1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

I am new to Britmodeller, I used to build and paint Airfix 1:72 scale military vehicles and aircraft as an 11/12 year old, over 45 years ago, using squirty glue tubes, paint brush and humbrol tinlets.  The aircraft normally ended up being launched out the window with cotton wool and lighter fluid on fire, and the military vehicles set up in the garden and shot at with my air rifle with telescopic sight, pretending to be a sniper - I was always destined to have a career in the Army!

My trip to the Hereford Model Centre last year inspired me to take it up again when I saw the Hawker Typhoon 1:24 scale model, it is one of my favorite aircraft and a real beast.  This is my first go at building a model of this size and complexity, learning to use an airbrush and apply weathering techniques etc.  I eventually got round to starting it about 6 weeks ago. well it is complete!

It has been quite a marathon taking over 50 hours to prepare, build and paint the 450+ parts and weather it to represent a battle worn WW2 ground attack fighter with D-Day invasion stripes. 

This 'Tiffy' is from 174 (Mauritius) Squadron, RAF Holmsley South, June 1944. It is equipped with four 20mm Hispano cannons and eight 50 lb RP-3 unguided air-to-ground rockets. Max speed was 412mph and range of 510 miles, powered by the 24 cylinder Napier Sabre engine developing over 2,200 horse power.

I am taking a short break from modelling as I have some DIY duties, but will be returning to model the Meng 1:48 F-18 Hornet (f), in a few weeks, another favourite aircraft of mine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MikeR-G
Update
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Superb 👍

In terms of level of detail the Airfix 1/24  scale range is impressive. I have seen examples of their Hellcat, and Mosquito which equals your Typhoon. One of those for your next project perhaps? 

Cheers Greg

Mike, Welcome to the forum. That was fifty hours well spent, a cracking result. You're going to need a large display cabinet!

Enjoy your rest from the bench. There's plenty of choice out there for your next project, whatever it turns out to be.

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Superb 👍

In terms of level of detail the Airfix 1/24  scale range is impressive. I have seen examples of their Hellcat, and Mosquito which equals your Typhoon. One of those for your next project perhaps? 

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg, I half had my eye on the Mosquito or the Hellcat, they look pretty impressive too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Don149 said:

A great model Mike ! , well built and finished 

Don .

Thanks Don 🙂

I'd say that's a pretty glorious return to the hobby after such a break. Can't wait to see what you can do after some more practice 😉

22 hours ago, MRMRL said:

I'd say that's a pretty glorious return to the hobby after such a break. Can't wait to see what you can do after some more practice 😉

Thank you,, it was fun building it, learnt lots to build a better model next time.

39 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant work on that Tiffie! I suppose this one won't be sent through the window in a final blaze of glory.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, definitely not, this is keep high on the shelf out of reach of my 4 year old grandson!

• Haha 1

Guys, Thank you for all your kind comments, I really enjoyed building and painting the Typhoon, and I have learned a great deal in doing it.

I have decided to model another one of my favourite aircraft, which is the F-18 Hornet.  I am going to get a Meng 1:48 F-18e or f.

Edited by MikeR-G