Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

On 14/06/2022 at 00:38, Jasper dog said:

Brief update,  just to prove both it and I are still knocking about!

As promised last time,  decals on, panel line wash done, matt coat down, tools painted and OPR started of. 

No promises this will be "properly" completed by the end date but at least it'll look something like 🤞.

The finish is something of a WIF so quite happy using this as a test bed for trying out different techniques with oils and pigments.

Enough of the excuses the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Darryl 

Very nice!
Has yet turned to the good 🙂

MD

Hi Darryl. Well I think it's looking really superb in the photos above. We are always hardest on our own builds. I hope you are able to get it to a suitable finish in time to get five photos of it into our Gallery by the end of the day tomorrow! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

On 17/06/2022 at 08:41, Geo1966 said:

How about some sponge chipping with OD/green Darryl? Would add a bit of variation to the sand colour.

George

Thanks George,  I've done a little sponge chipping on the extremities not a huge fan. When I do it I inevitably looks like little green spots of paint over the sand, funny that...:winkgrin:

My preference for chipping is hairspray under the top coat which I rather like but as things didn't quite work out as I'd hoped that boat had sailed. :facepalm:

I'm going for oils and finally pigments to hopefully bring some life to it.🤞

Cheers

On 17/06/2022 at 15:13, THEscaleSHOW said:

Very nice!
Has yet turned to the good 🙂

MD

Thanks MD, still working at it, doubt it'll be completely finished but hopefully have something that I can post.

Cheers

22 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. Well I think it's looking really superb in the photos above. We are always hardest on our own builds. I hope you are able to get it to a suitable finish in time to get five photos of it into our Gallery by the end of the day tomorrow! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, always have the most generous of comments which is definitely appreciated. 

You are so right though I've no idea who I'm trying to compete with or why we can be so critical of our own builds, must be daft! :mental:

Thanks again and for hosting and looking after the GB

Darryl 

23 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

You are so right though I've no idea who I'm trying to compete with or why we can be so critical of our own builds, must be daft! :mental:

You are right about that Darryl, I'm my biggest critic. 😬  It's that elusive perfectionism that we strive for but can only obtain in our mind, so many of my builds have stalled because it's not how I imagined it would look after painting or weathering.

I'm with you on the sponge 'chipping' method, it looks too random, I always use a fine brush, it just takes much longer to do.  I'm always worried about the hairspray method, introducing something that's soluble underneath the paint, I think one day when it's very humid the paint will peel off.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Finished/Not finished.....

No more time so for now and the GB this will have to do, hopefully get a little more work done later when time permits. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So for now, done.

Darryl 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

So for now, done.

Looks good to me Darryl, It's better to finish it later than ruin it by rushing.  At least yours has decals, tools and weathering, I'm still adding some camouflage to mine.

• Thanks 1

I really like that Darryl, looks spot on. Makes me want to make something in desert camo to brighten up my display cabinet. Well done!

George

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks great Darryl, nice job

Ed

Thanks Ed, must confess I did keep looking back your M3 to see what ideas I could pinch from it.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I seriously love the weathering on this, Thank you for joining us in the build. I only wish I could have been a better co-host. 

Thanks Dennis very kind of you.

Not at all Dennis, ever since joining BM you've always been super encouraging and welcoming. Brilliant just having folk like yourself and @PlaStix who are prepared to put the time and effort in organising and running builds like these, massively appreciated. 

As for the weathering I'd certainly recommend giving oils a go. All the weathering I've done apart from the pigment wash on the suspension can be done with oils. Super forgiving, easy to work with and pretty inexpensive. Don't want to bore folk with how  it's done as YouTube has plenty of videos but if you want to know how I did it I'd be more than happy to go over it.

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looks good to me Darryl, It's better to finish it later than ruin it by rushing.  At least yours has decals, tools and weathering, I'm still adding some camouflage to mine.

Thanks Bob!

My sentiments exactly Bob, I had something that looked finished of a fashion so posted that and now I can continue my snails pace modelling and get the rest done before posting in the RFI.

Good luck with the camo option, after making a hash of it earlier I'll be interested in seeing how it's done. 

42 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

I really like that Darryl, looks spot on. Makes me want to make something in desert camo to brighten up my display cabinet. Well done!

George

Thanks George,  after doing this I'm looking forward to the relative comfort of OD!

Thanks again chaps for all the help and encouragement through the GB.

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice one Darryl. It's not easy to get a realistic finish on a one colour overall cammo, but I think that you have achieved it. Great work.

John.

Thanks John, very kind of you. Must say I found this sand colour harder than OD to create interest with, might but something to do with the shape. Wonder if a welded hull one would be easier with it's defined panels and shapes.:hmmm:

Just need to get the remaining bits and pieces on and the final touches done before running out of steam! :sleep_1:

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl. Well I am really pleased you got this one into the Gallery! It really does look superb. I love the weathering and overall finish. It looks spot on to me. but I can understand, with the shape, how it's harder the get the effects you want. Rest assured, it looks brilliant! :worthy:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...