Tamiya 1/350 HMS King George V – Early 1942

This is fantastic, a real inspiration and education. It almost makes me ashamed to post my own KGV class build.

Thankyou for so clearly explaining the techniques you've used, I'm definitely going to have a go at some of them.

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2022 at 10:10, robgizlu said:

Hi Peter - just read this thread through from start - what a pleasure!  Some superb modelling here:clap2:

As to the object in the picture:

?  https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18194&cat=303&page=2

?  Target float

?  Hull painting pontoon

Not seen anything quite like it.

As to ships boats colours, Norman Ough depicts them in a variety of colours including the mother ship's hull colours, I believe the capatain's barge was painted dark blue hull - home waters and light blue Mediterranean

This is fabulous modelling - keep it coming

Rob

Hi Rob. Thank you for your very kind comments and advice.

I had assumed that the "object" was made of steel and was some sort of weight related to the catapult, however your ideas have got me thinking and it does look like it could be some sort of wooden float or pontoon 🤔. Whatever those things are though, they do appear to be included in the plans, so are presumably a permanent part of the ship's equipment. If I wasn't so cheap and actually bought a copy of the plans, I would probably find that the text next to them explains exactly what they are 😁

y4m1dw2tAWWpjTtMEoPrpEVR-4ISfHlNL1-WT5sK

© NMM (NPB5309)

I have made a couple of them but will hold off painting and installing them for now

y4miU2fbSkhBFcW12uSRa1FH4vlr656dgrABn2qM

As for the boat colours, I am leaning towards the ship's hull colour for most of them. I like the idea of doing a captain's barge in blue, although as a flagship, would she have had an admiral's barge, which I am sure I read somewhere should be green?

Thanks @TomTango for your comments, I am flattered that you are finding it useful and please let me know if you want me to explain anything in further detail. I am always interested to see other people's take on this model, and your other builds are really excellent, so please post it if you can.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by PeterMachin
  • Like 5

@PeterMachin Thankyou, I'll definitely be posting my build of Prince of Wales. 

I do have some questions/observations as well though! Sorry if any of this is derailing the build thread...

I was struck when looking through your thread at all the photos and research that KGV just looks "busier" than any photo's I can find of PoW. Of course PoW had no de-gaussing cables or flota's but still, things like bundles of timber, boats in "non plan" locations, objects like those float pontoons on the catapult deck - just don't seem to be there on PoW. Not sure why this is, maybe that there are less photo's PoW short career or something of the personality of the ship's masters coming through?

I have some questions related to your research as well. The Tamiya kits have the space between the Hangars as a solid wall, but I see you have a wide door there. Any idea where this leads to? 
And an outside question, I don't suppose in your research you came up with where ships of the class would take on fuel oil?
I ask because I'm doing her taking on supplies and fuel but currently I'm best guessing where this was done.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 19:41, TomTango said:

@PeterMachin Thankyou, I'll definitely be posting my build of Prince of Wales. 

I do have some questions/observations as well though! Sorry if any of this is derailing the build thread...

I was struck when looking through your thread at all the photos and research that KGV just looks "busier" than any photo's I can find of PoW. Of course PoW had no de-gaussing cables or flota's but still, things like bundles of timber, boats in "non plan" locations, objects like those float pontoons on the catapult deck - just don't seem to be there on PoW. Not sure why this is, maybe that there are less photo's PoW short career or something of the personality of the ship's masters coming through?

I have some questions related to your research as well. The Tamiya kits have the space between the Hangars as a solid wall, but I see you have a wide door there. Any idea where this leads to? 
And an outside question, I don't suppose in your research you came up with where ships of the class would take on fuel oil?
I ask because I'm doing her taking on supplies and fuel but currently I'm best guessing where this was done.

@TomTango I look forward to seeing your thread.

I have no problem using this thread for research type stuff. You are right about the KGV seeming to be "busier". Some of that will be down to when photos were taken, for example photos of a VIP visit will show the ship much tidier than photos then the ship is in dock or taking on stores. Also, I suspect that as the design of the ship evolved, better places were found to store equipment, or items were found to be redundant and not needed at all.

It looks like one of the biggest difference is the lack of Carley floats mounted on the vertical surfaces of the superstructures. Looking at photos of POW, they tended to be stacked up on the deck. I would suspect this was a decision by the designers or builders, rather than the crew.

y4mxWPO3cmOk1DUEY45VeVd_tktWLlHrL0xUO-kl

© IWM (A 3872)

y4m3Z54YYhnu2bxkcMvjd3OAgjgOzC0H06FJX8og

© IWM (A 4957)

I have spent a lot of time looking through the IWM archive as that seems to be the most reliable source of photos of the ships, which are mostly properly organised and referenced. In addition to 500 or so photos of KGV, I also found quite a few of the sister ships, including POW. These are ID numbers of the pictures of the POW that I found, though I am sure there are more

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections

A3867 to A3881, A3890 to A3927, A4232, A4233, A4954 to A4959, A4977 to A4992

The space between the hangars is where the catapult controls were

y4mgMpzpTH4OmGpwqPV_Yeph0c7eJ1cYP7kiGDIR

© IWM (A 3631)

y4mz9kXtKyXDkfNNfroFg5N4brAW05TvL-iEOQvY

© IWM (A 3451)

On the plans there looks to be a small room behind this, then the exhaust going up to the funnel. There could have been an alternative entrance to the hangars, but I am not sure

y4mx3ZNbpuj0xEaVP5F1bzW9ukCXSVb1v1PN-LfB

© NMM (NPB5309)

With regards to refuelling, I am not sure about that, but I have just found a picture on this website http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/Lawson.html (around 2/3rds of the way down) of the KGV apparently refuelling a smaller ship. The hose is connected somewhere on the catapult deck.

Hope there was something useful there 😁

Cheers

Peter

Edited by PeterMachin
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

The details going into this are great, I hope I can get mine even somewhere near! I have a picture of the mystery object on board  Prince of Wales, ok to post? 

Thank you. Yeah of course, it would be good to see what you have

@Rich75 That's a brilliant photo! It shows almost exactly the activity I am planning on depicting with what looks like stores being handled on the catapult deck.

It seemed like the most practical place on deck to be doing this, but this is the first evidence I've seen of it actually being done. It also show the variety in uniform that was worn very well, though I am curious who the officer in white(?) is when everyone else is in blues.

One other question I have is was there a RM contingent on board? I've read it was practice to carry a small number of marines on capital ships but I've never seen photos of any on board (I'm assuming they'd be in khakis and not navy blues of course).

1 hour ago, PeterMachin said:

I have spent a lot of time looking through the IWM archive as that seems to be the most reliable source of photos of the ships, which are mostly properly organised and referenced. In addition to 500 or so photos of KGV, I also found quite a few of the sister ships, including POW. These are ID numbers of the pictures of the POW that I found, though I am sure there are more

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections

A3867 to A3881, A3890 to A3927, A4232, A4233, A4954 to A4959, A4977 to A4992

thankyou so much for those links, that will give a lot to go through tomorrow. The more I start digging the more surprised I am how much is incorrect or missing from the kit.

I've had a go at cutting in hull panels on a spare bit of hull, not having much success so far with only yellow Tamiya tape. I've got some Tamiya blue "masking tape for curves" coming though. Will that be more suitable do you think?

12 hours ago, Rich75 said:

OK no problem 

ON BOARD THE BATTLESHIP HMS PRINCE OF WALES. 1941.

I did click the usage agreement don't know why it hasn't come out? If you need me to I'll remove the picture, 

@Rich75 Thanks for posting that picture. I think it is ok if you just put the copyright info from the image properties below the picture, in this case it would be © IWM (A 4233).

That looks like a Balsa Raft in that picture - 

https://ontheslipway.com/balsa-raft/

https://micromaster.co.nz/collections/royal-navy-ships-boats/products/1-350-royal-navy-10ft-working-dinghy-balsa-rafts-x4#sidr

On KGV, I believe that was here:

y4mAe_w5byW0YQkj9EE1ZHa_hNS7sxk4hPnx-Qvn

© IWM (A 4716)

y4muiby7tK4oVwtRflm6fhegWwMG2EgXxaB-sNeg

© NMM (NPB5315)

12 hours ago, TomTango said:

thankyou so much for those links, that will give a lot to go through tomorrow. The more I start digging the more surprised I am how much is incorrect or missing from the kit.

I've had a go at cutting in hull panels on a spare bit of hull, not having much success so far with only yellow Tamiya tape. I've got some Tamiya blue "masking tape for curves" coming though. Will that be more suitable do you think?

For the hull plating, I used embossing label tape, which is quite a hard plastic and quite thick, so it gives a good edge for the tool to run along. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airmall-Compatible-Replacement-Embossing-Self-Adhesive/dp/B09JNVBLVF/ref=sr_1_10?crid=H4JVHXG6T807&keywords=dymo+tape&qid=1658660220&sprefix=dymo+tape%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-10

Cheers

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TomTango said:

@Rich75 That's a brilliant photo! It shows almost exactly the activity I am planning on depicting with what looks like stores being handled on the catapult deck.

It seemed like the most practical place on deck to be doing this, but this is the first evidence I've seen of it actually being done. It also show the variety in uniform that was worn very well, though I am curious who the officer in white(?) is when everyone else is in blues.

One other question I have is was there a RM contingent on board? I've read it was practice to carry a small number of marines on capital ships but I've never seen photos of any on board (I'm assuming they'd be in khakis and not navy blues of course).

Thanks, I think if you loom on the IWM website you'll find pictures of Marines on POW carrying out some drills, takes some time to scroll through all the photos but they are well worth looking through 

Wow, I take my hat off to ship modellers as the amount of detail in this scale is incredible, it is a shame they never kept one of these larger war ships as a museum, I always liked H.M.S Warspite

• Thanks 1

Hello Peter,

Thats an incredible, fascinating, detailed beatiful work.

Makes me wanna re-start an older build i have done of HMS King George V, cause I feel so small....

Be Well

Igkor

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just a small update this time. First off are the paravanes. There are not many options for aftermarket paravanes, and I couldn’t find any for the Royal Navy. I ended up getting the medium USN ones from North Star Models. The ship carries four paravanes all sat next to each other just behind the forward breakwater.

y4m3BnORHe48iZ80_OWps7r-AJSsi8QJ8fzN0epB

The space on the model is about 19mm wide, however the North Star items are each around 6mm wide, so four of them won’t fit. I saw the plans that @foeth made for his build on his website and those give a width of about 1.5m, or just over 4mm in 1/350 scale. This fits in the space and seemed to match the photos, so I modified the north star parts to match. I replaced the PE “wing” with some 0.13mm styrene sheet and adjusted the other parts to fit this.

y4m5COsM9rniJfOVSlFaj7AVIdFn3suZ-2UIsbwD

Here they are painted

y4mfIAip980J6p62lY8A9t5wzNJHP-Eor7nHRj2K

And installed, along with the forward Oerlikons

y4m9NBlydZ_ZpqAr3z-aGEZfJiD0qpd697qp6Tc7

I also painted and installed the rear Oerlikon in the old UP launcher shield

y4m0n2LBK_j-X1-k3-lpb0gZJqdr3pu_SQdmIS0K

That’s all for now

Cheers

Peter

Edited by PeterMachin
  • Like 21

• 7 months later...

It has been a long time since my last post and I have been meaning to do an update for a while, so thanks to @Mr. Church for giving me a push. I have been pretty busy  over the past few months and distracted by other things, namely the birth of my daughter in December. I spent the months leading up to it preparing, and the months since realising how underprepared I was.

However I have found some time here and there to carry on with the ship, and it is actually approaching completion. I haven’t been taking as many pictures as I was before, mainly due to my phone camera slowly breaking, but I will show you what I can.

At this stage I had built and painted most of the major assemblies, there were just a number of smaller, fiddlier parts to do. I started with the ships boats, using a mixture of kit parts covered with tarps and Micro Master 3D printed ones. Unfortunately my cat decided to chew on the 45’ motor boat just after I had painted it, though it did give me an excuse to buy some more Micro Master goodies.

y4mLTlMC4eJ-EPPf8oRvufXfhj1nJ22_IvDMb3CE

Once painted and weathered, these were installed on the boat deck, with the 32’ life cutters being installed behind the rear breakwater.

y4m7EaG_BXttpxVNluJSLxa6mah-Hj6LnsmPmk9b

y4mcPPvh2yX5IZi0m_9rin4LOnmbZTmWhnoAqaZp

y4m4VopwGJWdPFL1oNE8HKwb3Lov3dxKhoHoHVzK

Next I detailed the 3D printed Carley floats. This is what I was going for, some small oars, a larger oar and a box in each one, then the H/X shaped securing cable

y4mePp4nApoYCJwVHDsuxkuCtaoY_F5KFmADo9Li

© IWM (A 3434)

The small oars were photo etch, the large oar was 0.3mm brass tube with one end squashed with some pliers, and the box was a small length of styrene strip.

y4m4cBcyJnw_d7NC8VkmtQFlWTWN092ZHi3CSAyD

On the ship these floats were mounted in different orientations, horizontally, vertically and flat on the deck. I tried as best as I could to position the items inside each raft in an appropriate way depending on the orientation.

y4mFRRvgBUKfTPjG6EwVCnUmMfbl4JAtrkV-xKYG

I spent a long time trying to work out how to replicate the securing cables. My first thought was photo etch, and I did try making my own, but my printer wasn’t sharp enough to get it fine enough. In the end I just wound some thin wire around the central oar and secured it on the back of the raft. They were all then painted and weathered…

y4m6C0h8nv0lQ0BIInQhiHaRgCif3BNQ2cGIOd0_

…and installed

y4mEBQLgZpYpjrOuS_mZ4eyKoSmsa-jLU9BY13Y9

y4mledV-qno41BPz_jkpyyxGhnHDjBeTCJBdBfpC

y4mjSVELwGf-rWkaNy2rHdQqX2AeCM53WyiBwc9X

At this stage I also finished making the davits, derricks and accommodation ladders, before painting and installing them.

y4mrqsF0PriLIFL4xuTm6lBGPKeSOcFSY27MrL91

y4mZ0lQxo9vRwsvXMl6ev2OUjbUosoB9T6vFR6g-

Cheers

Peter

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments.

On 19/04/2023 at 22:03, S-boat 55 said:

It's all great but the ships boats are exceptional, i really want to up my game on those flthe next time I do some, do you have little elves or something helping - it's all so precise!

@S-boat 55. For the boats, I airbrushed the white and main hull colours with laquers, then I used a very small brush to paint the wood and other details with Vallejo acrylics. Any mistakes were relatively easy to tidy up with Vallejo thinners without damaging the laquer underneath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Bertie McBoatface, your words are much appreciated.

With the Carley floats glued to the forward superstructure, I have finally been able to install it, along with all of the various parts on the hangar roof, such as the mast and funnel, which were dependent on the forward superstructure being in place. I have also been able to install the remaining 14” and 5 ¼” guns and most of the other remaining subassemblies onto the hull. It is finally now really starting to feel like I on the home stretch.

y4msyrQ6a95zBQWt0cX_RzLDTBaLGUcQwT3jaRjp

y4moUJLS3MFntgaqSPaENHvNlr7CfrCEg6F2LubC

y4mZ4BbC7U7uV_HW3tEGMaPJJzFVZlb8ma47etu3

I have now also installed the railings…

y4maWF85HkTlUe5E1KdFhUX8-sbjaXL15e6t-Bss

y4mu8l-tjM3lsThx6afEry_AbtECJFJFK5WGxO4H

y4mkbSz1ZelsXjoB0eNLI6f-cu4RVIOqT7dZDHfi

y4mqFV4K8-1AF-iZgEuoa6_15IMohG1U9QT3f27D

…and added cables to the cranes

y4m0h90NZtEdaOc4DymF_kkYi6LPpjSwUNRSYAPm

y4moWEM5i7Snbvb1KAB__NnZwvRrW-p_eelXt2mf

As my to-do list gets ever shorter I am left with the parts that I have been dreading, the main one of which is the rigging which I think I will attempt next.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by PeterMachin
  • Like 13

Exactly the topic I need to help me have a try at my first 1/350 build, that is precisely the subject of this same box, HMS Prince of Wales.

Still have to get at least something to replace the crane, and a few other bits, and I'm on my way.

ongratulation on your topic, really interesting to read, and well documented!

• Thanks 1