Revell FW-200 1/72 (Old One)

Greetings Folks,

Truly an international afford to make this FW-200. A BIG THANK YOU to Nick from the UK and @stevehnz from NZ. Without their bits of help, this would project would have ended up in a trash can.

A few years ago, I bought this kit from a yard sale and never open the box for a few more years, when I opened the kit to check the sprue, I realised, there were many missing parts and the biggest let down was the clears parts, I told the seller and he said he can't do much as he himself didn't know where the parts have gone.

So, I tucked the kit away, however, during the covid lockdown, I started to assemble the kit with whatever is there, there were two cowlings, 2 propellers, and some struts for the main landing gear, and two wheels missing plus the vertical rudder of the tail. Then on Facebook, I started asking for help and Nick said he can send some parts but not clear parts, excited I thought there might be hope in restorations so I wrote to Revell but sadly they told me the clear part for the FW-200 is not available as the kit is no longer in production meantime after 2 months the Nick part arrives, he sent me cowling and some parts for landing gear, which I married with what I have. Knowing there is no clear part I said I will move to other projects during that period I found there are Vacuform clear parts and I wrote a person from eBay sadly he never wrote me. So finally I thought I give the last shot on here and Viola, Steve responded and a few weeks later clear parts was in Mumbai, but I am yet to get it but during my office team meet in Mumbai, finally got the clear parts, THANK YOU, Steve, once again, so once I landed here it was full-throttle on the project, building the tail rudder was a bit of cheating so don't look carefully there you will find all the fault of the world hehe.

Time has elapsed so much from day one to know that decals seem to be useless by now but that was less concern for me, Time for me to paint and my knowledge for Luftwaffe is just barebone, my apologies if the colors seem a bit off, I just eyeball from many ref on the net and painted something I think it is closed to me it does. I painted using one single green and variant was achieved using adding a little bit of white, brown, and grey.

Decals, borrowed from other leftovers except for the main one, I use vinegar to make as a softener, it is great but seems to work.

So, here it is, Thank you for watching and any feedback welcome.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 68

That is impressive Tom, especially knowing where you started from. A really handsome build of a KG.40 Fw 200, such a great scheme with their Ring Around the World badge. The overall effect is superb. Inaccuracies? Nothing to notice at all. Good to see such brilliant use made of the clear parts. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

That's a terrific result. Well finished. You've done a great job paint mixing to achieve different green pigments and getting those transparencies sorted. Good technique with the vinegar, too. Just one thing... those 20mm barrels in the forward gun positions look more to scale Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder (57mm) anti-tank. I started one of these circa 1973 but didn't get far. Women, motorcycles and other distractions of the day took over.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mass said:

Turned out nicely, great build

Thanks Mate!!!

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is impressive Tom, especially knowing where you started from. A really handsome build of a KG.40 Fw 200, such a great scheme with their Ring Around the World badge. The overall effect is superb. Inaccuracies? Nothing to notice at all. Good to see such brilliant use made of the clear parts. :)

Steve.

Thank you Steve, Really appreciate the kind words and the helps, cheers

59 minutes ago, Maginot said:

That's a terrific result. Well finished. You've done a great job paint mixing to achieve different green pigments and getting those transparencies sorted. Good technique with the vinegar, too. Just one thing... those 20mm barrels in the forward gun positions look more to scale Ordnance Quick-Firing 6-pounder (57mm) anti-tank. I started one of these circa 1973 but didn't get far. Women, motorcycles and other distractions of the day took over.

Thanks, Maginot necessity with limited resources is source for innovations, Indeed, the top barrel is bit thick, I have already sand it but till look bit, I will be getting the new tool one soon. I am gonna make a similar one and replaced it later. Cheers

• Like 2

That looks awesome! I built the kit when I was a child. It was a fantastic kit at those times - not so much my model. You worked wonders with it!

• Thanks 1

That looks great! Much better than the one I did in about 1975! I thought the kit was state of the art then, it goes to show have things have moved forward over the years. Well done for all your perseverance - it's paid off well.

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, janneman36 said:

It is an old kit but nevertheless very well built👍👍

cheers, Jan

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Wow! I built this kit around 1970! I think you have made a much better job than I did. Very well done indeed.

8 hours ago, Toryu said:

That looks awesome! I built the kit when I was a child. It was a fantastic kit at those times - not so much my model. You worked wonders with it!

5 hours ago, Andy Young said:

That looks great! Much better than the one I did in about 1975! I thought the kit was state of the art then, it goes to show have things have moved forward over the years. Well done for all your perseverance - it's paid off well.

Cheers, Andy

Thank you all Gents, appreciate the kind words and seem like I have rekindle your childhood memories, cheers

• Like 2

That you managed to get the major pieces of this kit to fit together is amazing. To make such a good looking model out of the kit is little short of miraculous. Well done for persevering, and to everyone who helped get parts together to see this thing built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kapam said:

You did an excellent job on that!

It's cool to see how you didn't let the lack of certain parts stop you from finally getting it done.

Congratulations! :clap2:

Much appreciated mate, FW-200 with B&V238 from Revell is something I always wanted to build, first is off the list maybe in future if I get a kit then will build the V238.  There was no point stopping it, I gfeel bad so decided have to complete it.

16 hours ago, Natter said:

That you managed to get the major pieces of this kit to fit together is amazing. To make such an good looking model out of the kit is little short of miraculous. Well done for persevering, and to everyone who helped get parts together to see this thing built.

Thank you Natter, really appreciate the kind words

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

What a superb job on this real oldie!

Thank you, Steve

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Cool Condor, nice work !

Wulfman

Cheers Mate,

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Nice one, Tom. I part built this when I was still at school age. I never finished her, sadly. Shame on me :( as I always loved the aeroplane. 

Martin

I would have never never this project as well without the helps I got, I guess during that time it must be an over engineered kit, Hope you will build a one in the future, Thanks and cheers Mate

8 hours ago, Convair said:

I loved this FW200. I especially liked the camouflage in high contrast colors. Very good!

Thank you Convair, I am so sure about the camouflage but sure look pleasing to my eyes and yours, Cheers

6 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

I guess during that time it must be an over engineered kit, Hope you will build a one in the future, Thanks and cheers Mate

Yes, I think it was, Tom. For me, still in my teenage years with limited resources, it was a steep hill to climb. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, Andy Dyck said:

Always good to see a Condor! Also reminds me to my youth, when this kit was an attraction! 
You made a gem of it! Very nice work!

Andy 

Thank you Andy, I guess most people here have some connection with this wonderful kit

On 3/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, I think it was, Tom. For me, still in my teenage years with limited resources, it was a steep hill to climb. 

Martin

Now, you can try building a one?

On 3/24/2022 at 1:00 PM, Roberto said:

Very, very nice!

Thank you mate

On 3/31/2022 at 2:44 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Lovely job!

Thanks Bertie

Evening Shot
001.jpg

• Like 1

Great job on that. I made one years ago, but nothing like that. I have another in the stash, it came minus an engine cowling and bomb bay interior.

I cast a new cowl in resin, but still haven't got around to building it.