Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

I'll go along with what's already been said, I think it looks ok Darryl

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think it looks ok as well, I think were our own worst critics sometimes. 

13 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I think it looks ok Darryl. I would just touch up the lines with a brush.

Thanks fellas, way to kind but appreciated!

I'm not one for stripping and repainting so I guess I'll have to see what can be achieved....:hmmm:

Might be a case of:poop:or bust!!

13 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

That plane thing looks good btw 👍

Thanks George I used to do wingy-things years ago before finding armour and occasionally it's nice to revisit with a fresh skill set. Or, better still, try something completely different it's surprising what new techniques you can learn and transfer. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl. As mentioned above, we do tend to be our own worst critics. And these tank things always look better once weathered and covered in stowage. I'm certain your fantastic modelling skills will bring in into line, one way or another :fight:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Just a quick question out to the collective....

Considering options.

Rather than trying to strip it, which I feel could earn itself a permanent seat on the shelf of doom, do we think a respray of Mr Mahogany primer over the top of what's been done would work, followed by a repaint the sand etc?

I'm not sure just a respray without the primer would work due to the contrast between the sand and green. I also reckon the Mahogany base coat will warm the sand colour, unlike at present as the green has left it looking cold and desaturated. 

Or, as mentioned earlier, and very kindly endorsed by @PlaStix, @edjbartos, @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @Geo1966 just press on and weather the whatsits out of it....

Thanks 

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

Work with what you have. It will come up perfect. Re-spray some areas if you wish. I'd just do the light colour in some areas and then re-mask that section and try and improve the camo edging. I have never done a perfect masking job anyway. Always need a re-touch. Good skills to develop. Then, with a coverage and masking you are happy with, any textural or slight colour change will not look out of place particularly once you start weathering. If you are unhappy with the colours then post shade or work something in with a filter. Frankly, it is so close it is not worth going the total respray route with the possibility of introducing some new drama. 

Lastly, I did find the picture "pretty". I'd be going thank God the bulk of the colour painting is out of the way. Now for some tidy up. 

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Darryl,

Work with what you have. It will come up perfect. Re-spray some areas if you wish. I'd just do the light colour in some areas and then re-mask that section and try and improve the camo edging. I have never done a perfect masking job anyway. Always need a re-touch. Good skills to develop. Then, with a coverage and masking you are happy with, any textural or slight colour change will not look out of place particularly once you start weathering. If you are unhappy with the colours then post shade or work something in with a filter. Frankly, it is so close it is not worth going the total respray route with the possibility of introducing some new drama. 

Lastly, I did find the picture "pretty". I'd be going thank God the bulk of the colour painting is out of the way. Now for some tidy up. 

Ray

Hi Darryl, definitely agree with Ray here, I don't see anything wrong with what you have at the moment, remember this is just the base coat and you can apply filters to lighten or darken areas and if you need to, then respray small area's as necessary, that is what I would do....

Ed

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just a quick question out to the collective....

Considering options.

Rather than trying to strip it, which I feel could earn itself a permanent seat on the shelf of doom, do we think a respray of Mr Mahogany primer over the top of what's been done would work, followed by a repaint the sand etc?

I'm not sure just a respray without the primer would work due to the contrast between the sand and green. I also reckon the Mahogany base coat will warm the sand colour, unlike at present as the green has left it looking cold and desaturated. 

Or, as mentioned earlier, and very kindly endorsed by @PlaStix, @edjbartos, @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @Geo1966 just press on and weather the whatsits out of it....

Thanks 

Darryl 

Can only join the others!

Basically, you have to be satisfied with it - that's all that matters.
Give the paint a little time and look at it from a distance 🤓
Sometimes you get caught up in something and think it could be better. But as with wine, let it stand and it will taste better and better 😉
As Ed has written, there is nothing that you can't make more beautiful with filters and a little oil paint...

Keep at it!

• Thanks 1

Thanks so very much chaps, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Ray_W, @edjbartos, @Longbow@THEscaleSHOW.

Decision made, so glad I spent the 5 minutes this morning taking advice rather than rashly re-priming the Sherman.

Progress....?

spacer.png

Perhaps a predecessor to the Caernarvon, the Bangor!

• Like 8

How are things Darryl?  I have thought of joining you with an early British M4, there will be 3 weeks left of this GB when I return home, I have this unopened kit to build and I've always wanted a desert variant with the British roundels on the rear deck and turret.

IMG_1870

I hope you have made some progress with you paint dilemma, I would agree with the other recommendations of adding paint and weathering to what you have done.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob @Retired Bobit'll be nice to see a good'un!

At the minute the Sherman is waiting on the magic modelling fairy to creep in and rectify it whilst I'm not looking, or perhaps if I ignore it long enough it'll sort itself?

Sometimes you try to rectify something and instead you make the situation worse....:wall:

I though I'll do the sensible thing, as suggested, and work with what I have. First I'll tidy up some of the camo edges, instead of having a mix of hard and soft edges I'll freehand them all..... 

Couldn't match the colour as some bright spark mixes them by eye in the moment, the new mix wasn't covering very well and it just snowballed. 

Should have just gone with a unifying filter and weathering. 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

At the minute the Sherman is waiting on the magic modelling fairy to creep in and rectify it whilst I'm not looking, or perhaps if I ignore it long enough it'll sort itself?

Sorry to hear that the modelling fairy isn't giving you any support, they are a useless lot, never came and helped me either.

The problem with making a cast hulled tank is if you sand down the paint that you are unhappy with you lose the cast texture.  Perhaps if you carefully remove any hard edged camo and if necessary carry out a bit of re-texturing with some Mr Surfacer it could be re-coverable?

• Like 1

Hi Darryl.

Obviously, it's each to his own, but when I did this kit, years ago when it first came out, I used the sand colour as the base coat, as I find it easier to apply a dark colour over a light one. Also, I've never masked a model for a camouflage scheme. Once the first, lighter coat has gone on, I lightly mark out the camouflage pattern with a 2H pencil, and then paint in the darker colour with a brush. Looking at what you have done so far, I'd say that all it needs is some touching up in a few places. Anywhere where the green is a bit angular, or pointed, smooth it out with a curved stroke. It's better than stripping and starting again.

John.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 11:11, Retired Bob said:

Sorry to hear that the modelling fairy isn't giving you any support, they are a useless lot, never came and helped me either.

The problem with making a cast hulled tank is if you sand down the paint that you are unhappy with you lose the cast texture.  Perhaps if you carefully remove any hard edged camo and if necessary carry out a bit of re-texturing with some Mr Surfacer it could be re-coverable?

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Darryl.

Obviously, it's each to his own, but when I did this kit, years ago when it first came out, I used the sand colour as the base coat, as I find it easier to apply a dark colour over a light one. Also, I've never masked a model for a camouflage scheme. Once the first, lighter coat has gone on, I lightly mark out the camouflage pattern with a 2H pencil, and then paint in the darker colour with a brush. Looking at what you have done so far, I'd say that all it needs is some touching up in a few places. Anywhere where the green is a bit angular, or pointed, smooth it out with a curved stroke. It's better than stripping and starting again.

John.

Thanks chaps, not overly worried about losing the cast texture, more wanting to salvage something from it! :hmmm:

All isn't lost though, plan C, respray the whole shebang, I won't strip it as i fear that could be potentially fatal for it. Going to repaint it all a straight sand colour, does Tamiya do a reasonably close paint match?

(Plan D being the 14lb sledge I've shown it :winkgrin:). 

Currently using either AK or Mig and that's great but the coverage can be a bit translucent and I want something that will cover without to having to put too much paint down. Once it's all sand I then have a choice of either camo again or a straight sand version, which tbh has a certain appeal!

The problem I'd have with hand painting the camo is my total and utter lack of brush painting ability these days, I'm someone that will airbrush crew helmets just to avoid the torment of the brush. Never had that problem with Humbrol enamels back in the day!

I'd have touched it up with a brush if I hadn't of shot myself in the foot with plan B when I tried to freehand AB the edges to uniform it. Not to mention the stupidity of creating unique paint mixes as I go along making touching up somewhat difficult. Yes it's been a litany of self inflicted cock-ups, despite the best efforts of everyone else.

(Don't half get a sore head from repeatedly banging it against the nearest wall..:wall:)

Nice to see you back in the game too John, been awhile since we heard from you, hope all's well.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

The problem I'd have with hand painting the camo is my total and utter lack of brush painting ability these days, I'm someone that will airbrush crew helmets just to avoid the torment of the brush. Never had that problem with Humbrol enamels back in the day!

Your woes are exactly the same as mine, Darryl.  Decades ago I only painted with hairy sticks and my attempts at airbrushing with my first Badger and aerosol cans of propellant were usually a disaster.  I would thin down the Humbrol paint, start spraying only to have it stop after a short while.  Stripping it down and not finding anything wrong, only to have it bock again after another short time spraying made me give up and stay brush painting.  Being older and perhaps a little wiser (not according to SWMBO)  I realise now that the propellant was causing the paint to freeze.  :wtf:

Now I have a decent compressor and using acrylics I find hairy stick painting can be very frustrating (well done to Stix @PlaStix) and so I will airbrush as much as possible, but like you have shot myself in the foot by trying to freehand camo patterns and mixed one shot paint colours.  So stop hitting your head, you are not alone, and as for the 14lb  hammer solution, yes, I've done that too, but usually end up regretting it, especially a hard kit to get hold of like the Tasca ones that were recoverable.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Your woes are exactly the same as mine, Darryl.  Decades ago I only painted with hairy sticks and my attempts at airbrushing with my first Badger and aerosol cans of propellant were usually a disaster.  I would thin down the Humbrol paint, start spraying only to have it stop after a short while.  Stripping it down and not finding anything wrong, only to have it bock again after another short time spraying made me give up and stay brush painting.  Being older and perhaps a little wiser (not according to SWMBO)  I realise now that the propellant was causing the paint to freeze.  :wtf:

Now I have a decent compressor and using acrylics I find hairy stick painting can be very frustrating (well done to Stix @PlaStix) and so I will airbrush as much as possible, but like you have shot myself in the foot by trying to freehand camo patterns and mixed one shot paint colours.  So stop hitting your head, you are not alone, and as for the 14lb  hammer solution, yes, I've done that too, but usually end up regretting it, especially a hard kit to get hold of like the Tasca ones that were recoverable.

Quite right Bob, I still maintain some of my best paint jobs,  brush and airbrush, have been with enamels, particularly when thinned with cellulose thinners. Obviously not terribly good for ones health but come on, priorities!

spacer.png

Doubt I could do these smoke rings these days with acrylics.....

As for the matter in question....

spacer.png

Repainted overall sand, once fully dry decals and start the weathering. 

So thanks for the encouragement and virtual kick in the pants to get the proverbial finger out and do something with it. Doesn't look too bad, If you know where to look the odd shadow of previous camouflage is visible but its not particularly obvious. :frantic:

Cheers :beer:

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update,  just to prove both it and I are still knocking about!

As promised last time,  decals on, panel line wash done, matt coat down, tools painted and OPR started of. 

No promises this will be "properly" completed by the end date but at least it'll look something like 🤞.

The finish is something of a WIF so quite happy using this as a test bed for trying out different techniques with oils and pigments.

Enough of the excuses the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That's looking very nice Darryl, It's coming along great...

Ed

Thanks Ed, trying to break up the monotone sand colour and give it a little bit of interest. 

At least I'll have something by the deadline!

• Like 3

On 15/06/2022 at 19:08, Retired Bob said:

I might have finish mine in overall sand to meet the deadline as well Darryl.  😬

It makes a lot of sense, however I'm finding it tricky to do anything with it, OD, dunklegelb etc fine but this sand colour...Could be the shape of the cast hull rather than the flat plate welded variety but I'm struggling to make it look interesting. 

Doubt it'll be "properly finished" by Sunday but I'll have something. 🤞

Good luck with yours, I'll be interested to see how you get on. :thumbsup: