1/35 AH-1W Cobra, 602nd Air Cavalry Brigade, ROC (Taiwan) Army

Better late than never! Still have a couple of months to go...

tn_Taiwan Cobra (2)

The Academy/MRC kit (1992 issue) - The NTS upgraded version was released in 2008. These were superb kits for the time and still highly regarded.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (8)

Lots in the box! Nice surface details and option to display the engine (I won't be)

tn_Taiwan Cobra (5)

Crisp detail and sharp moulding after all these years!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (1)

Very good selection of armament - Hellfire, TOW and 7-shot M157 launchers. Shame there's no option for the 19-shot M200, but I have some stashed in the spares drawer already.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (4)

Instructions are pretty good, typical turn of the century design.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (9)

I'm adding the Big Ed set from Eduard - it has the intake filters on the Taiwan Whiskeys:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2873/10248557854_36f221f288_o.jpg

The Taiwanese decals came from Heli-Scale Quality in Germany - they look very sharply printed as ALPS continuous film prints:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (7) tn_Taiwan Cobra (11)

Anyway, that's the kit...hoping for a nice result, the Whiskey looks good in Helo Drab!

Alan

• Like 11

• Alan P changed the title to 1/35 AH-1W Cobra, 602nd Air Cavalry Brigade, ROC (Taiwan) Army
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

No Master gun barrels with the aftermarket?

No, I didn't think of that 🤔 might go for those in due course.

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this one built up after the result you got with the 1/24th Hellcat

Thanks James, unfortunately it won't be in the same league as that one 😂

Was looking at this kit in my local model shop yesterday. It seemed a decent one and a good basis for your project with all that extra aftermarket goodies added :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't a hope of getting this in for the deadline, but it's worth keeping the thread going!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (14)

The Eduard set for this kit is particularly good. Really enhances the detail without needing a massive overhaul of the kit parts.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (13)

If you look really closely, you can see the pedals even have BELL and COBRA etched on the footrests!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (15)

Cockpit detail enhancement is good in the tub and seats. To be honest, I'm not going to bother with the seatbelts, too fiddly. I might change my mind though!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (16)

The pilot's panel and coaming is unrecognisable from the bland kit original. 

tn_Taiwan Cobra (17)

I applied glue to the wrong bit of the instrument coaming, so the sides will need some attention. Wait till it dries fully then just scrape it off.

It's a lot of PE, but the results are indisputable. Particularly as the whole thing will just be shades of black, the added details are well worth the effort.

Alan

• Like 4

That's an impressive upgrade to the kit parts Alan. Since you're not rushing towards a deadline give the seatbelts a go - they may be worth the effort ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Col. said:

That's an impressive upgrade to the kit parts Alan. Since you're not rushing towards a deadline give the seatbelts a go - they may be worth the effort ;)

I agree 😎 thanks a lot Col

As Col says, that's one heck of an upgrade! I didn't notice the lettering on the pedals until you mentioned it, but I can now. Is that something found on the real thing, or just an artistic touch by Eduard?

James

Thanks James.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, 81-er said:

Is that something found on the real thing, or just an artistic touch by Eduard?

No, it's really real. It seems to be a tradition among manufacturers to put the OEM name/logo on the pedals.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (22)

Specially for @Col. :lol:, here's the PE belts:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (29)

I always say 'never again!' after struggling with the metal origami frustration of putting these things together, but they do look very nice in the end!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (27)

There's a LOT of PE in this cockpit!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (28)

The front instrument panel has unfortunately fallen forward into the footwell, but you get the idea :hmmm:

Painting next...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to the paint stage...

tn_Taiwan Cobra (19)

Seats and belts complete! Obviously a major improvement on the moulded on belts.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (18)

Front seater's panel with the TOW optical guidance sight. It's cunningly positioned in the vertical position to facilitate the crewman getting in and out of the cockpit. Once he's sitting comfortably, he can rotate the optics to the horizontal (binocular) position.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (24)

I also adapted the blobby kit part to add the trigger grip on the left side. I used little-cars lenses from modellingtools.co.uk to make the binocular lenses. The kit part was a bit of a joke in this respect.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (23)

Cockpit completed in different shades of black! Extra wiring is made from EZ-Line.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (20)

And finally with added seats:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (25)

Can't really praise the Eduard set more highly in this case. Some of these sets a re a bit hit'n'miss with the type and quality of added detail. but this one is really good.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (26)

The dramatic improvement over the bland kit interior is substantial!

One big omission in the details of both kit and PE is the thick aircon hoses that fit down the back of the seats. I'll have to come up with something for those :hmmm:

Next step - getting the fuselage together!

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 5

There might be a short break from this as I'm waiting on some brass barrels for the M197 20mm cannon - not only are the kit barrels a bit soft, one is broken in half which kind of rules that out. While the Master set seems pretty scarce, DEFModel has released an excellent version for the Zulu which should do the job. I'll try to keep the build going (as well as the Vietnam G) even though there isn't a hope it'll be finished by the GB deadline.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh man. Still dragging this one in, long past the end of the race :lol: Haven't been able to get near this as temperatures in my shed soared past 42C!

Tail rotor, with the intricate PE attached:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (30)

This Eduard set has some excellent added details - here's the tail rotor gearbox and GPS antenna:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (31)

Lots of airframe details:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (32)

The underside also has some great panels and extras:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (33)

Stub wings and pylons are very well represented now:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (34)

Blocky detail on the main rotor has also been enhanced:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (35)

So far, so cool!

Alan

• Like 4

The most challenging bits of PE are now ready...

tn_Taiwan Cobra (36)

The intake guards and exhausts. Very pleased these went well. Used a variety of strange tools, compasses and various pens to get the curves right!

tn_Taiwan Cobra (37)

Looks very effective in situ. Need to be careful with painting so as not to clog the mesh.

Next: my crowning achievement, a mammoth effort to create the superb TOW missile launchers using PE, chopped kit parts and plastic tube:

tn_Taiwan Cobra (38)

I nearly went crosseyed doing these, but couldn't be prouder of the end result.

tn_Taiwan Cobra (39)

I'll be mounting these as a four-block on the left stub wing, the right will have Hellfire rails with two missiles loaded.

Hope to do some more over the weekend now the temperatures have calmed down! Also starting my new job on Monday :yahoo: so time might be scarce for a while.

All the best,

Alan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's lovely work Alan. The results of your efforts are making a huge different to this kit.

Best of good luck with the new job come Monday.

• Thanks 1

I thought your efforts were looking pretty spectacular, then I got to the TOW launchers. Holy cow!!! Those really are amazing, Alan, sensational work on those!

Good luck for the new job as well

James

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...