Sherman VC Firefly

• 4 weeks later...

I've not managed much bench time lately, but after adding the last couple of details and stowage I think I may finally be ready for some weathering.

I painted the tarps and bedrolls etc with thinned glazes of Lifecolor acrylics mixed to different shades of khaki greens and browns.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out but I think next time I will make my own, the limitations of casting means that there are some areas on close inspection that don't look quit right.

cwXMfmtl.jpg

I couldn't quite see how the spare wheels were fixed in the reference photo so I had a bit of a guess at it.

9YXP1zVl.jpg

EzmJXnhh.jpg

I did make a camouflage net to fix to the turret but it looked a bit much so I will leave it off for now.

UxcDrxDh.jpg

Hopefully I will get a chance to get on with the weathering over the weekend.

Wayne

• Like 23

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Are you going to throw some ropes over the stowage?

Thanks John.

I did put some on but because the resin stowage has no give in it the rope just sat on top looked unnatural. This is another reason I think I will stick to making my own in future. 

It does need something though so I may have to make a couple of tarps or bedrolls to go on top.

Wayne

• Like 1

Looks pretty damn good to me Wayne. :like:   I agree with the problems of resin stowage, ropes would dig into soft stowage.

I like your tool handles, too many think of dark wooden furniture when they should think of the colour of Ash .... say a cricket bat. :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

It does need something though so I may have to make a couple of tarps or bedrolls to go on top.

Yes, I completely agree. As you say, a couple of folded, hand made tarps would sort that out.

John. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried something a little different with the weathering on this build. Instead of using pigment powders I have tried various enamel products.

The process took me a lot longer but I did find them much easier to work with and I shall definitely use this method in the future.

Unfortunately I got so engrossed that I forgot to take any pictures of the process.

The photo below was taken on my phone and doesn't really show the effects that well but I shall get some proper photos on the Ready for Inspection page in a day or two and

I would be interested to hear your opinions as to whether the effects look authentic.

6TPJpKrh.jpg

It's been over a year since I started this one for the M3/M4 Medium Tank group build but I have finally finished it.

Ryefield have produced a superb kit of the VC Firefly, the detail is excellent and assembly is pretty straight forward, I can certainly recommend it.

I'm still not convinced by the resin stowage set, I don't like that the straps and ropes are cast as part of it, next time I think I will have a go at making my own. 

Generally I am my own worst critic but I'm not far off of what I was trying to achieve with this one.

Many thanks for all of the great advice, comments and encouragement.

Wayne 

• Like 14

This is a great build! I love the stowage, gives so much 'life' to the model. Imo the enamel washes work great creating shadows around raised edges. 

You've really done the model justice! 

• Thanks 1

As always with your work Wayne superb workmanship backed up by outstanding paintwork and attention to the smallest detail.

You have raised the bar with this one, looking forward to the next project now!

Stay safe              Roger

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

This is a great build! I love the stowage, gives so much 'life' to the model. Imo the enamel washes work great creating shadows around raised edges. 

You've really done the model justice! 

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

As always with your work Wayne superb workmanship backed up by outstanding paintwork and attention to the smallest detail.

You have raised the bar with this one, looking forward to the next project now!

Stay safe              Roger

13 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very very nice work... while you may not have recorded the process, can you confirm which enamel products you used?

They were mostly from the Ammo Mig range Rob. It was a little trial and error but they are fairly easy to use. I used Tamiya enamel thinners with them to create washes and to blend them, but you do have to be careful using enamel washes with plastic track as they can weaken the adhesives.

13 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Your weathering looks good from here Wayne, super build..

Ed

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Great work Wayne. The tarps have done the job over the securing ropes.

John.

12 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Wayne,

It is a construction with impressive quality levels, I love the canvases and the added equipment

Cheers

Francis.👍

Many thanks once again for all of your feedback, it really is appreciated.

I have now posted the finished photos in Ready for Inspection.

• Like 2