Tasca/Asuka 1/35 El Alamein Sherman II DV.

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

A start has been made on the 6 suspension units, still more work to do, and the infamous Asuka rubber sheet ready to be cut down.

Darryl it's best to replace that rubber sheet with plastic card, that's what I do and the newer Asuka kits provide hard plastic replacements.  The 'working' suspension with the rubber sheet and vinyl tracks end up with a rocking chair effect, front and rear wheels lifted.  Glad you have managed to get started.  :happy:

• Thanks 1

Following advice from @Retired Bob and @Longbow (thanks chaps) I've replaced the kit supplied rubber sheet with plastic. The kit suggests using two rectangles of rubber, using my desperately accurate measuring device, shatterproof 12inch ruler, I reckon the rubber is approximately 1.456493mm thick, roughly. :whistle:

spacer.png

Sheet of plastic card cut down into suitably sized rectangles ready to pack out the suspension units. 

spacer.png

Looks something like this one fitted...

spacer.png

So far four little motorbikes completed!

spacer.png

At least once I've got the suspensions done I can crack on with the build proper, that said its still better than interleaved Tiger roadwheels! :frantic:

Darryl 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have steel ones, 6 inches and 12 inches but I don't use them as a rule. :facepalm:

Ba-Dum... Tishhhh....

I see what you did there ;)

Your coat's in the closet, pick it up on your way out....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

What's the rubber sheet for? Did I miss something?

The foam rubber sheet was Taska/Asuka's way of having some movement in the suspension units but it isn't firm enough, if the rubber band tracks are used the suspension is lifted at the front and rear giving a rocking chair effect, not good look to your Sherman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

The foam rubber sheet was Taska/Asuka's way of having some movement in the suspension units but it isn't firm enough, if the rubber band tracks are used the suspension is lifted at the front and rear giving a rocking chair effect, not good look to your Sherman.

Another one that looked like a great ides on the CAD screen...

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have steel ones, 6 inches and 12 inches but I don't use them as a rule. :facepalm:

We had a teacher with a built up shoe, wonder if he had the same affliction....that extra 6" of steel is bound to make its presence felt somewhere!

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

if the rubber band tracks are used....

Yeah, as if, what sort of lowlife self respecting modeller would take that route....:whistle:

12 hours ago, edjbartos said:

The suspensions are looking good Darryl, nice work

Ed

Thanks Ed, very kind of you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On newer Tasca/Asuka kits they supply both the silly foam pads, plus some plastic spacers on the sprue, but I've got a sneaky feeling that they don't call it out in the instructions (not sure) but it's always worth checking the sprues for kit supplied spacer parts.

And that's a damn fine Tasca Hull ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/04/2022 at 10:20, Retired Bob said:

started on the tracks yet...:whistle:

No sweat, don't know what these drama queens complain about....

spacer.png

Strong and articulated....:whistle:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Lower hull complete with back panel...

spacer.png

Replaced the flat 2d pe parts for the air cleaner clamps with plastic rod.

spacer.png

Transmission cover assembled and dry fitted to the hull.

spacer.png

Even made a start on the cast upper hullspacer.png

Anyone know what the row of little lugs are or are for on the bottom edge of the hull?

That's all for now folks....

Darryl 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That’s delicate work old chum. Well done. 

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Darryl. The lower hull and your detailing are looking very impressive. Lovely job.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks, certainly not the neatest, most precise or accurate you'll see on BM but it'll do the job once tucked up under the upper hull.

Much appreciated, as ever

Darryl 

• Like 1