1:35 scale police constables - anyone produce them?

bootneck

I am building an English village scene in 1:35 scale and am trying to find some police constable figures, either walking, standing or with a bicycle; but not directing traffic.  There wouldn't be enough traffic to require that.  Cany anyone advise where I might be able to source such figures in 1:35 scale please?  I'm not looking for the flat cap officers but the 'bobby on the beat' types

Cheers,
Mike

23 hours ago, Richard E said:

You haven't mentioned an era

22 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Look to Scalextric

Hello Richard and Fred,

I should think the era would be mid 50's to mid 60's, mainly as the only British vehicles that I have managed to source for civilian use are Land Rovers, a Matchbox MG-TC and a couple of Tamiya BSA motorcycles.

The Scalextric stuff seems a little large, for my 1:35 scale setting, as the diorama would be a tight-in view; which means I couldn't set them back for perspective.

I am going to have a bash at converting some military figures to become policemen.  This view shows a Miniart Gendarme, on the left, and a German soldier.  I am starting with the German soldier for my first policeman.  This one will have the old tunic style jacket with the closed collar.

spacer.png

Here is a view of the type of setting I would like to develop.  

All I have for my English village civilian range are on show so far; however, I have learned that the Tamiya [35308] Austiin Tilly wouldn't look out of place in this setting.

spacer.png

The bikes are not finished yet and I need a little courage to start on the heads for the figures!

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

Bear in mind that you can always argue that the policemen could be very tall.

A mate of mine is a retired bobby measuring in at 6'7" so there is a precident.

IanJ

• Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 20:40, FZ6 said:

Hello Mark,   I am considering buying that model, although it does look a little early in uniform design; however, I could perhaps do some modifications to it.  Thanks for the link.

17 minutes ago, Orso said:

As you are using the 1/32 MG from Matchbox you could look for the 1/32 scale cars from Airfix. I think they would fit the era you are doing.

Are you sure that the Matchbox MG is 1:32 Orso?  I bought it because it is described on the box as 1:35 scale.

cheers,

Mike

I think there is a mix-up here;

The Matchbox MODEL kit of the MG TC is 1/32, but

the Matchbox MODEL OF YESTERYEAR DIECAST MG TC CAR  is 1/35

Check here for MOY cars scales

https://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/yesteryears/scales.htm

I use the 1/48 [or near] ones with my 1/48 WW1 type aeroplanes

• Thanks 1

1/32 is what has been written on the boxes. I can't recall many 1/35 kits of civilian cars. Most of them being pre war German. You might consider a 1/35 GAZ AA truck. It was a Soviet made Ford. But for civilian cars, 1/32 has a much larger selection.

Edit.

Didn't know of the die cast MG.

Edited by Orso

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

@bootneck Cool project! Is that the Scalescenes garage blown up to 1/35 scale? I've been umming and ahh-ing about getting one to scale up to 1/24, but was worried about how it would look enlarged so much...

best,

M.

Hello Matthew,

yes, it is the Scalescenes OO scale garage.  This was a trial run, I didn't even use quality inkjet paper for this, just standard plain copy paper.  I has come out quite well and would have looked even better, sharper image and colours if I had used the proper paper.  I've also got the Scalescenes Country Pub, to place a few doors away, but I haven't printed that yet.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Matthew,

yes, it is the Scalescenes OO scale garage. 

Thanks, Mike.... that's really good to know. I suspect to get to 1/24 I'd need to use a print shop that can print A2 or do some actual work myself to rework the design into A4 sheets. Or did you use the tile function for your printer to print it over multiple sheets at 87/35 zoom?

best,

M.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:35 AM, Orso said:

1/32 is what has been written on the boxes. I can't recall many 1/35 kits of civilian cars. Most of them being pre war German. You might consider a 1/35 GAZ AA truck. It was a Soviet made Ford. But for civilian cars, 1/32 has a much larger selection.

Edit.

Didn't know of the die cast MG.

I have one for a 1/35th layout.  The box is definitely marked as 1/35th (in three languages) and I've passed the micrometer over the diecast.  It definitely is 1/35th! 

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

The friendship models figure isn’t a million miles away uniform wise. It would fit for 1950’s-60’s.

The standard dress issue uniform is very similar but with pockets on the lower and more of a jacket collar.

chin straps only used for ceremonial purposes.

• 3 weeks later...