Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

Executive decision made, just don't tell OC Home I'm engaging in such behaviour,  decided I rather like the SCC15, think it'll look with the sand and that's what I've gone with for the lower hull and suspension units etc.

spacer.png

At the same time I've decided,  now I've cleaned the airbrush, to try the suggestions from @Longbowand @Corsairfoxfouruncle  regarding Burt's Beeswax. Not sure I understood the procedure totally but 🤞.

I've taken what is a surprisingly thick substance for and airbrush and proceeded forthwith:

Take a generous scoop from the tin warm through and add a drop, of the new me, AK high comparability thinner,  why not?

Once the substance has has reached the required consistency take off the heat and pour into the paint cup of the airbrush, one must fairly brisk in this endeavor as it thickens quite quickly. Crank the pressure up on the compressor, I found somewhere around 60-70 psi mark just about worked, and let rip with the trigger.

I assume the volcanic geyser is the desired result?

Anyway within a few seconds this stops completely and hopefully we have an airtight and fully sealed airbrush. 

Leave to cool and with any luck all should be well, don't forget to reset your compressor too, don't want to make a mess next time we paint do we...

My only concern thius far, I haven't tried painting with it yet, is the trigger seems unusually stiff....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, Jasper dog said:

And this is one after dropping it and then standing on it.:wall:

Don't worry about it. No-one has yet noticed that I couldn't be bothered to fit any of the lights, their guards or the siren to my M3.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Darryl, with the beeswax, you just strip your brush and smear a tiny amount on the threads of the head components. 

Done that! Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Just liked the humour in the idea of going to all that effort to fill the AB with a solid mass of beeswax wax ...:tumble:

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

I also rub a tiny amount on the needle for lubricant, and to stop tip drying. 

Nudge-nudge wink wink said the Archbishop to the actress!

:tumble:

Jeez it's a tough crowd to tonight.......

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Don't worry about it. No-one has yet noticed that I couldn't be bothered to fit any of the lights, their guards or the siren to my M3.

Well I won't let on if you don't! :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

At the same time I've decided,  now I've cleaned the airbrush, to try the suggestions from @Longbowand @Corsairfoxfouruncle  regarding Burt's Beeswax. Not sure I understood the procedure totally but 🤞.

I've taken what is a surprisingly thick substance for and airbrush and proceeded forthwith:

Take a generous scoop from the tin warm through and add a drop, of the new me, AK high comparability thinner,  why not?

Once the substance has has reached the required consistency take off the heat and pour into the paint cup of the airbrush, one must fairly brisk in this endeavor as it thickens quite quickly. Crank the pressure up on the compressor, I found somewhere around 60-70 psi mark just about worked, and let rip with the trigger.

Anyway within a few seconds this stops completely and hopefully we have an airtight and fully sealed airbrush. 

Leave to cool and with any luck all should be well, don't forget to reset your compressor too, don't want to make a mess next time we paint do we...

My only concern thius far, I haven't tried painting with it yet, is the trigger seems unusually stiff....

This will be an interesting if tragic story, I suspect. Why would anyone do that to a expensive and delicate drawing instrument?

Edit: Oh, it's a joke right? D'oh, you got me. I thought you really had done it.

2nd Edit: You didn't, did you?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Executive decision made, just don't tell OC Home I'm engaging in such behaviour,  decided I rather like the SCC15, think it'll look with the sand and that's what I've gone with for the lower hull and suspension units etc.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Done that! Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Just liked the humour in the idea of going to all that effort to fill the AB with a solid mass of beeswax wax ...:tumble:

Nudge-nudge wink wink said the Archbishop to the actress!

:tumble:

Jeez it's a tough crowd to tonight.......

You had me going for a minute ? I really thought you had poured semi-molten beeswax into your airbrush. An effective way to make a sculpture. Not so much to get a highly tuned precision painting instrument to function. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You had me going for a minute ? I really thought you had poured semi-molten beeswax into your airbrush. An effective way to make a sculpture. Not so much to get a highly tuned precision painting instrument to function. 

Sounds like priming with Stynilrex to me…

Omg, I love that stuff and hate that stuff, so much so that I’ve taken to using rattle cans of Mr. Surfacer 1000 lately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Edit: Oh, it's a joke right? D'oh, you got me. I thought you really had done it.

2nd Edit: You didn't, did you?

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anything for a giggle!

The Mrs loves it.....honest!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Sounds like priming with Stynilrex to me…

Omg, I love that stuff and hate that stuff, so much so that I’ve taken to using rattle cans of Mr. Surfacer 1000 lately. 

If a primer doesn't come in a rattle can I don't want to know!

The Mr Mahogany is rattle can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Darryl. Great to see it with some paint starting to go on! :thumbsup: And I hope the airbrush is okay. You could resort to brushes for painting otherwise?! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

You could resort to brushes for painting otherwise?! :winkgrin:

Yee Gads man, have a care, almost spat out my tea!

Anyway I have been practicing my brush work....6"brush and tub of matt white emulsion!

• Haha 2

Brief update; bare metal finish to return rollers and idlers. Not sure how realistic this is but I'd guess operating in a desert environment with lots of sand and grit polishing the surfaces I'm hoping it's not too far off...🤞

spacer.png

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Brief update; bare metal finish to return rollers and idlers. Not sure how realistic this is but I'd guess operating in a desert environment with lots of sand and grit polishing the surfaces I'm hoping it's not too far off...🤞

spacer.png

I like the logic of the shiny wheels. What was the paint, Humbrol steel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks good Darryl, I might need to alter mine a bit as I have just painted my return rollers. As you say in that environment there would definitely be a fair amount of wear...

Ed

Thanks Ed, I haven't looked for any evidence for it but seems to make sense.

10 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I like the logic of the shiny wheels. What was the paint, Humbrol steel?

No, I used a pale grey paint and once dry went over them with MIG polished steel pigment, decided it looked a bit light so went over with MIG gunmetal pigment. (Applied with a cotton bud).

Something rather satisfying about polishing up metallics. :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/04/2022 at 23:15, Jasper dog said:

Brief update; bare metal finish to return rollers and idlers.

I agree that the idlers did not have a rubber tyre, I have painted mine up as bare metal but I thought that the return rollers were made with the outer part of rubber, my Squadron/Signal  Sherman walk around book details the other parts of the running gear but doesn't say anything about the return rollers.  Anyone one else know their construction?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Something rather satisfying about polishing up metallics. :winkgrin:

I brush painted my dozer blade with AK true metal 'steel' which is a coloured wax that is then polished, came up really good.  Then I slapped on a load of mud as in my photo.  :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

You've  built that up well, looks a smashing kit too, you gonna do any fancy shading on one of those  primer coats ?

Thanks, as the period reviews said,  it's a great kit, any issues are entirely self inflicted. Really shouldn't stand on the parts I've dropped...

Me, fiddle around with paint effects...

Why make life simple?

Not sure with hindsight I'm happy with the green, it might do as a base coat before I hit bits of it with Khaki Green 3. This in turn will be partially masked as the underlying colour prior to sand so.......

All that said I'm sure you'll be doing something pretty special with your Super Sherman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

All that said I'm sure you'll be doing something pretty special with your Super Sherman.

Lol, it definitely won't be pretty, and the only thing special I can think of is special needs

• Haha 1