SD 14 by Kevin - Marcle Models - 1/70 - Full build March 2022

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Kevin, that's very impressive framing of the hull. Your patience is way beyond mine. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you

the worst bit is still to come, thats the hull plates, they are not overlapped, but butt joined

good morning everyone

i have now passed the 83rd day of the build, about 1/2 way, and still not thought about going back onto another project

did some stbd side framing, i think it will all have to be done, and then cut out whats not required

IMG_3734.thumb.JPG.0e2f861e535e196151805

the forepeak has been built up but not secured yet

IMG_3723.thumb.JPG.24444dca862bdc6e26473

IMG_3725.thumb.JPG.683b42090e89c7cd78fff

now some of the deck plates have a home

i have found that using white PVA tacky glue the card still gets damp and sags between the transverse beams, although this mainly disappears when it is fully dry

i have found that if i use a paper tape superglued onto  the beams and then put the deck beams on that i get a better result

IMG_3744.thumb.JPG.0adc4db9edf01f4831640

for now i have tacked the the biggest hull plates to get an idea of the way ahead plan all the rest of the plates are individual, about 150 off them, and they are butt joined, not overlapped

IMG_3747.thumb.JPG.27a7b0cada257d6332423

IMG_3748.thumb.JPG.1899f6eb2ea04251769bc

IMG_3759.thumb.JPG.0a78ec1f2dcfd0739a69b

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Kevin Aris said:

i have now passed the 83rd day of the build, about 1/2 way, and still not thought about going back onto another project

I think you'll just have to keep going, stop now and you'll have a hard time returning to it is my guess! It's starting to look really good, keep it up!

• Like 3

Totally fascinating!  It’s a bit like a 1:1 ship building tutorial.  I didn’t know these kinds of kits existed, very glad to follow along for the remainder.

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

Totally fascinating!  It’s a bit like a 1:1 ship building tutorial.  I didn’t know these kinds of kits existed, very glad to follow along for the remainder.

im not aware of anything else like this, lol im not in a hurry to do another though, this will last me another few months 

On 15/06/2022 at 17:35, Bertie Psmith said:

Do you find it lonely building something so far from the mainstream models on here? I can only watch and seldom make any useful comment due to lack of experience of anything remotely like this. 

i love larger scales, 1/96 and above, so they tend to be longer term builds, whether mainstream kits or not it is always going to be hard and lonely to keep followers hanging on to watch progress, i even have the 1/200 titanic with full KA MK1 upgrade set and think i would get bored with that very quickly

i love the fact that someone drops in and makes any comment, Thank you

• Like 1

Always interesting to call in and have a look at what is happening usually say to myself how on earth does he do that.  :shrug:

keep at it Kev looking good so far.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

I've actually dropped in on Kev, he's a virtual neighbour at 8 miles distant.  He has a set up to be jealous of, a nice, long and bright workshop; plus a very friendly dog.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hi guys 

thank you for comments and likes

been quiet in the boatyard the last week or so, the wife has been ill with a bad viral infection, although she is well on the road to sarcasm (a sign of being back to normal) 

everyone is welcome to visit and see the friendly dog, in fact @bootneck was my one and only ever non family visitor and that was at least 6 years ago

cakes and coffee are on me

1sCiGw9.jpg

• Like 4

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes, the wife is much better now

day 91 stbd side hull and bilge plates

even though the wife was ill, i still made sure a did a bit on the the build every day, maybe an hour tops, but back on it today 

the kit is quite clever considering, its my modelling that lets it down, but even that seams to have been taken into account, and so far the plates have gone on ok

the sticky tape under the plates is my idea, and im happy i went down that road, i have ensured a better contact with the frames, and yes the tape has been glued as well so that the whole lot does not fall off

the bottom of the hull plates shows the position for the top of the relevant bilge plate

IMG_3777.thumb.JPG.9b7844253bb4ffe244f1d

once i was happy the bilge plate was in the correct position i secured the hull plate over it

IMG_3779.thumb.JPG.0e07efed18548b1872715

IMG_3786.thumb.JPG.f3119d01af16760c916bd

as we get to the pointy end smaller plates are laid under the sheerstrake, these take a bit of adjusting to sit properly i will tape over these butt joints later on

IMG_3787.thumb.JPG.37017c576d1e0ef2fdd37

i just laid another coat of varnish over, hence looking a bit wrinkly 

IMG_3791.thumb.JPG.94527aaa8214f25716bf6

IMG_3792.thumb.JPG.b8fa59cf38de98cd1e31a

IMG_3796.thumb.JPG.fee5e697e54d10324b155

• Like 7

Gidday Kevin, glad to hear that the Good Lady Wife is on the mend.

That's meticulous work there. And I think it a good idea to include the crewman as it demonstrates the size of the ship. Regards, Jeff.

good evening everyone

the build is now day 96 and im still enjoying it

96 consecutive days is by far the longest period of time i  have ever spent without a break 

the pointy end is now pretty well complete, and hope to move aft tomorrow

the kit is incorrect in the marking of the hull  plates where they line up over the bilge plates so  remaking of  about 10  plates is required, its an old kit and i dont think there would be anyone around to tell 

here is this weeks work

IMG_3840.thumb.JPG.137c287d59d52046ab767

the dotted line on F plates should be on the E plates

IMG_3844.thumb.JPG.a21d2e6f1fd44ecbb50f4

as a result i butt joined the bilge plates and then had to rip them off

IMG_3846.thumb.JPG.f1b9c0d1913d947deb6f2

IMG_3849.thumb.JPG.af89008c92fc7fded1501

IMG_3850.thumb.JPG.8a764b330139fd71d239e

IMG_3851.thumb.JPG.094723ea9ef7743fba2a5

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.79d9452113a13286e8015

sticky tape to hide the seam lines

IMG_3859.thumb.JPG.3f707741ebafcde144ec4

seal everything with varnish

IMG_3863.thumb.JPG.305315a5c59cfa597b551

IMG_3866.thumb.JPG.f3c66c5c4ac0f10f29187

IMG_3867.thumb.JPG.bf86c145fe4a4db8708e8

IMG_3869.thumb.JPG.060e1b03c5dcd8b3cfd1aIMG_3870.thumb.JPG.49a114ad8824085860e37

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

i managed 100 consecutive days on her, she is now having a rest until i get back to her

100 days in a row is pretty darn amazing Kev! Do you have some pics of her current state for us?

• 2 months later...

Hi Kev,

I've dropped in a couple of times on this build, glad I just caught up.  It's quite amazing actually, kit or no kit, that amount of card work is something to be truly admired.  The best bit (to me) is actually the slight unevenness of the plating, the natural waviness between the frames, so true to life.  This is stuff no one bothers with normally, but its just the best feature of this build. 

I know all about build fatigue, have suffered myself in the past.  Keep it safe and make notes of exactly what you were doing and the problems you were facing so when you come back, you can pick it right up again., 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Hi Kev,

I've dropped in a couple of times on this build, glad I just caught up.  It's quite amazing actually, kit or no kit, that amount of card work is something to be truly admired.  The best bit (to me) is actually the slight unevenness of the plating, the natural waviness between the frames, so true to life.  This is stuff no one bothers with normally, but its just the best feature of this build. 

I know all about build fatigue, have suffered myself in the past.  Keep it safe and make notes of exactly what you were doing and the problems you were facing so when you come back, you can pick it right up again., 

Cheers

Steve

good morning Steve

i look at her every day, with the rest of my collection, yes my tastes change, and i start different projects, but they all get completed

my next build starting in January will be my last ever (subject to change) new kit, and will be a wooden build, Britannic will be completed first