Apollo Saturn V

Greetings!

Some images of key construction points in my build of the Apollo Saturn V in 1/96 scale.  This will be combined with a detailed 1/96 scale LUT to complete the Apollo Saturn V at launch.  I used parts from the Revell kit combined with large diameter styrene tubes to replace the booster wraps from the kit.  Also added photo etch and resin details from the excellent New Ware kit and replaced the kit CSM with the RealSpace resin kit that includes a BPC.  Finally, decals from New Ware to complete the build.  The finished Saturn V will be secured on the LUT with a steel threaded rod passing through the rocket interior and secured at the Apollo Spacecraft Adapter which will be removable.  Many thanks for having a look, questions and comments always welcome.

Best Regards,

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

15 hours ago, TimT64 said:

Thats looking great, How close are the plastruct tubes to the correct diameter

Thanks!  The tubes match the Revell corrugated ring parts extremely well.  The Plastruct number for the large tube is TB425 and the smaller tube is TB275.  Length for both tubes comes in 18" sections and can then be carefully cut into the needed sizes.

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill

A few images showing how the rocket is secured to the base. . . . .

Threaded rod fastened to the bottom of the flame pit on the LUT base. 

spacer.png

The main rocket body is secured with a wing nut at the top of of S-IVB stage as seen here.  The Apollo spacecraft assembly is then mounted and held in place with a tight press fit.

spacer.png

Work in progress photo showing test fit of the Saturn V on the LUT.  Once in place and tightened down, the rocket is very stable on the LUT.

spacer.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Where did you find the ABS tubes? 

I've been madly searching and cant find anyone selling them.

Cheers

Hello Steve,

Here are links to the Plastruct tubes:

https://www.plastruct.com/products/tb-425?_pos=4&_sid=be3aa39e8&_ss=r

https://www.plastruct.com/products/tb-275?_pos=1&_sid=01e4656fc&_ss=r

You should be able to purchase directly from Plastruct.  Hope this helps.

Bill

• Like 1

Hello Kevin,

Many thanks for having a look and commenting!  You are correct - the real F1 engines were wrapped of "batted" at time of launch.  There are some aftermarket items available for this, but the Minister for Internal Affairs (my wife) refused to increase the budget allocation for this project so I had to make do with the kit parts.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill

Wow, that's looking superb, Jeddahbill. I built the Dragon 1/72 version in 2014, and scratch built most of the missing details, but your model looks to be in a different league to mine. :cheers:

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:40 AM, Flintstone said:

Bill,

I fully understand levels of command!

Actually, the engines look better the way you have them, rather than a matt white blob!

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.  I like the engine details, one of the better parts of the Revell kit.  Placed on the LUT base not much of the engines can be seen.

Bill

On 5/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, Starfighter said:

Wow, that's looking superb, Jeddahbill. I built the Dragon 1/72 version in 2014, and scratch built most of the missing details, but your model looks to be in a different league to mine. :cheers:

Many thanks!  The aftermarket detail parts and decals really help to make a decent 1/96 Apollo Saturn V.

Bill

The Apollo Saturn V is now finished and ready to be mounted on the LUT base.   I need to add some details to the LUT swing arms before I mount the rocket and will post a few photos of the rocket on the LUT soon.  In the meantime, here are some images of the completed rocket components.

Regards,

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

Really nice build. I am in awe and envious. I have had two(2) kits for quite some time now(decades). I did build one back in 1970, but that is long gone.

Do you or anyone know of any other source for the Plastruct tubes. I was in contact with them and those 2 sizes were no longer available. Is there any other product that will work. Can they be 3d printed?

many thanks

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Spike1958 said:

Really nice build. I am in awe and envious. I have had two(2) kits for quite some time now(decades). I did build one back in 1970, but that is long gone.

Do you or anyone know of any other source for the Plastruct tubes. I was in contact with them and those 2 sizes were no longer available. Is there any other product that will work. Can they be 3d printed?

many thanks

If these tubes are no longer available from Plastruct, it might be possible to try some other styrene manufacturers or irrigation supply dealers.  If you can find something close to the needed diameter, it can be very carefully cut and reduced or enlarged with an inserted strip.  You could also try to duplicate the styrene sheet wraps in the Revell kit by using a thicker sheet and then fill the interior with expanding foam spray to give it some strength.

I have not yet ventured into the world of 3D printing, but it seems that a tube could be printed,  I have seen some others make entire 3d printed Saturn V rockets in various scales, including a giant 1/48 scale version.  These are printed with full details and are very expensive.

Hope this helps, please let me know if have any further questions.

Bill