1:72 Emhar McDonnell F3H-2N Demon

Just three lungs Bill. Two for normal breathing and a spare for when we have to take one of the others out to clean it after breathing in too many airbrush fumes.

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

On another note, my gob is truly smacked with the photos from the James Webb Space Telescope.

Very much agree with this, although part of me thinks, so what, couldn't the money be better spent, that part of me is over ruled by the wow, this is fantastic, show us more part. :)

Hope the pneumonia is not too serious Bill & you're back in action before too long.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2022 at 20:57, stevehnz said:

Hope the pneumonia is not too serious Bill & you're back in action before too long.

Still feeling very much under the weather - haven't done much of anything all week. Hopefully the IgG infusion tomorrow will get those little pneumonia buggers. 

Sorry, no stickers yet. Been too busy sleeping.    :sleep_1:  And coughing.   

Cheers,

Bill

• Sad 10

Had my IgG infusion this morning along with a visit to my oncologist who was not happy that I came down with pneumonia. I had another chest x-ray and it looks like the antibiotics are working, but it's not cleared up completely yet. Oddly, I lost 14 pounds in the last week. I told you I had to clear my nose often! Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better so will try to get some work done on the Demon. I haven't shaved in a week, and let me tell you - I have one scraggly poor excuse of a beard. Definitely need to get this off my face.

My onc was also not pleased with an apparent bone growth on my right elbow. When my lymphoma was first diagnosed, it was due to a tumor on my femur. Personally, I think the bump on my elbow is because of the bursitis I had a few months ago, but now I have to get it checked out to make sure it's not more nefarious. There is always something - and I'm not really even that old yet!    :)

Cheers,

Bill   

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

I admire your strength and patience Bill and how you deal with what is happening in your personal life.

I don't know from where this strength is coming from but, I do know that you have managed to develop your patience thanks to our hobby!!!! (as I have over the years)

Apart from this, you are not only giving scale modelling lessons to all of us, but equally and most importantly, life lessons on how to deal with life and particularly health problems.

So, stay well and keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hope all goes well with the next round of pushing and prodding…

Thanks Adrian.

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

I admire your strength and patience Bill and how you deal with what is happening in your personal life.

I don't know from where this strength is coming from but, I do know that you have managed to develop your patience thanks to our hobby!!!! (as I have over the years)

Apart from this, you are not only giving scale modelling lessons to all of us, but equally and most importantly, life lessons on how to deal with life and particularly health problems.

So, stay well and keep up the good work.

Thanks Bill. I never thought of scale modelling as being a hobby that taught patience (especially with my occasional outbursts of Anglo-Saxon) but you're right. If you don't have the patience it would be rather difficult to work with 1:72 photoetch! I'm not sure about me giving life lessons, but I do know that all the chemo is what nuked my immune system, and I consider that a small price to pay for not being dead.     :)

Huzzah! I successfully applied the two orange band decals to the vertical tail. You may recall I was somewhat worried about this as those decals were from the kit and were quite old. The backing paper tended to come apart when the decal was in the water, and many little bits stuck to the back of the decal film. I had to remove the decal completely from the paper, put it back in the water (upside down), and use my finger to clean the back side of all those bits of paper. Luckily, the decals were strong enough to not rip, yet they were thin enough to settle down nicely with decal solvents. Sometimes the piper pays you! The only other decals I have to use from this old sheet are the modex and serial numbers, I believe the rest can come from the Xtradecal sheet.

The orange paint I used on the wingtip (GSI H14) is a pretty good match for the orange in the tail band. Not perfect, but pretty good. I'll post some pix at completion of stickering.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

Just caught up with all this, Bill, so sorry to hear about your health, can't be easy. Knowing you though you'll come through it all with stoicism, optimism, athleticism and lots of other ism's, I bet. None of the battle-dodging, nappy-wearing, I'd-rather-have-a- cup-of-tea-than-run-stark-naked-at-Jerry about you, sah. I had bursitis on my elbow last year while serving hard time with Martian, down in sunny Poole, came up like a rugger ball, nasty, so I can imagine that on top of everything else was not a pleasant experience. 

Lovely job on the Demon,  I have a built but not yet painted HB kit, waiting in the wings (along with a pair of 1/48th Hobbycraft Cutlasses)...all great looking aircraft. This might yet inspire me to haul them kicking and screaming, across the finishing line.

51960324266_2a957ef7d9_b.jpg

Lovely shot, looks like the driver's having a rare old time, (nice to see he's got both hands on the steering wheel, good man).

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

Stickerated.    :)

IMG_6479

IMG_6480

IMG_6481

IMG_6478

Combination of Xtradecal and kit decals. The walkways were cut from a very old sheet of Dark Gull Gray stripes produced by Scalemaster. That sheet must be at least 30 years old. But it worked!! I will be adding additional decals to represent some antennae and various vents.

Still lots to do...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 27

She's brilliant-looking with the transfers on, Bill! At this point, I would look on it with pride, then slowly walk away from it and forgot about it for about 3 or so years. Oh, and his Generalship making an appearance on your thread must surely have lifted your spirits, as I know it did mine.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I just hope he doesn't ask me about my insane 'Tu-80' project!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Stickerated

And beautifully so.  

On 7/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, Navy Bird said:

I do know that all the chemo is what nuked my immune system, and I consider that a small price to pay for not being dead.  

Sound logic there Bill.  And I'll just add my best wishes and echo what Andy said about you getting through it with judicious deployment of ism's various :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow, Bill, she's really coming to life with the decals on! Fantastic choice on the scheme as well, it'll look great on the shelf :)

James

• Thanks 1

And very colourfully stickerated she is too!

Starting to really look the part now.

Best wishes for a full and swift recovery too!

Ian

20 hours ago, Learstang said:

P.S. I just hope he doesn't ask me about my insane 'Tu-80' project!

So, right - tell me about your insane Tu-80 project. They only made one of those babies, surely no one made a kit.    :)

18 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

I always like the “stickering” part of USN aircraft builds. It really makes them start to come to life.

Absolutely - it's my favourite part of the model. The old style USN and FAA schemes from the 50s, 60s and 70s are my faves.

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

Sound logic there Bill. 

When I was first diagnosed, the doc said "I have some difficult news." I thought - Thank God! It could have been bad news, but it's only difficult. I think that's the right frame of mind.    👍

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

Wow, Bill, she's really coming to life with the decals on! Fantastic choice on the scheme as well, it'll look great on the shelf :)

It is a great scheme. I had never seen any photos of the VF-122 Demons prior to getting this kit. Strangely, the squadron nickname is the Black Angels. Not sure where the orange came from...

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

And very colourfully stickerated she is too!

Starting to really look the part now.

She sure is taking shape. I'm now working on the wheels, gear doors, rocket pods, missiles - that sort of stuff. I would like to add some stenciling, using decals from the spares box, but I don't have any reference photos that show them very well.

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great stuff Bill, as neat as ever...love the striping between the flaps and ailerons, a detail that really adds to the flavour. 

The red stripes around the fuel dumps are homemade decals - believe it or not, each fuel dump has three decals and it was fun aligning them all. But wow, they sure look better than me trying to paint them on! Maybe I'll do this for the arresting hook too.

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Those decals look superb Bill, just love the orange against the Light Gull Gray.

This is the first USN plane I've made with orange trim. I almost made an Aardvark Tomcat once, but changed my mind. I do like the orange for sure.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Crisp and colourful results Bill: no mistaking your work anywhere. :thumbsup2:

That's because I always leave in at least one mistake. For example, the kit included the decals for "405 NG" on the starboard wing. I like it, and think it really adds to the scheme. After I put those decals on, I found a photo of a landing mishap with this aircraft on the carrier and you can plainly see that those markings were not on the wing. Oh well...     :doh:

Back to work...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

After I put those decals on, I found a photo of a landing mishap with this aircraft on the carrier and you can plainly see that those markings were not on the wing.

Quite possible of course that those markings would have been scraped off during the landing incident Bill, resulting in a temporarily unrepresentative photograph of the aircraft.... 🙈:thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Quite possible of course that those markings would have been scraped off during the landing incident Bill, resulting in a temporarily unrepresentative photograph of the aircraft.... 🙈:thumbsup2:

That's it, of course!    :)

If it means anything, the majority of Demon photos in the Ginter volume show aircraft with these markings on the wing, so I'm guessing at one point my aircraft had them too. At least that's what I'll tell everyone. And since a lot of folks have never even heard of the F3H, I suspect there are few out there who would actually know one way or the other.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yes, Bill, perhaps not unsurprisingly no one has made a kit of the Tu-80, the Soviet 'Super-Superfortress'. To keep it short, my mad plan consists of using a B-50D as the basis of most of the airframe, combined with the nose/forward fuselage of a Tu-95 kit (AIM kit possibly, or in extremis the nose from one of my two Amodel Tu-95s (Ouch! I don't want to do that as these are expensive kits!)). Grafting the nose onto the B-50D, extending the wing a bit, redoing the outer dihedral, removing the turrets, redoing the vertical tail, etc., et voila, a Tu-80! Simples!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

So, right - tell me about your insane Tu-80 project. They only made one of those babies, surely no one made a kit. 

Don't tempt fate Bill, it'll scar you for life. I've been through this with him, it's all quite hair-raising....the straightjacket and Haloperidol have been arranged and on their way to him as we speak but I fear it may be too late.

Maybe I'll do this for the arresting hook too.

I think you should, be rude not to...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Strangely, the squadron nickname is the Black Angels. Not sure where the orange came from...

Isn't it obvious? Black angles were Lucifer's followers who were cast out of Heaven along with him. The orange represents the Hellfire they rain down on their foes

James

• Like 1