M4A3 US 761st Tank Battalion The Black Panthers

Some paint has been flung.  In a fit of laziness I used a rattle can of Tamiya AS-6 USAAF Olive Drab over my usual primer of Army Painter Leather Brown, also rattle can.  It turns out to be almost identical to Hataka's Late US OD A018, useful for touch-up.  The colour of US OD No9 changed in 1944 and became noticeably greener.  As I understand it from an explanation elsewhere, the pigmentation remained the same but the type of paint changed and a satin finish was adopted rather than flat matt.  This made it look greener.  I painted the disc wheels and some of the stowed cans and helmets in the older browner shade for variety.

The black is Humbrol's RC401 Dirty Black from their railway colours, brushed on.  Just one coat at the moment: I can see some areas for touch-up.  Lacking any better references I copied the pattern as closely as I could from the Star Decals sheet for the markings.  The white stars - or at least their positions - were painted out first, also with the older OD.  Some artistic licence here, but this was commonly done.  My story is that the stars were painted out first and the camouflage applied later.  Gives a bit of variety.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Managing to get some more done in between work, overtime and domesticity.  Time is now pressing as we're past half way in the GB.  Well into the Fiddling and Faffing stage now.

I think I've done all the basic detail painting so now it will be on to decals and finishing - and track building.  The eagle-eyed might notice that I chickened out of painting the crockery and bottles buried in the stowage blob and covered it over with another anonymous canvas. 

The dish roadwheels were a pain to paint as the rims are very poorly defined.  If I use them again I'll re-scribe the dividing line and sand them down to a more defined flat edge which the kit parts don't really show.  Or use some resin alternatives.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

You really have made impressive progress with your build. The paintwork, detailing and stowage items are all going to really bring thus to life! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

I think I'm calling this one "done" apart from the tracks and a bit of lower weathering after that.  And an antenna.  Unfortunately despite copious Micro Set some of the decals have silvered slightly and their edges are visible.  Which is a shame.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Got to agree with Dennis. That does look great! Your paintwork, stowage and finishing all look very impressive. Annoying about the decals but they don't detract from the overall appearance. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

In my limited experience in the hobby, i have realised that a good coat of varnish can get rid of silvering and helps to hid the edges. Also your stowage looks a bit shiney, so whats to lose.

George

An outstanding build of an excellent subject! :worthy:

FWIW, I asked Star Decals about 1/48 versions of these markings, they indicated it was possible.