wing before attaching them to the fuselage as their slightly easier to handle.

Firstly I roughly marked the rivet lines with a pencil…

52058026417_bf3336f13e_c.jpg

52058026412_4af126affa_c.jpg

…and then used my “Rosie the Riveter” tool to add the rivets.

52059196388_2d99913d81_c.jpg

52059399324_e1fd63da11_c.jpg

The pencil marks were cleaned off with a couple of isopropyl wipes and then I fixed the wing to the fuselage.

52059648030_380034c986_c.jpg

52059162591_ebba9e8978_c.jpg

52060142897_516d7ef296_c.jpg

52061186661_c4bbb16d28_c.jpg

The seat & armour plate were “pushed” back against the airframe and fixed in place.

52061213178_1f5e9355fc_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding the remaining fuselage parts and preparing for paint.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 12

That's looking really good, John, the added rivets especially.

I'm somewhat on the fence about Airfix at the moment. I've had an absolute nightmare with the AC-130, but it's a nearly 50 year old tooling. I'm also having a bit of a time with the He-111, which is one of the newer toolings. I can't work out if the fitment issues are down to Airfix trying to be too clever, me being ham-fisted with assembly, or a bit of both. Either way, it's proving to be more of a trial than I'd hoped. Still much rather work on that than the AC-130 though

James

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's looking really good, John, the added rivets especially.

I'm somewhat on the fence about Airfix at the moment. I've had an absolute nightmare with the AC-130, but it's a nearly 50 year old tooling. I'm also having a bit of a time with the He-111, which is one of the newer toolings. I can't work out if the fitment issues are down to Airfix trying to be too clever, me being ham-fisted with assembly, or a bit of both. Either way, it's proving to be more of a trial than I'd hoped. Still much rather work on that than the AC-130 though

James

I don't think its you James, from the advice I've been given about fitting the cockpit on this build you can see that its not as strait forward as it could/should be, having said that the detail is really very good, its just a shame that 90% of it won't be seen

rgds

John(shortCummins)

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking splendid John, great job fella.  Love those landing lights. They're very useful.  Going to have to order another set myself soon.

Chris

thanks Chris

they do make all the difference don't they, I know it sounds daft but seeing these landing lights really has got me thinking about building another Beaufighter

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

52061417194_190fab8b47.jpg

The final lower fuselage pieces were nailed on…

52060362137_c702241cff_c.jpg

52060362122_7493321dbb_c.jpg

To make my life a little easier for masking and painting I’ve decided to keep the horizontal stabilises, rudder, elevators and flaps separate.

52061430968_0861f59b8d_c.jpg

52061430958_7d58776434_c.jpg

52060362092_58d01d1f92_c.jpg

52061430933_19e848dfb4_c.jpg

Both the wheel wells and cockpit were masked in preparation for paint

52064079670_61d1b983d0_c.jpg

52062550082_a420bf5afc_c.jpg

Next I’ll be applying some primer.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5