1:48 Airfix Hurricane MkI (naked)

Nice!! 

Apart from producing a great looking decor for the Hurricane, this painting regime is really showing off the quality of the kit in all its surface details and panelling. 

Who knew there were so many different aluminiums....?! 😎

Well, you did obviously 😁 But Wow, it's really paying off here. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks good John , I liked it the first time !!!

Great work fella.

Chris

thanks Chris

the finish wasn't quite what I was after, live and learn, the more I use these Extreme metal colours the more I like them.

11 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

She's coming on very nicely indeed, John.  I like the use of several different aluminium shades a lot.

thanks jackroadkill

"normally" I'd be "weathering" the airframe however in this instance I won't be adding any dirt or grime so I'm hoping the variations in metal colour give some visual interest.

11 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I'm really enjoying this build - it's a great concept and your execution of your plan is a pleasure to watch.👍

thanks Back in the Saddle

hopefully showing, more or less, each step will prove that anyone can achieve "interesting" results in a simple and straightforward manner, with a little practice we all can get better in the hobby. 

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Nice!! 

Apart from producing a great looking decor for the Hurricane, this painting regime is really showing off the quality of the kit in all its surface details and panelling. 

Who knew there were so many different aluminiums....?! 😎

Well, you did obviously 😁 But Wow, it's really paying off here. 

thanks Rob

Airfix has come a very long way from where they were when I was a kid, I'm still not a fan of the soft plastic they use but the engineering and fit of this kit is very good, care needs to be taken for the cockpit sub-assembly but that is true for any kit.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

Just catching up with this and I'm really impressed with the work, John. The different shades of metallic really break it up nicely.

I took a trip to Duxford yesterday, and a couple of bits there made me think of you. Firstly, the restoration shed (all those brazenly naked airframes), and secondly, the blue & yellow Kaydet hanging from the roof of the US hanger.

James

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Just catching up with this and I'm really impressed with the work, John. The different shades of metallic really break it up nicely.

I took a trip to Duxford yesterday, and a couple of bits there made me think of you. Firstly, the restoration shed (all those brazenly naked airframes), and secondly, the blue & yellow Kaydet hanging from the roof of the US hanger.

James

thanks James

I haven't been to Duxford for far too long, I must put that right soon, love the place

rgds

John(shortCummins)

I'd thoroughly recommend paying the extra for the Lancaster talk, that was really interesting and they give you an opportunity to go inside the aircraft as well. Sadly only just inside the rear section as they (understandably) need to preserve the airframe, but you can actually see a fair bit. Particularly poignant as my visit coincided with the 80th anniversary of the Dams raid, even if that was just luck. Most of the Spitfires from the recent exhibition are still on site as well, though not all together as they were for that.

James

• Like 1

Some lovely paintwork on display there John - simple but very effective!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Don’t want to gloat ( actually I suppose I do ) but the last time I went to Duxford was four years ago almost to the day  to fly in, and fly, a Spitfire courtesy of SWMBO. I can still remember every detail.

John

🇺🇦

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'd thoroughly recommend paying the extra for the Lancaster talk, that was really interesting and they give you an opportunity to go inside the aircraft as well. Sadly only just inside the rear section as they (understandably) need to preserve the airframe, but you can actually see a fair bit. Particularly poignant as my visit coincided with the 80th anniversary of the Dams raid, even if that was just luck. Most of the Spitfires from the recent exhibition are still on site as well, though not all together as they were for that.

James

that sound like a really good idea, my step-father was a flight engineer on Lancasters during the war, all he would say about it was that it was the most boring, exciting and terrifying period of his life, unfortunately he's not around to ask the questions that I now have, as an adult, about his service, as a child I really didn't appreciate what he went through.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Some lovely paintwork on display there John - simple but very effective!

Cheers,

Roger

thanks Roger

I good at simple 😜 its when I try to be cleaver that I trip myself up

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Don’t want to gloat ( actually I suppose I do ) but the last time I went to Duxford was four years ago almost to the day  to fly in, and fly, a Spitfire courtesy of SWMBO. I can still remember every detail.

John

🇺🇦

I've very envious, my wife Brough me a trip in Dragon Rapide, my favourite aircraft, for my 50th, loved every minute

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 1

52077746741_194781b69e.jpg

Before removing the masking tape I decided that I wanted to add one last “metal” effect…

I wanted to add a (very) slightly tarnished effect to all of the aluminium panels, my idea is that this would “tie-in” the different colours?

To achieve this effect I used Xtreme Metal AK488 matte aluminium which was sprayed through a black-basing marble mask…

52080204280_8a128b6b2e_c.jpg

The effect is very subtile, probably too subtile to show in these photos however I think its achieved what I wanted “in real life”.

52080204275_4787df1406_c.jpg

52079720791_6b457f1e18_c.jpg

Once the Extreme metal paint had dried, I left it for approx. an hour, it “touch drys” really quickly but I didn’t want to handle it until it had had plenty of time to fully cure, I removed the mask for the linen and wood areas.

52079991033_f1b96bd0b7_c.jpg

52080215889_22c95eacbc_c.jpg

52078944577_0cb7fe1da0_c.jpg

52079983296_2155e93cc5_c.jpg

Looking at the wood areas it looks as if I’d missed some of the rear of the doghouse, I’m basing this on detail from the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual…

52078701937_7f4b255384_w.jpg

…so I increase/corrected these plywood panels by masking and then spraying some more MRP-259 pale wood…

52080467340_22f456ae07_c.jpg

…followed by some pre-shading of MRP-275 6K Russian brown

52078944522_faf8052f10_c.jpg

52080215824_74f0e0dc50_c.jpg

Next I’ll be applying the wood decals.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

that sound like a really good idea, my step-father was a flight engineer on Lancasters during the war, all he would say about it was that it was the most boring, exciting and terrifying period of his life, unfortunately he's not around to ask the questions that I now have, as an adult, about his service, as a child I really didn't appreciate what he went through.

I've certainly got a fresh appreciation of the bravery of those young men now. Especially so after being inside and realising how insubstantial the construction is for such a large machine.

• Like 1

More nice work on the plane as well, John. You're right about the subtlety of the tarnishing effect not showing up as well on the pics (it does a bit), but I think it’s worth the effort even from what I can see there. Roll on the wooden decals!

Had you thought about a "family" shot of all your naked builds when this one's done? I think that could be quite a nice display.

James

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

Had you thought about a "family" shot of all your naked builds when this one's done? I think that could be quite a nice display.

James

Sounds like a good idea to me too.

John

• Like 1

52080215784_2b91a692fc.jpg

I’m using Uschi van Der Rosten “super fine” woodgrain decals for the woodgrain. These decals have a transparent background, allowing the base colour and pre-shading to show?

52082475080_aa7f6ec6e5_c.jpg

I used some de-tacked Tamiya tape and traced the shape of each panel pattern…

52081998398_c354e170a0_c.jpg

You’ll notice that I used several bits of tape, “in theory” this should be fine however you have to be carful removing the pattern because if the tape(s) separate then you’ll need to start again.

…these shapes were then transferred to the decal sheet…

52080948102_6c596b494b_c.jpg

…and the pattern cut out.

52082475060_f1e6b5c9bd_c.jpg

All the decal wood patterns.

52081998378_f6f54612df_c.jpg

These were then applied to the pale wood colour.

52080984497_dde62ea69f_c.jpg

52082034673_9af886645e_c.jpg

Overall I’m happy with how these turned out, “next time” I use them I’ll use a lighter shade for the pre-shading, the 6K brown is too dark, in my opinion it would be OK for a WWI aircraft.

Next I’ll be turning my attention to the exhaust stacks.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 9

52082018996_e5e2519943.jpg

The exhausts were given a coat of Stynylrez black primer…

52082265734_f744db88cb_c.jpg

…and then a coat of Xtreme metal AK 484 burnt metal

52082028486_dfe2400c4e_c.jpg

Both exhausts were then fixed to the cowl.

52082190493_6bdf8f32a7_c.jpg

52082665190_60f7d617ce_c.jpg

As I wasn’t happy with the chrome finish on the spinner I decided to try out the optional spinner supplied with the kit.

A base coat or MrColor GS2…

52082520065_952a128fb0_c.jpg

…followed by Xtreme AK-999 chrome

52082202193_12485f4bf1_c.jpg

Here it is compared with the first effort.

52082420754_8f31ebfdda_c.jpg

I’ll decide on which to use later in the build.

Next I’ll be adding the remaining bits’n’bobs to the airframe.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 10

20 hours ago, elger said:

Love it!

thanks elger

16 hours ago, 81-er said:

I think the new spinner looks better in the photos. The wood also looks good too, nice work there :)

James

thanks James

the new spinner looks a bit spotty in the photo, it doesn't show "in real life" so I'll probably use it rather than the first one.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

52081150277_b5beb83362.jpg

While I was sorting out what pieces to add to the airframe first I noticed that a couple of pieces had been “splashed” with some black primer…

52082699789_cd6a2c50c7_c.jpg

…so I needed to “fix” them, first I resprayed the base colour of MRP-257 clear doped linen variant 1.

52084322204_545ec98c33_c.jpg

52084322199_fdf2a318e7_c.jpg

…once again the ribs were masked and MRP-258 clear doped linen variant 2 was used for the shadows.

52084144621_a80fed8303_c.jpg

52083113917_daf2ac4436_c.jpg

52084144611_059cb41cf6_c.jpg

52084389114_8228583e0c_c.jpg

Having repaired them the “metal” parts of the rudder, trim tabs and handles were brush pained with vallejo metal color 77.717 dull aluminium.

52084482789_21b4d5c4b5_c.jpg

52084238286_cce4d736e7_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding the revisiting the plywood doghouse.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 7

52084738040_147a1fa22b.jpg

As I was in “repair” mode I decided that I really couldn’t live with the 6K brown presiding on the plywood doghouse so I used some “new” Tamiya tape to start to lift the Uschi wood decals and removed them…

52084577590_823aa5fce2_c.jpg

The area around the doghouse was masked and a base of MRP-259 pale wood was reapplied.

52084577585_8990140896_c.jpg

To achieve a toned down pre-shading effect this time I used MRP-167 light earth.

52084144606_f88f0e3dcb_c.jpg

52084389104_093d87ed1c_c.jpg

After the woodgrain decals have been applied I want to pick out the door latches in aluminium so to prepare for this I painted them with some vallejo black, to make them easier to see once the woodgrain has dried.

52084262933_28ca2d6af3_c.jpg

Once again patterns were cut from the decal sheet and applied…

52084341676_3664ffc073_c.jpg

52084586304_080ffcc757_c.jpg

After the decals had dried, I left them for  couple of hours, the door latches were picked out with vallejo dull aluminium.

52083543747_c12431d934_c.jpg

I’m much happier with a more subtile pre-shade, perhaps the light earth is too subtile? I’m far happier with it than the 6K brown but maybe just a shade or two darker would have been better but its now far closer to what I had “in my head”.

Next I’ll be adding the remaining bits’n’bobs to the airframe.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 8

The second attempt at the 'dog house' is much more convincing, well done.

I'm looking to renew some of my acrylic paints and I see that you use MRP paints, how do you find them? It's virtually impossible to get anything from the UK at the moment so I'm looking for something 'local' especially Russian colours.

Stay safe 

John

PS: The AK burnt metal looks good, I'm using up the last of my Alclad pale burnt metal by brush painting it in several coats over a basic metallic finish for exhausts.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The second attempt at the 'dog house' is much more convincing, well done.

I'm looking to renew some of my acrylic paints and I see that you use MRP paints, how do you find them? It's virtually impossible to get anything from the UK at the moment so I'm looking for something 'local' especially Russian colours.

Stay safe 

John

PS: The AK burnt metal looks good, I'm using up the last of my Alclad pale burnt metal by brush painting it in several coats over a basic metallic finish for exhausts.

🇺🇦

thanks John

the MRP paints are lacquer based and I really like them however if your looking for acrylic's I would recommend Akan, they have a really good range of Russian colours...

https://hpns.eu/shop/paints/akan-six-packs/acrylic

Mike did a review (some time ago)...

I'm sure they'd have a distributer in France? I used to get them from someone in Greece, but I think they went out of business during the pandemic?

for me they're as good as Tamiya or Mr Color, with the bonus of being able to be used in both an airbrush and/or hairy stick

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

John,

Crikey - a good save on both counts! For what it's worth I think the doghouse is an improvement on the original and well worth the effort,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

John,

Crikey - a good save on both counts! For what it's worth I think the doghouse is an improvement on the original and well worth the effort,

Cheers,

Roger

thanks Roger

if I was doing a "war weary" WWI aircraft then the darker shading would be OK but as, for once, I'm trying for a more subtile effect then is was a bit too much, in truth I'd be happier with a slightly darker shade than the light earth, at some point I'll make some "test" pieces to find out what colour is best, I should really have done that before this build but never mind, something to do when I'm waiting for some paint to dry or sprue-goo to cure.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1