1/48 Kinetic F-104G JaboG 34

Hello all,

"unfortunately" Corona hit me full force last week and I have been in quarantine since. Nothing to bad, but I can't spray my usual Gunze and MRP paints at the moment...even wearing a respirator mask makes me cough.

That brought my other build to a sudden halt as the Hornet is ready for paint.

My Hornet WIP

I thought about joining the GB several times, but didn't want to interrupt the Hornet.

Well, Corona helped me decide 😁

Here's what I have...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Except for the decals and Eduard IP I will use several parts from the Daco Starfighter set to make the rocket a fighter bomber.

It will carry a Mk25 practice bomb dispenser on the central pylon with two BDU-33 and two BDU-48. Both could simulate a nuclear bomb or a Mk82 bomb.

The second store is a LAU-32 under the left wing.

The center pylon, the weapons and the sway braces on the wing pylon are parts from the Daco set. It's actually designed for the Hasegawa kit, but with a little bit of sanding and adjustment it works.

spacer.png

The only thing I have to fix is the center pylon. It's way to long for the Kinetic kit and from what I can see in Daco's great book, the fairing at the front was removed during the use of the Mk25 practice bomb dispenser. I also have to figure out where the harness is attached to. Guess I have to visit the Flugwerft in Oberschleissheim as soon as I can leave the house 😁 Fortunately it's only a 30 minute drive from our place.

spacer.png

I want to finish her in Norm 83 Lizard scheme. Those birds were kept pretty clean and shiny....which is something else to the modern all-grey schemes.

spacer.png

I will start building the kit and will try to finish as much as possible without the need of stinky paints.

Maybe I can finish the cockpit as I use AMMO's acrylic paints for small details and that shouldn't be a problem for my lungs.

Alex

• Like 14

Had a good start last night 😁

The fit is pretty good, only had to add some styrene to one of the airbrakes as the gap was to big and the intakes are not perfectly smooth, but it won't be visible ones glued.

I prepared several sub-assemblies that I have to paint before I can close the fuselage. Will try to spray a little bit today.

spacer.png

• Like 8

An inspired choice Alex.

Having had one or two "issues" with the Kinetic Hornet I am very interested to see how you get on with this, especially as I have a couple in the stash.

Really sorry to hear that you have come down with covid mate, not much fun is it. I had it 14 months ago and still struggle with virtually everything and know what you mean about coughing every time you put a mask on. I hope that you are over it very soon and back to your full modelling potential.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Craig!!!

The kit really fits well and it's actually fun building it so far. I built...or started... a Kinetic Alpha Jet a while ago. You can't compare both kits. The Alpha Jet was a pig and ended up in the box.

Fortunately it didn't hit me "too" hard, but it knocked me off my feet. Hope to be back on duty next week.

• Like 1

I didn't do a lot today. I only assembled the wings and painted some of the parts, but I didn't take a lot of photos. 

The intakes and the wheel wells are sprayed Alclad White Aluminium. I love Alclad's small pigments. The photo doesn't do it justice. 

spacer.png

The parts of the wings did fit good. I only think Kinetic mixed up the part numbers of the ailerons. The left fits the right wing and vice versa.

I sprayed the afterburner section green, as the German J79-MTU-J1K had a ceramic coating. It will be weathered before I install it.

What you also can see is one of the ugly big ejector marks inside the section. But they shouldn't be visible ones installed...except if you use a torch.

spacer.png

And that's it for today.

Alex

Don't get irritated from here on...I posted a photo of the wing fuel tanks and wrote that Kinetic got them wrong.

Nope...it was me 🥴

So, if you read something about the tanks/fins ignore it 😁

• Like 9

That is a good days work Alex.

I see Kinetic's notorious instructions strike again then, is it really that difficult to do a proof build of the kit and instructions?

The fins on the tanks are a bit odd, not seen anyone else make a mass of that before (kinetic, not you Alex) but I am sure you will sort it. You are quite right about the angle of the tank fins relative to the wings, interested to see how you will alter the fit of the tank to the wing. I also agree that the nasty ejector mark inside the exhaust isn't worth the effort of trying to fix as it will not be visible later.

🇺🇦

Good job so far, Alex.

I hope you don't feel too bad and recover fast.

Tested negative but ill for over 2 weeks, just really recovering now. The doctor said "nothing more than" flu and bronchitis ????

Quite difficult to build or paint something when constantly coughing.

Cheers.

Pat.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is a good days work Alex.

I see Kinetic's notorious instructions strike again then, is it really that difficult to do a proof build of the kit and instructions?

The fins on the tanks are a bit odd, not seen anyone else make a mass of that before (kinetic, not you Alex) but I am sure you will sort it. You are quite right about the angle of the tank fins relative to the wings, interested to see how you will alter the fit of the tank to the wing. I also agree that the nasty ejector mark inside the exhaust isn't worth the effort of trying to fix as it will not be visible later.

🇺🇦

The Kinetic kits are really a great mystery. Some parts are perfectly designed and even the placement of the attachments to the sprue trees are thought-out, but then there are trees, parts and instructions that leaves one with a great question mark.

No idea if they have different construction teams working at the same project or if they loose their motivation half way through 😜

8 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Good job so far, Alex.

I hope you don't feel too bad and recover fast.

Tested negative but ill for over 2 weeks, just really recovering now. The doctor said "nothing more than" flu and bronchitis ????

Quite difficult to build or paint something when constantly coughing.

Cheers.

Pat.

Thanks a lot Pat!

I'm finally feeling better today, but I still feel exhausted.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

• Like 1

Please ignore the following post. I messed up the fins. It's not Kinetic's fault.

I will leave it as several people have commented on that and it shall remind me to measure twice and glue once.

I found a solution for the wing tanks.

I checked Daco's book again and the angle of the tanks is really OOOOOFF!

spacer.png

spacer.png

While I was thinking how to fix it I realised that I had another option...the Hasegawa tanks and the Daco fins.

And that combo looks definitely better.

No gaps compared to the Kinetic tank on the left. The vertical fin is not installed yet. So I can sand it easier.

spacer.png

And that tank definitely has the correct angle when installed

spacer.png

So, that's fixed 😁

Alex

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

spacer.png

What on Earth is going on with those fins Alex? They look completely wrong, as if Kinetic have you fit them the wrong way around, and knowing how "good" their instructions are it is a possibility. Your solution with the Hasegawa/Daco tanks is much better.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Nice work so far, Alex, and I'll be following this with interest as I'm considering the same kit for the Century Fighters GB. I hope you're over Covid quickly

James

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice work so far, Alex, and I'll be following this with interest as I'm considering the same kit for the Century Fighters GB. I hope you're over Covid quickly

James

Thanks a lot James and welcome on board!

I'm almost back to normal 😁 Getting better each day.

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

What on Earth is going on with those fins Alex? They look completely wrong, as if Kinetic have you fit them the wrong way around, and knowing how "good" their instructions are it is a possibility. Your solution with the Hasegawa/Daco tanks is much better.

🇺🇦

Clearly the fins have been fitted the wrong way around. That is most likely the reason for the fit problems. They look like they would have fitted without any issues if they had been placed correctly.

Jens

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

🇺🇦

1 hour ago, Jens said:

Clearly the fins have been fitted the wrong way around. That is most likely the reason for the fit problems. They look like they would have fitted without any issues if they had been placed correctly.

Jens

Oh boy...you guys are right 😳

How have I missed that 🤦🏻‍♂️ I mean looking at the photos I should have seen the odd planform of the fins...at the latest when I had the Hasegawa/Daco tank next to it.

But that doesn't fix the angle of the fins.

Again...BUUUUUT, that's my fault too 😖😖😖

I just saw that I must have twisted the tail/vertical fin part a little while glueing it.

Thanks Craig, thanks Jens

I will stick with the Hase/Daco combo now, but I will remove the comments about the tanks to make sure nobody gets irritated by my mistake. 

Well, measure twice, glue once 🥴

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Well, measure twice, glue once

A very good rule Alex.

I have done very similar myself and you get sort of blinded and don't see your own mistakes until someone else points them out to you, And to be fair to you mate you are getting over Covid and believe me I am very well aware of how that can mess with your concentration and ability to make decisions as I still really suffer with the "brain fog" when I get tired.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A very good rule Alex.

I have done very similar myself and you get sort of blinded and don't see your own mistakes until someone else points them out to you, And to be fair to you mate you are getting over Covid and believe me I am very well aware of how that can mess with your concentration and ability to make decisions as I still really suffer with the "brain fog" when I get tired.

🇺🇦

So true Craig!

Guess I should go to bed when I notice a bigger problem and try it the next day again.

• Like 1

Taking the positives from this, your error is still useful as it forewarns the rest of us that the instructions may not be as clear as they should be for that step.

James

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Taking the positives from this, your error is still useful as it forewarns the rest of us that the instructions may not be as clear as they should be for that step.

James

Absolutely 😁👍

Unfortunately I should have been aware of that as I have read many build logs...but as you can see, it's still easy to mess it up 🥴

7 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Cool subject and some very nice work you have done so far 👍 Hope you‘re feeling better again!

Thanks a lot! 

Feeling much better now. So I'm back on duty and have less time for our favourite hobby 😁

Will try to post an update tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...