1:72 Emhar McDonnell F3H-2N Demon

Hi mates,

Since my F/A-18F Super Hornet is on a temporary hold whilst a decal sheet paddles its way from Australia, I've decided to fill my time by building a 1:72 McDonnell Demon. Being the contrarian that I usually am, it's the old Emhar kit and not the newer, and admittedly higher quality, kit from Sword. Why? Well, to begin with it's already in my stash along with a bunch of aftermarket goodies, so I don't have to buy anything. Let's see what's in the pile.    :dog:

First, Der Boxentoppen:

Der Boxentoppen

The artwork is odd, as the fuselage artwork is orange, not red. The usual sprue shots (note the old style Airfix runners):

IMG_6354

IMG_6355

IMG_6357

As you can see, there's not much to it. Some of the areas cry out for help, especially the cockpit, ejection seat, instrument panel coaming, and turtle deck. The resin set from Pavla fills this need (in addition to the vacuform canopy and windscreen in the above picture).

IMG_6356

The seat included in this set is the original McDonnell ejection seat which was replaced later on by a Martin Baker seat. The aircraft that I intend to depict was built with the early seat and retrofitted with the latter. So I guess the choice is mine...sort of.    :hmmm:

I also have this photoetch set from Airwaves which was designed for this kit. Not all will be used as the resin above will negate the use of some photoetch, but the landing gear bits will definitely tart up the old gal.

IMG_6358

I also found this old fret floating loose in my stash - I believe this is a Demon boarding ladder, wing strakes, and wing spoilers.

IMG_6362

Speaking of spoilers reminds me of the speed brakes on the fuselage. Sword moulds them closed while Emhar have them open (with no detail in the well). The first Airwaves fret above has nice perforated speed brakes which I think will look very nice.

The resin nose cone from Pavla doesn't appear to be a whole lot different than the kit part other that being sharply cast with a more pointed tip (although it could be pointier still). The kit nose has quite a bit of a radius at its tip.

IMG_6360

Lastly, I plan on using this old sheet from Xtradecal (number 27 in their 1:72 series!) which I hope is still good after all these years. My intent is to depict the bird from VF-122 (with the "9" artwork - which as far as I know means Carrier Air Wing Nine from the USS Ticonderoga). The wing insignia (such as the split one at the lower right) do not appear large enough. I'll need to check that out.

IMG_6361

To guide my on this journey I have the two best Demon reference books - Ginter's Naval Fighters Volume 12 and the new Detail & Scale digital Demon book, Even with these tremendous resources I'm sure I'll screw something up. Royally.   :banghead:

The kit's fuselage has recessed panel lines but they are a bit deep and have slight ridges along either side of the line, so the fuselage is not smooth to the touch. The first order of business will be to sand the fuselage halves and the upper/lower wings to alleviate this as much as I can. 120 grit ought to do it. Or maybe a Dremel tool.   :)

The intakes and landing gear wells will need some work - I'm noodling on that right now. Also, the kit's exhaust is really lame - another trip to the Island of Misfit Spares is in order. So anyway, that's it - my next project while I wait for a decal sheet. Wish me luck!    :fraidnot:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 21

I built this kit a while back. I should post it, even if it is not what I hoped-are they ever? For what it’s worth here are my observations. Bert’s book points out most of pitfalls, but there are a few more. There is zero dihedral, it appears there is, but there isn’t. I extended the intakes back and corrected the guide vanes, my advice, save your sanity and use intake plugs. Air brake itself is red, but the fuselage box is green, unlike the museum bird in the D&S book. The kit main gear bays should be extended to the fuselage. Canopy, and the Pavla replacement are wrong, they miss the curved front part and the rear is like an F86, totally wrong. The 1/48 Hobby Boss got this right. The front part of the windscreen curves down on the kit and the Pavla replacement, it should go straight until it reaches the fuselage. For all that, I liked building it and am looking forward to your usual magic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

I have the same kit, and most of the same aftermarket, in my stash — so I’ll be watching carefully how you make out with this build. 

Ditto, though only some of the after market stuff, the Pavla set, so I'll be along for the ride. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is just because i recently finished my masters thesis on the subject, but the one part of the kit that cries out for replacement are the wing fences. Kit ones?? Eesh!!

-d-

• Like 2

Looking forward to this. I also have those parts but also the metal undercarriage from Aeroclub. If you intend to use the Sparrow 1 missile l suggest you try to get the Reskit replacements if you can.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

Since I know you like to do your builds with an inordinate amount of attention to detail, some F3H tidbits:

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/11/f3h-demon.html

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/11/warpaint-series-no-99-mcdonnell-f3h.html

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2019/04/sword-172-f3h-demon-kits.html

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/anhedraldihedral-and-wing-sweep.html

The nose landing gear is particularly in need of detail: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2019/04/mcdonnell-f3h-demon-nose-landing-gear.html

And one detail I'm particularly proud of discovering: https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2015/02/swept-wing-tip-skid_22.html

There's more but I think almost all can be found by links in the above>

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, billn53 said:

I have the same kit, and most of the same aftermarket, in my stash — so I’ll be watching carefully how you make out with this build. 

Thanks. Let me know when I muck something up. Before I do it, preferably.   :)

14 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

The kit main gear bays should be extended to the fuselage.

Thanks. Not sure what you mean by this one - on my sample of the kit the main gear bays reach all the way to the fuselage. For sure the gear bays need added detail and the sidewalls should extend to the upper wing (they don't on the kit) but I don't see anything in the main gear bay opening that doesn't look like the drawings in my books. Also, this issue isn't mentioned in any review that I've read. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something? Wouldn't be the first time!

The other items I was already aware of (I'm a fervent reader of Tommy's blogs) and to me one of the biggest visual errors has to be the front of the windscreen where it reaches the fuselage. This is exactly as you describe it, and was the first thing I put on my list of items to improve. I was really hoping that the vacuform bits in the Pavla set would correct this, but alas they seem to be copies of what comes in the kit. Noticeably lacking with any of the canopy parts is any significant depiction of the classic "omega" cross-sectional shape which is really obvious on the Demon. Not sure what to do about this one - I'm really bad at whittling balsa and even worse at vacuforming.   :)

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Ditto, though only some of the after market stuff, the Pavla set, so I'll be along for the ride. :)

OK, I'll try to keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.    :)

13 hours ago, CJP said:

You got my attention with this one!

Hopefully I'll do well enough to keep it!    :)

12 hours ago, David H said:

Perhaps this is just because i recently finished my masters thesis on the subject, but the one part of the kit that cries out for replacement are the wing fences.

Yeah, they are really thick ain't they? They will look even worse compared to the small photoetch ones that have to be added. Oh well, out comes the Dremel and the card stock again.    :banghead:

So when can I read this Master's Thesis? Was the subject about wing fences, or the Emhar kit?    :)

8 hours ago, Robert said:

If you intend to use the Sparrow 1 missile l suggest you try to get the Reskit replacements if you can.

Thanks. I don't think I will be using any Sparrow missiles. The aircraft I want to depict is a -2N which did not carry Sparrows. Of course, judging by my past builds, I often change my mind about markings right at the last minute so you never know! The guys at ResKit do a great job, I enjoy their products and I hope they are coping as best as they can.

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Since I know you like to do your builds with an inordinate amount of attention to detail, some F3H tidbits:

Thanks Tommy, glad to have you aboard. If anyone can keep me on the straight and narrow during this build it's you. Your blog posts are always a great source of information to help me with my inordinate amount of attention to detail. I think I'll use that phrase for others as well, although I think we should coin an acronym - IA2D. What do you think?

When I was first looking at the sprues for this kit I though that Emhar had included the vortex de-generators wingtip skids, but those bits are the fuel drains.

I've removed the resin bits from their casting blocks and am dutifully cleaning them up. In the process, I managed to knock off the radar control column from the port console - and I'm too old and decrepit to get down on the floor to look for it (like I would ever find such a tiny bit). Off to the spares box we go...

I've also started smoothing down the main fuselage components - while doing this I've noticed that the panel line depths are very inconsistent. I actually had to re-scribe in a couple of spots. Wasn't expecting that!     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Yeah, they are really thick ain't they? They will look even worse compared to the small photoetch ones that have to be added. Oh well, out comes the Dremel and the card stock again.    :banghead:

So when can I read this Master's Thesis? Was the subject about wing fences, or the Emhar kit?    :)

Bill, i described the evolution of the wing fences i had to make in my build thread, IRON DUCK.

2 hours ago, David H said:

Bill, i described the evolution of the wing fences i had to make in my build thread, IRON DUCK.

Thanks for directing me to your thesis, David. Somehow I missed that thread entirely. I like your technique with the cellophane tape and superglue, I'll need to try that sometime.    👍

In addition to babysitting the grandkids today I managed to accomplish...not much on the Demon. I drilled out the compressor seal leakage ducts on the fuselage sides:

IMG_6364

I also spent some time looking for my favourite drill - the one that makes square or rectangular holes - but I couldn't find it. The compressor exhaust vent will need some other kind of attention I guess.

The intake vanes and the "gaping hole blocking plates" need to be removed in their entirety. Cue the Dremel.

IMG_6365

First, the vanes are too thick and need to be mounted perpendicular to the intake cowling, which could also use some thinning down. The blocking plates interfere with the resin cockpit plus they are too close to the intake lip and are easily seen. I will make a large bulkhead much further back to help create an illusion of a deep intake.

At the hot end of the fuselage, I'm also going to remove the exhaust blocking plate so I can fake replicate a better exhaust. I hope. Cue the Dremel again. I don't like using the Dremel tool since it sounds like the dentist drill right before it accidentally jabs into a nerve. Yikes.    :yikes:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

I used the vacuform front canopy and rolled the sides over a round tube to get a bit of a curve, not 100% correct but closer. Photo kinda shows it. Rear canopy was flattened at the rear and reduced in height. If you look at a profile photo, you will see how the kit and Pavla have it wrong. The upper wing has the mounting tab moulded on it, the gear bay section just needs removing. One of the D&S photo’s shows it.

4F7BD650-E6AB-4F75-BA85-B032F1BE94D9

• Like 4

I have plans to build the Sword kit currently in the stash (at some time in the future) and despite them being different kits, I will certainly be paying attention!

And looking for possible PE for mine, I came across this, which matches the one you showed.

spacer.png

Edited by Thom216
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks for directing me to your thesis, David. Somehow I missed that thread entirely. I like your technique with the cellophane tape and superglue, I'll need to try that sometime.    👍

In addition to babysitting the grandkids today I managed to accomplish...not much on the Demon. I drilled out the compressor seal leakage ducts on the fuselage sides:

IMG_6364

I also spent some time looking for my favourite drill - the one that makes square or rectangular holes - but I couldn't find it. The compressor exhaust vent will need some other kind of attention I guess.

The intake vanes and the "gaping hole blocking plates" need to be removed in their entirety. Cue the Dremel.

IMG_6365

First, the vanes are too thick and need to be mounted perpendicular to the intake cowling, which could also use some thinning down. The blocking plates interfere with the resin cockpit plus they are too close to the intake lip and are easily seen. I will make a large bulkhead much further back to help create an illusion of a deep intake.

At the hot end of the fuselage, I'm also going to remove the exhaust blocking plate so I can fake replicate a better exhaust. I hope. Cue the Dremel again. I don't like using the Dremel tool since it sounds like the dentist drill right before it accidentally jabs into a nerve. Yikes.    :yikes:

Cheers,

Bill

Its a pity that the intake vanes are set back, because otherwise you'd be able to use my wing fence technique and make some realistically thin (but robust) vanes from brass shim stock. Those UMM razor saws make a remarkably thin saw cut.

-d-

• Like 1

So, the promised Demon on the go already, excellent news. 

I'll follow along of course, but extra especially on this one Bill as the Demon has always been on my must build list, even though I don't actually have one in my stash yet. It is the right sort of aircraft, from the right sort of era, in the right colours (no sort of about that bit) and of course it is Naval! Must see if I can pick one up at the forthcoming Poole Vikings show.

Nice choice of finish from the Extradecal set. I found this one which looks cool.......

F3H-2N_Demon_of_VF-122_on_USS_Ticonderog

Really looking forward to this one, and I do hope those Australian sourced decals for the F-18 turn out to be OK!

Terry

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I also spent some time looking for my favourite drill - the one that makes square or rectangular holes - but I couldn't find it.

It's probably sitting right next to mine, so when you find them give me a shout... :D 

I'll be following this, needless to say :winkgrin:  :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 23/03/2022 at 20:51, Robin-42 said:

I used the vacuform front canopy and rolled the sides over a round tube to get a bit of a curve, not 100% correct but closer.

That looks so much better than the kit plastic. I wish someone (Rob Taurus?) would step up and make a proper vacuform canopy for the Demon but I suspect the market is not quite big enough to justify it. Although, once I finish this kit someone will probably do it!     :drunk:

On 23/03/2022 at 21:04, Thom216 said:

And looking for possible PE for mine, I came across this, which matches the one you showed.

Thanks! That's what I thought it was but the ID on the brass wasn't really legible. I must have bought this used at a model show, as the wing spoilers were removed and painted flat grey on one side.

On 23/03/2022 at 21:08, David H said:

Its a pity that the intake vanes are set back, because otherwise you'd be able to use my wing fence technique and make some realistically thin (but robust) vanes from brass shim stock. Those UMM razor saws make a remarkably thin saw cut.

I found out once just how nice and thin of a cut a razor saw can make (mine is from CMK) - but it didn't involve plastic. And boy did it hurt!     :banghead:

On 24/03/2022 at 06:02, Terry1954 said:

Nice choice of finish from the Extradecal set. I found this one which looks cool.......

<snip>

Really looking forward to this one, and I do hope those Australian sourced decals for the F-18 turn out to be OK!

Thanks Terry. There are several variations of the markings - I kind of like the one with the large orange stripe on the tail. That is on the kit decal sheet, but it's pretty old and I'm not sure if it will be usable. It matches the orange on the Xtradecal sheet quite well though.

I'm also curious to see the F-18 decals from Galaxy Models. This was the first I've heard of them so I figured I'd give it a try. The seller in Australia has been very communicative and I'll be following the shipment via the tracking number.

On 24/03/2022 at 08:27, Robin-42 said:

Terry’s photo shows nicely how the back of the canopy is supposed to look, meeting the fuselage on the sides at an angle as opposed to almost vertical in the kit. 

Yeah, the bottom of the front canopy really bends inwards a lot. There is not a lot of the "omega" cross-section in the sliding portion of the canopy, although there is some, as can be seen in these photos.

demon2

That picture also does a great job of showing how the front of the windscreen mates with the top of the forward fuselage.

demon4

And my favourite "man in the bubble" shot (the visibility for the pilot must have been really good):

demon3

The crew members in that last shot must have been highway workers in their civilian life.    :)

On 24/03/2022 at 08:52, giemme said:

It's probably sitting right next to mine, so when you find them give me a shout... :D

Will do. I don't know why these aren't more readily available, they are really quite handy.     :)

Spent most of yesterday baby-proofing the house now that little Dexter has reached the crawling stage. Now the fun begins! Once he went back to his mum, I finished up removing the vanes from one half of the fuselage. I also thinned down the intake cowling a bit.

IMG_6366

Now it's over to the other side and then back to the exhaust area.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

oh yeah. now that i've seen it cleaned up you actually *could* use the brass sheet trick like i mentioned.

And the F3H Demon probably had the best over- the- nose visibility of any Navy jet out there. The folks at McDonnell really listened to BuAer and pilot feedback.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2022 at 06:02, Terry1954 said:

Here is the VF-122 scheme I mentioned:

F3H-2N 137014 VF-122

The VF-61 Jolly Rogers scheme is pretty cool too:

137064-F3H-2M-VF-61

I really like these old schemes on the USN jets in the 50s-60s-70s. I certainly understand the reason for the modern low-viz paint jobs, but they have no personality.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

Coming a bit late, but it's a Navy Bird build, so is a must for me. Hope you don't mind if I tag along just for the pleasure of watching, and perhaps learning a thing or two (dozens) in the meantime.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im in the hunt for one if these aircraft, either this or the sword kit. So think Im going to tag a long for some notes. 

Welcome aboard! Did you bring any beer?    :)

9 hours ago, Fukuryu said:

Coming a bit late, but it's a Navy Bird build, so is a must for me. Hope you don't mind if I tag along just for the pleasure of watching, and perhaps learning a thing or two (dozens) in the meantime.

Glad to have you join us! The journey has only just begun, so you haven't missed anything yet.    :)

6 hours ago, Tweener said:

I'll have to follow along on this one - I recently visited the Intrepid Museum and I'm considering making the Demon they had on deck

Boy, it's been a long time since I visited the Intrepid, several years at least. I'm trying to remember the Demon they had - I remember a Scimitar only because I thought that was quite unusual to be displayed on a USN carrier. Is the Demon generic or does it have squadron markings?

Cockpit progressing, I might have some photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5