Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Not sure with hindsight I'm happy with the green, it might do as a base coat before I hit bits of it with Khaki Green 3. This in turn will be partially masked as the underlying colour prior to sand so.....

That fine desert sand gets every where (I know from personal experience) Just drybrush some dust all over and jobs a good un.  :whistle:

• Haha 2

On 29/04/2022 at 10:19, Retired Bob said:

That fine desert sand gets every where (I know from personal experience) Just drybrush some dust all over and jobs a good un.  :whistle:

The essence of a skilled craftsman,  makes everything look and sound so simple.....

• Haha 2

On 02/05/2022 at 23:45, Longbow said:

Don’t trust the Olde Wizards “Dry Brushing” balderdash !!

He’ll lead down a Bad Path, Young Darryl !!

Thanks Lee, good job your around as a guiding light through the medieval morass of ancient modelling!

I was almost suckered into buying a bunch of dry brush paints and brushes...

Daub it on you say? :hypnotised:

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Good luck with daubing dust on.... just sayin.  :doh: 

Just remember Bob, humour the colonial,  he knows how to dispose of a corpse...

If the man says delicately daub on the highlights and gently daub the dust then....:whistle:

• Haha 3

Little bit more progression .:frantic:

Decided I didn't like the green after all so several light coats of KG3 have been misted over the previously applied SCC15, obviously too late of a colour but I thought aesthetically it would have worked, leaving the darker green to act as a shadow.

However with the gently applied dust daub little of it can be seen. 

Tracks have been painted, pads Tamiya German Grey and the metal end pieces a reddish-brown, (thanks Ed for the inspiration) the inner surface which is in contact with wheels has had a rub over with metallic pigments. Once dry fitted these to the wheels and tensioned.

Something I'd forgotten to do, even though I'd been told, was to glue the swinging arms of the suspension units in situ. With the track fitted and tensioned it would lift the first and last arms, a splash of extra thin and a wedge fixed the arms in place.

To try another new technique I mixed up a pigment "slurry", bit of North Africa dust pigment mixed with some sansoder mineral spirit. (Really recommend the sansoder stuff, not too hot like DIY store white spirit and you don't end up smelling like a decorators cuff). Just to keep Lee and his phobia of dry brushing happy I've daubed this over the suspension and wheels.

That done it was time to fit the track guards and side skirts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Where the dust pigment looks too heavy (yes the photo has just highlighted those odd spots to me too) you can just rub it away with a dry brush or tissue.

Tracks will get a similar treatment once paintwork is completed and the model gets weathered as a whole.

spacer.png

Couple of pieces still to fit prior to paint like the inner parts to the sand shield/track guards and the frame work for the wagon disguise. 

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 7

Coming along nicely Darryl.

Appreciate you have the cam to do, but it looks strange in brown 🙂

George

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2022 at 10:07, Geo1966 said:

Coming along nicely Darryl.

Appreciate you have the cam to do, but it looks strange in brown 🙂

George

Thanks George. 

Don't think the brown primer does anything for it aesthetically does it!

Not even sure the Khaki Green does that much now either...:whistle:

22 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That's a nice looking tank Darryl, It's coming along great...

Ed

Thanks Ed, appreciated as ever!

Darryl 

First colour on, KG3, this will be the base coat prior to having sections masked off before the sand top coat goes on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure how much contrast it'll produce against the sand....

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

A Sherman in an evening dress. 😆

Don't be silly, it's a little seen field mod, helps to keep the dust signature down. :whistle:

• Haha 3

Hi Darryl. Great to see it with the base coat going on and it really is looking impressive! Good luck with the next stages.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Wasn't happy with the KG3, just didn't look right to me. Therefore I've add some SCC15 green to the KG3 to create something that to my mind looks closer to what I'd imagined and hopefully should offer more in the way of contrast to the sand colour camouflage. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 11/05/2022 at 07:56, Hewy said:

Looking good darryl👍

Thanks Glynn,  just need to find a couple of hours when I'm either not working, slepping or better still cleaning up after a poorly Greyhound, so I can mask and paint the flippin thing!

That's the only downside to Panzer-putty, you need to paint fairly soon after applying as it travels with gravity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Glynn,  just need to find a couple of hours when I'm either not working, slepping or better still cleaning up after a poorly Greyhound, so I can mask and paint the flippin thing!

That's the only downside to Panzer-putty, you need to paint fairly soon after applying as it travels with gravity.

Hello Darryl

Good paint job 👍
Yes, indeed-Panzer Putty's advantage of spreading everywhere can be a real disadvantage (especially on warm days) 😅

MD

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Looking nice Darryl..

Thanks Ed, unfortunately you haven't seen it painted.....

Panzer putty on a warm day, particularly when hurrying things along with a hairdryer,  migrates South...(faster than anticipated)

Leading to chasing a soft edge with a dark shadow.:wall:

I've touched in with a brush, unfortunately I dont have the skill of Stix in that department, especially when each paint mix is unique, so I've parked it for today.

Suffice to say it ain't pretty...:facepalm:

I suspect this could be one of those models best viewed from a distance.....perhaps 200yds??

Given me chance to paint the Shot Kal tracks! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I have never tried it, but some people use White tack (a less greasy version of Blu tack). Maybe you could use it for the lines and fill in with the panzer putty?

George

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

I have never tried it, but some people use White tack (a less greasy version of Blu tack). Maybe you could use it for the lines and fill in with the panzer putty?

George

Thanks George, really appreciate your suggestion. :like:

White tack and blue tack are great for giving a soft feathered edge which I've used no problem.  (The suggested problem with blue tack disappears with a gloss coat btw). Panzer putty gives a hard edge which I was hoping for. Not sure if it was just the heat and the effects of the hairdryer that accelerated its migration. 

Blue tack masking:

spacer.png

Panzer putty masking:

spacer.png

The hoped for nice hard edge.

Warning the next pic ain't pretty...

spacer.png

I have a plan, avoiding the obvious Baldrick classic. 

Gentle flat down, sand colour filter over everything and ......

Weather the begeebas out of it and cover with stowage, not forgetting to take the RFI photos from 200yds!

Another thing looking at it again, green isn't great as a base coat for sand, looks really desaturated in the photo.

• Like 4

I think it looks ok Darryl. I would just touch up the lines with a brush.

That plane thing looks good btw 👍

George

• Thanks 1