"Double Hun": F-100F Misty FAC Italeri 1/72eme

Hello Everybody!

This the last HUN of my series, the Italeri F-100F. From the experience of the Revell/Esci builds, this one went smoother but I applied the same amount of modifications to it. The challenge was to detail the large vacform canopy from inside. I add the same resin and PE aftermarket pieces as for the single seaters also.

I wanted first to choose a NMF aircraft for the colors & markings but I found on Internet a series of pictures taken of an F-100F Misty FAC being refueled over the Mekong river that immediately captured my attention. So I decided to do that one because of the "war weary" aspect of that particular bird: a  partially painted stabilizer, the other one painted not matching the SEA standards and above all the general tired aspect of the SEA camouflage: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Luckily I found the right side of the bird but the photo was of poor quality. 

Here is the result at the 1/72eme scale: I tried to stick as much as I could to the real thing. The ladder and "willy pete" rocket pods are scratch built.  
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and, of course the little dio: the bomb loader is from an Hasegawa set but modified and, exception to my rule, I added two pilots (painting little men is NOT MY CUP OF TEA!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Voila, this build was good occasion for me to discover the frightening world of the Misty FAC courageous pilots, I hotly recommend the book "bury us upside down" (Rick Newman & Don Sheppred) for those who are interested in this subject and more generally in the Vietnam Air War...

Hope you will enjoy this "Double Hun", comments and critics most welcomed! 

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Excellent from A to Z! I am glad you have chosen this sceme. Surely a NMF Hun looks fine, but this one looks finer for me . That really looks like a worn warbird, especially with this special elevator on the right side. The hot section with the burnt color is perfect! 
A masterpiece!

Andy 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LanceR21 said:

Fantastic! Was canopy one-piece or You had to cut it?

Thank you! The canopy was vacformed in one piece first, carefully cut between the windshield and the main part after. All inner details came from a photo taken at the USAF Museum where the bird is displayed and from other various sources. 

I just fell off my bar stool!! this is not just a diorama--it's bloomin' triumph!! Beautiful scheme and weathering. The diorama even makes sense--no needless figures--all seek to tell a story. Thank you!! This is special!  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I just fell off my bar stool!! this is not just a diorama--it's bloomin' triumph!! Beautiful scheme and weathering. The diorama even makes sense--no needless figures--all seek to tell a story. Thank you!! This is special!  

Whaou this is too much! I am happy that you like it and your kind comments reward all the efforts I spent in this build. Thanks again!

7 hours ago, mike kippenhan said:

Patrick,

Nice build and great subject. My father was a Misty whose "story" can be found in Bury us Upside Down (great book).

From everything my father told me, the Hun was quite the plane.

Hello Mike! Thank you for your comment, I read this book with great interest, stories inside are breathtaking and show how hard the Misty pilot life was...

I hope I paid a nice tribute to your father with my build!