Jaguar 420, Airfix, 1/32

This one's been going for a while, so this is a long post. Airfix's Jaguar 420 has been one of the "grail" kits for classic British kit enthusiasts for years. It's not been released in a very long time, and while some people are fans of the "Festival of the Ordinary" contenders like the Vauxhall Viva estate or Morris Marina from Airfix's contemporary range in the 60s, the Jag has a bit more appeal to me as a subject. But not £120-worth of appeal. So imagine how glad I was when Airfix announced they'd added it to their range of Classic re-releases this year, along with the Beach Buggy.

jag-parts-1.jpg

The kit is reasonably well detailed, with engine, opening bonnet and complete drive train with independent rear suspension from the E-Type. There's also a driver figure, who we'll see more of later. On my kit, the body was slightly splayed out, and there are definitely plenty of moulding age-marks to be taken care of. But the proportions and shape look very good.

bodyshell-in-primer-2.jpg

After several rounds of filling, sanding and primer, this is what we get. Note the "shelf" at the base pf the C-pillar. Not only is the C-pillar the most dinged up bit of the mould at the seam, but it's also completely missing this body detail. It's only on the S type and 420s, not any earlier "Mk2", so it' not surprising that the designer didn't spot it it. Built up with plastic rod and filler.

painted-seats.jpg

seats-in-painted-chassis.jpg

Interior and chassis painted. Surpisingly, the carpet in the "red-on-red" scheme is brighter than the seats instead of the other way round. Citadel paints and washes for the interior trim, and Tamiya Titanium Gold to represent Opalescent Golden Sand from the Jaguar palette.

engine-done.jpg

Engine built up. It's got a strange taper front to back almost like forced perspective, but it seems to fit well, and looks OK in place. Probably some compromise forced on the designer by the thickness of the plastic in the body. You could do more with it, but you'd have to watch out for the engine bay space -- those wheel arches with cutaways are not how the real thing is laid out, so the space for ancillaries and plumbing/wiring is limited.

body-in-gold-1.jpg

Test fit of the body and bonnet, which doesn't seem too bad.

cabin-parts.jpg

Engine in the body and interior parts painted. The "wood" is my usual mixture of flesh tones overlaid with Tamiya clear orange, and the dials detail painted with white gel pen ink.

body-washed.jpg

Panel line wash applied using Citadel yellow "contrast colour", prior to final polishing.

interior-chassis-no-wheels.jpg

underside.jpg

Chassis assembled. So you don't have to go through the same rigmarole as me later, cut a couple of square notches about 3mm wide and 2mm deep in the corners of the radiator, so it can drop a little between the chassis rails instead of resting on top. That way the bonnet will close.

chassis-low-right.jpg

dash-in-place.jpg

More to follow....

best,

M.

• Like 13

rear-quarter.jpg

low-front-quarter.jpg

If you test fit the front and rear screens in the body off the chassis, there are quite large gaps around them. However, if you pull the body sides tight to the chassis, it changes the shape enough that the fit is much improved. So I decided that although I'd fit the side windows before bringing chassis and body together, the screens would be attached after the main assembly was completed.

dash-with-wheel.jpg

Not my best detail painting, but  the wheel will mostly be held by the driver. I didn't glue the wheel in place so I could move it to make sure the driver could get to grips with it...

driver.jpg

And here is under way. "e looks like an 'armless sort of chap, doesn't 'e?

driver-in-chassis-2.jpg

driver-in-chassis-1.jpg

Chassis complete and ready to go in.

almost-done-low-front-left.jpg

almost-done-front-left.jpg

almost-done-right-profile.jpg

almost-done-rear-right.jpg

almost-done-front-right.jpg

All the chrome is Molotow.

Just final details to go on now. You can see from the "leaper" on the hood how fine some of the detail parts are. It's a very impressive bit of tooling that has gone slightly to seed over the years, rather than a crude kit in any way.

More to follow soon...

best,

M.

• Like 19

17 hours ago, psdavidson said:

That's a grand job on a very old mould

Who looks a bit like Jimmy Hill

I was going to say, Nigel Mansell.

• Like 1

Very nice job! I remember a slot racing mate of mine doing one of these for the track while I did the Sunbeam Rapier slot conversion. This is "back in the day".... I'm talking about late 60s here. They didn't last that long, but then none of the cars and homebuilt racers lasted the way we all drove them. 

Yours is looking good. Excellent result with an old stager!