1:72 Emhar McDonnell F3H-2N Demon

Sorry to hear of family Covid woes Bill. Lets hope it passes everyone quickly and harmlessly.🤞

And all these aviation enthusiasts who've never heard of the Demon, shocking!

Terry

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

In all fairness, I first came across it when I forgot to put "Hawker" in front of my google search term...

:coat:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Sorry to hear of family Covid woes Bill. Lets hope it passes everyone quickly and harmlessly.🤞

Terry

We need a special naughty corner for aircraft recognition failures!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

In all fairness, I first came across it when I forgot to put "Hawker" in front of my google search term...

Hawker made an aircraft called Demon? Who knew?     :)  :)  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 8

The proboscis has been grafted onto the fuselage and I've begun trying to replicate the unique intake configuration. You may recall that I removed the "tabs" that were on the top rear of the nose section as these were vertical and needed to be angled outwards. I replaced these with bits of card stock as you can see here (warning - dangerously nasty in-progress photo ahead).

IMG_6377

The card stock sticks out a bit forward of the leading edge of the intake as can be seen on the real thing here:

(Please consult the Detail & Scale publication on the F3H Demon.)

You can also see the vents by the cannon muzzle opening - these are not represented in the kit (or in the Pavla resin for that matter). I'm thinking I may make some decals to fake replicate the vents because, well, I'm lazy and not getting any younger.

Inside the cockpit there are additional switches and circuit breakers located in this area (above the side console). I'll be adding these soon, but first I want to think about the assembly and painting sequence.

Alright - enough of this computer stuff. Back to the Bench!     🛠️   🖌️

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

I spent the rest of the day doing old-fashioned modelling. Just me, some sanding sticks, sandpaper, saws, and a smattering of Anglo-Saxon.

First, the exhaust nozzle in the kit needs some help. The thickness of the vanes doesn't look quite right,

IMG_6380

I really wish there was a nice aftermarket resin nozzle, but the Demon isn't popular enough to warrant one. However, a little judicious sanding helps a bit.

IMG_6381

Second, there is no depiction of the aft end of the engine. The nozzle is hollow, and you can see straight through to the bulkhead I installed up front. Luckily I had some spare RF-4C nozzles from a Hasegawa kit (it comes with four plus I have aftermarket resin) so I hacked off the exhaust tube and engine exit face on one of them.

IMG_6382

It actually fits quite well into the back of the Demon. Now I won't have to look at the back of that bulkhead.

IMG_6384

The actual afterburner nozzle on the Demon has a lot more detail inside the vanes, but I'm not sure how to add this. The noggin is engaged and hopefully some background UNIX process in the grey matter will yield something.

I also started boxing in the nose gear well since the confluence of the kit parts with the fuselage was just plain fugly.

IMG_6385

Don't look closely at how bad the seams are, or the fact that the panel lines don't match up from one side to the other. The putty work and re-scribing are problems for some other day. Now, in keeping with today's theme of "What can possibly be wrong with the Emhar kit now?" I offer the empennage. In real life, the end is rounded and includes a navigation light.

The kit, of course, bears no resemblance to this. But you knew that already, right?

IMG_6383

Where did I leave my sanding sticks? I think I'll start with 60 grit.  I just noticed that the rudder is a scale 6 inches thick. Ugh.   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

"Just say no to OOB"

• Like 21

Lovely work on the nose Bill.

The tail looks from the photo to be flat and horizontal on top, rather than the downward slope of the kit, but that could easily be down to the angle the pic was taken. Sanding is at least a relatively simple method of correction!

Ian 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

The tail looks from the photo to be flat and horizontal on top, rather than the downward slope of the kit, but that could easily be down to the angle the pic was taken. Sanding is at least a relatively simple method of correction!

Thanks Ian. Although the above photo of the model doesn't show it well, I added a small shim to the long beaver tail to make its top surface level and remove the downward slope as the kit was designed. I studied all my reference photos before doing this, and determined that 60% looked level, 20% looked like a downward slope, and the rest I couldn't tell. Even the three view drawings didn't agree (although I have no idea what the provenance is for any of them). I think it looks better level, so that's what clinched my decision.    :)

The short beaver tail used on later Demon variants definitely has a downward slope. Oh, and sanding is simple until you run out of styrene! Thankfully the Emhar parts have a significant wall thickness...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Ian. Although the above photo of the model doesn't show it well, I added a small shim to the long beaver tail to make its top surface level and remove the downward slope as the kit was designed. I studied all my reference photos before doing this, and determined that 60% looked level, 20% looked like a downward slope, and the rest I couldn't tell. Even the three view drawings didn't agree (although I have no idea what the provenance is for any of them). I think it looks better level, so that's what clinched my decision.    :)

The short beaver tail used on later Demon variants definitely has a downward slope. Oh, and sanding is simple until you run out of styrene! Thankfully the Emhar parts have a significant wall thickness...

Cheers,

Bill

Good news - the top of the long beaver tail was parallel to the reference water line. The short one had to angle down to meet the lower surface, which didn't change. Scroll down here (illustration created from pretty good McAir drawings): https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/11/f3h-demon.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a little seam work ahead.    :yikes:

IMG_6388

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. After sanding, things will look OK after some paint. The automotive glazing putty I use sands back rather quickly and feathers beautifully.

I also started playing with little tiny pieces of card stock and some micro-drills to try and flesh out some detail in the arresting hook bay etc. I think a few ribs are still in order. The tail bumper bay was blocked off and I'm looking for a small cylinder to add along with the bumper to try and match the photo. I may have to just use a bit of rod, although I'd rather have something like an actuator of some sort.

IMG_6389

Even with the speed brakes open, it won't be easy to see any detail in the wells - although the two large holes are somewhat prominent. The underside of the speed brake proper is where most of the work will be. The new digital Detail & Scale volume indicates that the inside of the speed brake was red, but that the well was a bronze green or dark chromate green despite restorations being red as well. In colour period photos it looks quite dark indeed. As does the arresting hook bay for that matter. Without further guidance, the plan is to paint these areas bronze green because a) I have some and b) it's a cool colour. Combining the red speed brake with the green bay will remind me that this kit was someone's sick idea of a Christmas gift.    :gift:

I've also begun preparing a list of the items that I'm going to fake with homemade decals (vents, cannon shell ejectors - stuff like that). I think there will be quite a bit.

What fun! I always know when a kit is not "shake and bake" by how long it takes for the sanded red putty residue to disappear from under my fingernails. I assume it's being dissolved by my skin and immediately absorbed into my bloodstream. What happens them is anyone's guess.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Bill is that Bondo ? If so have you ever had problems with it cracking and flaking after a number of years on the shelf ? 

No, it's not automotive Bondo. That's a two-part (resin and plastic) filler. My "red stuff" is an automotive spot glazing putty that is used to fill in the little pin holes one can get with Bondo. So it's used over the Bondo (once it has cured) to create a nice smooth surface for painting. But I just use the spot glazing putty, no Bondo.

The brand of spot glazing putty I use is Nitro-Stan made by Standard Coating Corporation. A one pound tube costs about $25 and literally will last your entire lifetime of building models (unless you build a lot of Emhar kits). My tube is over 20 years old and it's still just like new. Phenomenal shelf life - I've only used about a quarter of it, if that. The only downside is it can shrink a bit (if you try to fill a big hole) and therefore more than one application might be required. But it dries fast and sands beautifully. I started using it because I never could get Squadron Green Stuff to feather nicely. I had worked part-time in a body shop when I was 17 and remembered this Nitro-Stan stuff.

Now don't tell anyone else - it's me trade secret.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, Navy Bird said:

No, it's not automotive Bondo. That's a two-part (resin and plastic) filler. My "red stuff" is an automotive spot glazing putty that is used to fill in the little pin holes one can get with Bondo. So it's used over the Bondo (once it has cured) to create a nice smooth surface for painting. But I just use the spot glazing putty, no Bondo.

3M produces a Bondo spot putty that looks very much the same as yours. It’s my “go to” putty for tough jobs.

49960363202_2e2cc76f90_b.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

3M produces a Bondo spot putty that looks very much the same as yours. It’s my “go to” putty for tough jobs.

That looks and sounds very similar. If it performs and sands as well as Nitro-Stan, I can see why it's your go-to putty.     👍

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

You are performing some really nice work on that rough bird ;). As always, I am sure you will pull it all together to brig us a masterpiece! :)

Thanks Martin. I think describing the kit as "rough" might be too kind. I haven't encountered any bit yet that didn't need some help. Not that I will fix all the mistakes, of course. Today, for example, I realised that the fuel dumps on the wings need to be corrected and to get at them I had to remove the wing flaps. A bit of serendipity that, as now I can pose the flaps to add a bit more character to the model. And fix the fuel dumps in the process.

I hope the finished model will be a masterpiece, but no guarantees. I've always liked the Demon, and my Phantom collection desperately needs its ancestor sitting nearby. Which will be very informative, as the Demon was a big aircraft. I'm always shocked to see just how large it was when placed next to a Phantom. At 59 ft. long, it's longer than an FGR.1 or a USN F-4. (The F-4E is longer, due to the extended nose.) I think the Demon's wingspan is only 3-4 ft. less than the Phantom. I think the Phantom gets higher marks for performance and versatility though.    :)

Back to work...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

That last post of mine got me thinking.    :hmmm:

Since I want to add the Demon to my collection as an ancestor of the Phantom, I suspect I also need to add the Voodoo. One of my favourite airshow memories was the first time I ever saw a vertical climb - a Canadian Voodoo came roaring down the runaway at an altitude of naught metres (a bit higher than naught feet), ignited reheat and proceeded to climb vertically until clear out of sight, barrel-rolling whilst doing so. This was at Dayton, probably in 1977 or 78. The Canadian's display made the teen series routines look staid and placid by comparison.

Yeah, gotta do a Voodoo and it has to be Canadian. Luckily I have the Revell 1:72 kit in my stash, though I will have to do some research to see which markings that Voodoo at Dayton carried back then, RCAF or CAF.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Sorry, no work on the Demon today - too many stencils on the Super Bug.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Yeah, gotta do a Voodoo and it has to be Canadian. Luckily I have the Revell 1:72 kit in my stash, though I will have to do some research to see which markings that Voodoo at Dayton carried back then, RCAF or CAF.    :)

I believe that was the Canadian armed Forces. I think they switched in 1968 or thereabouts and switched back in 2011. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Air_Force

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I suspect I also need to add the Voodoo.

Now that would be very cool. Mention of the Voodoo and your airshow memories, got me thinking that sadly I have never seen a Voodoo in the flesh. They were no longer deployed in Europe when I started going to Airshows in my teens sadly. I can't even recall seeing one in a museum. 🤔

Terry

PS For the avoidance of doubt, I have heard of a Voodoo, and I do know what they look like!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

One of my favourite airshow memories was the first time I ever saw a vertical climb - a Canadian Voodoo came roaring down the runaway at an altitude of naught metres (a bit higher than naught feet), ignited reheat and proceeded to climb vertically until clear out of sight, barrel-rolling whilst doing so. This was at Dayton, probably in 1977 or 78

My earliest memory of an airshow was similar;  a Lightning doing a vertical climb having come from behind and over * the crowd line and then disappearing in burner up into the blue.  Southend-on-Sea airshow - early 70’s I think.  I was a kid and the noise and shock caused me to burst into tears……..and want to be a Lightning pilot.

* Been a while since they could do that at airshows.  Dunno if they were allowed to do it then come to think of it…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

ignited reheat and proceeded to climb vertically until clear out of sight,

Aaah, if only you'd got to see a Lightning do that. It did things to a young lad that never happened again until he discovered girls!

It also made me want to fly one - very, very, much....

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5