de Havilland DH.50 - RAAF - 3D Printed Model Test Build

Life has got in the way for the last month but a little bit of progress has been made.

The Lego, balsa wood and rubber band biplane jig has been replaced by a more professional looking one, maybe in anticipation of more biplanes? Here is the DH.50 plonked down on the newly assembled jig just to get a rough idea of spacings.

52116724383_ca46aee562_h.jpg

And here with the markings on and ready for wing assembly. For some reason it seemed to be a more difficult job than the 3D printed FK.3 but with a lot of patience and some unseemly phrases, it gets there in the end. The instructions recommend assembling the wings using the cabane struts first. I used my usual biplane method of working from the outer to the inner. Maybe the instructions method may have worked beter?

52116935014_382eba1ef9_h.jpg

52115658357_3ba87218a3_h.jpg

I did have to resort to rubber bands and small bricks to get the right alignment. No doubt my inexperience of using a proper jig contributed. Interestingly, just like a real one, it is laterally unstable without rigging so it's going to be essential in this case to rig it. This is probably due to the teeny-tiny strut lugs that fit in the teeny-tiny holes.

52117194550_bada9f9511_h.jpg[/url]

Next is either the rigging or the floats. Given its still fragile state probably the rigging is a good idea.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

that does look a nice jig too. 

It is made by a Slovakian company called Vertigo Miniatures

https://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/

and the particular one I have is the EVO Series BI7248

https://www.bnamodelworld.com.au/model-planes-general-detailing-sets-vertigo-miniatures-vm-p006

It takes a bit of setup (I used perspex glue) and is a bit fiddly to use at first but is better than making a new Lego one each time.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

It is made by a Slovakian company called Vertigo Miniatures

https://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/

and the particular one I have is the EVO Series BI7248

https://www.bnamodelworld.com.au/model-planes-general-detailing-sets-vertigo-miniatures-vm-p006

It takes a bit of setup (I used perspex glue) and is a bit fiddly to use at first but is better than making a new Lego one each time.

Thanks they look very nice, may have to retire my wooden jig at some point hmmm 🤔

Chris

Coming together nicely! A much neglected modelling subject so looking forward to seeing everything get joined up.  Must be looking forward to the rigging!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had time to do much of this build due to being part of the organisation of Model Expo in Melbourne, where i had the pleasure of catching up with @Greg B. Also, there has been a bit of a hiccup in construction. The upper wings looked okay when I added them but looking from the front..........

52161456958_bedd5be4ff_h.jpg

you can see the upper plane has lost its dihedral. Both wings should have the same dihedral.

I am thinking operator error here - being a pre-production model there were a number of struts and it's likely I have mixed them up. So it needs fixing. I removed all but the outer struts and shortened the inner interplane ones. I needed a it of weight to restore the right angle and used a couple of moulds for parts of an ongoing build. I will return to that build next.....

52161455031_587d72b27e_h.jpg

This worked fine until I removed the weights and it popped the inner struts. Okay, more glue (gel CA) and a bit more weight.

52161456908_2142708879_h.jpg

This looks more dramatic than it is, as the brick only weighs about 100g. It was enough to set the wings in the correct position. Now the cabane struts need to be replaced, then we can get to rigging.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Always the innovator Ed! I have to say that's the first time I've seen a brick used in model construction! Will RedRoo be adding these to the "Accessories" list?

Cheers,
Derek

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Derek_B said:

Will RedRoo be adding these to the "Accessories" list?

No need as you can get them from where I got them. We got two for our kids is about 30 years old and they still make them

https://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/museum-island/programme/daily-programme-discover-science-live/ceramics-mini-brick-production

My "small donation" would have been in DM (or maybe pfennigs).

• Haha 1

The rigging is being done with stretched alloy wire and is progressing slowly.

52178161871_17f33f4f4c_z.jpg

52178409219_e9a791dfe2_z.jpg

The very first step of this build was to make window frames as my pre-production kit didn't have anything. I made them from stretched sprue and put them in a safe place......... you can guess the rest.

Anyway they have to go in before the inner interplane rigging.

• Like 7

The rigging is largely complete and the floats have been attached.

52182231137_f99b36f7c7_b.jpg

Only a few small parts like the exhaust and propeller to go. It is going to be a tail-sitter so I will make a trolley. There do no seem to be many pictures of trolleys - very boring items - so it will have to be a generic one.

52182231127_9c12c9541e_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It is finished! here it is ready to go on what is probably its only excursion - to the local model club. The box does a pretty good job of supporting it but it is still fairly fragile.

52205933896_7874cf399e_b.jpg

I will put some pictures in Ready for Inspection and write a summary of what I think are the main points from the build. If you are going to build one PM me and I will send you a copy of the notes with a few extra pictures and plans etc.

• Like 8